Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK 22:56 - Aug 1 with 17997 viewsgtsb1966

Anyone watch it. I did. I don't understand it to be honest. I can't understand how people of the same sex can be attracted to each other. It doesn't bother me but the programme was about violence towards the gay community. Does gay pride fuel the fire?
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:00 - Aug 1 with 7422 viewsm14_blue

I can't understand how anyone can like baked beans. Everyone's different innit.

What is really hard to understand is why anyone would get so upset by someone being different to them that they would want to physically attack them. Insecure bellends would be my scientific analysis.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:03 - Aug 1 with 7402 viewsgtsb1966

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:00 - Aug 1 by m14_blue

I can't understand how anyone can like baked beans. Everyone's different innit.

What is really hard to understand is why anyone would get so upset by someone being different to them that they would want to physically attack them. Insecure bellends would be my scientific analysis.

What surprised me about the programme tonight was that the main protagonist was a woman!!!
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:03 - Aug 1 with 7397 viewsMJallday

i didnt either, but then i googled lesbians and everything seemed much better after that.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:05 - Aug 1 with 7379 viewsBackToRussia

Good Lord man

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:06 - Aug 1 with 7376 viewsgtsb1966

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:03 - Aug 1 by MJallday

i didnt either, but then i googled lesbians and everything seemed much better after that.

For some I agree. They don't think of that.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:07 - Aug 1 with 7370 viewsgtsb1966

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:05 - Aug 1 by BackToRussia

Good Lord man

I said I don't understand it not that it is wrong. The people who who have hurt the people are wrong.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:11 - Aug 1 with 7356 viewsJ2BLUE

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:07 - Aug 1 by gtsb1966

I said I don't understand it not that it is wrong. The people who who have hurt the people are wrong.

If you understand how a man can be attracted to a woman and how a woman can be attracted to a man is it really that much of a leap to think some people are attracted to the same sex?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:17 - Aug 1 with 7309 viewsMJallday

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:11 - Aug 1 by J2BLUE

If you understand how a man can be attracted to a woman and how a woman can be attracted to a man is it really that much of a leap to think some people are attracted to the same sex?

the videos really do help .

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:18 - Aug 1 with 7304 viewsJ2BLUE

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:17 - Aug 1 by MJallday

the videos really do help .

They've helped me many times...

Truly impaired.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:21 - Aug 1 with 7289 viewsLord_Lucan

I "Think" what GTSB was trying to say - but maybe didn't come over as such was that he hasn't anything against gay people but doesn't himself has any homosexual tendencies.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:21 - Aug 1 with 7295 viewsgtsb1966

To me...yes. Why are we built the way we are. The thing is nobody can have an opinion on here anymore. Homophobic, racist etc are regularly used on here.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:23 - Aug 1 with 7287 viewsJ2BLUE

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:21 - Aug 1 by Lord_Lucan

I "Think" what GTSB was trying to say - but maybe didn't come over as such was that he hasn't anything against gay people but doesn't himself has any homosexual tendencies.

It was an odd way of saying it if so. I'm not looking to go on the attack. There are some things I don't understand either.

Truly impaired.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:23 - Aug 1 with 7278 viewsJ2BLUE

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:21 - Aug 1 by gtsb1966

To me...yes. Why are we built the way we are. The thing is nobody can have an opinion on here anymore. Homophobic, racist etc are regularly used on here.

You're welcome to your opinion. I didn't downvote you.

Truly impaired.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:24 - Aug 1 with 7264 viewsLord_Lucan

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:23 - Aug 1 by J2BLUE

It was an odd way of saying it if so. I'm not looking to go on the attack. There are some things I don't understand either.

Cooking.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:26 - Aug 1 with 7271 viewsSarge

There's not much to understand. Being gay is as much a choice as being black is. It just happens.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:27 - Aug 1 with 7264 viewsgtsb1966

Everyone could see what you saw. They chose not to . I won't sleep now.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:27 - Aug 1 with 7261 viewsMJallday

well i wouldnt f**k him - and im not picky.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:40 - Aug 1 with 7186 viewsRyorry

There's a first time for everything - and for the first time in about 20 years on here, I'm so gobsmacked that I'm lost for words!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:45 - Aug 1 with 7160 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I don't understand how a woman can be attracted to a man. If I were a woman I'd be 100% lesbos
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:55 - Aug 1 with 7114 viewsLord_Lucan

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 23:45 - Aug 1 by FrowsyArmLarry

I don't understand how a woman can be attracted to a man. If I were a woman I'd be 100% lesbos

I am a lesbian, trapped in a mans body.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 00:41 - Aug 2 with 7107 viewsconnorscontract

You watched the programme and say that it doesn't bother you and in another post say that the people committing the violence are in the wrong, so I'll take your questions at face value. Part of the difficulty here is that fear of causing offence, or of being accused of being prejudiced means that those, particularly of older generations, who are expected to change their views and values to be more inclusive don't feel able to ask questions or talk about it honestly.

So...

You raise 2 main issues.

1) you don't understand how people of the same sex can be attracted to each other.

2) you ask why there is violence towards gay people, and ask whether gay pride fuels the fire.

1) Psychologists and Geneticists are divided on the extent to which sexuality is genetically presdisposed and the extent to which it is socially learned, acquired behaviour. This is called the Nature (genes) v Nurture (learned behaviour) debate. Whilst there have been strong proponents of either position over the years the prevailing consensus is that both play a role, and that predispositions may be switched on or off through life experiences.

That's quite a dry debate, though, and people often take one or other position for their own reasons. For example, those who hate gay people may argue that homosexuality is unnatural (that is argue against the genetic theory) and the result of corruption, entrapment or, as some psychologists have done in the past, the result of a failure of bonding or the result of the absence of a father figure.

In contrast, and in response to the tone of some of these psychological theories (homosexuality was classified as a disorder in the American Diagnostic Manuals used in every US hospital within the last 40 years) and especially in response to those who rant against homosexuals as "unnatural" or "p3rverted", many within the gay pride movement have wanted to emphasise the genetic theories to be able to say "I was born this way".

So the dry debate heats up. But it doesn't get to the heart of your question, really. What is sexual attraction? When does it start? How does it develop? What were the points along that journey that you remember?

Do you remember shivering with excitement as you were about to experience a new milestone sexually? Well, for gay people it's the same, but they get that response when anticipating intimacy with someone of the same sex. Do you sometimes find yourself just a little bit more keen to talk to someone, that there is a bit of a spark there, that you are flirting? Well, for gay people they get that feeling with someone of the same sex.

That's the heart of it. Heart beating faster, pupils opening wider, looking at the shape of another's body, electricity on touching an arm, oh and er3ct pen1ses and n1pples or mo1stness, the same physical responses and the same desire to be touched, held, loved, f0ndled or to take or be taken, but in response to the close physical proximity of someone of the same sex.

That's all there is to get or understand. It's just what the combination of their hormones, imaginations, and response to physical closeness does to their body. Some blokes fancy blokes. Some women fancy women. Some blokes fancy women. Some women fancy blokes.

I'm assuming that you are a bloke, and from what you are saying here, that you fancy women Can you understand how women can fancy blokes, even though you are not a woman and don't fancy blokes? Well, it's like that. Only a bit different.

2) The history of the repression of homosexuality in this country (and abroad, but that's for another time) goes back quite a long way, although there is evidence that there have been prominent gay people in the Royal Courts who were completely accepted, and indeed very influential, going back centuries. But the roots are many and varied, and include religious teachings.

But let's be honest, most of the white people who indulge in qu3er-bashing are more likely to be in right wing gangs than Sunday School. So what is it about the sociology of these gangs and the psychology of their members that causes them to attack gay people?

For some there may be Far Right political doctrine that influences them. H1tler, and other Naz1s, presented a vision of society based on an ideal type of German citizen. He drew on the philosophy of Nietsche and deplored those he saw as lesser and weaker specimens of humanity. Freud's teachings on psychology were still prevalent and homosexuality was seen as the result of failures to bond and thrive and make appropriate relationships. Homosexual culture, represented in the 20's and 30's cabaret and jazz scenes in Germany was seen as decadent, corrupting and un-German. Many gay people were sent to concentration camps, and died there, as a result of his policies.

So hatred of gays amongst Far Right groups has a long history.

Then there is the question of what drives people to join these groups? Disaffection with society- almost always. A feeling of having no stake in society- often. A need to belong? That's the heart of it. And these groups identify themselves by what they oppose, those who they hate. And gay people are seen by them as symptoms of a multicultural, inclusive society which they despise. Above all they are identifiably different.

But it also happens when a bunch of insecure teenage boys call another teenage boy, who stands out as different, "gay" in an insulting way. Or pick on those few individuals who come out as gay whilst still at school. In these cases a need to fit in, and possibly insecurity about their own sexuality or fear of standing out, leads to verbal or physical abuse.

So to blame Pride is to miss the point, unless you also want to blame anyone who goes to a pop concert for inflaming Jihadi terrorism. Pride is a response to the fear of coming out by brave and strong people who have done it already, sometimes at cost to their acceptance within their family or to the detriment of their career. Pride is their way of encouraging others who haven't yet made that step to embrace self-acceptance.

There will always be hate, but we really shouldn't blame those who suffer the violence.

Two films that may help you to understand further: American Beauty (which covers, amongst other themes, the way in which repressing homosexuality can lead to hatred of homosexuals) and recent Oscar contender "Moonlight" which tells the story of a young African American's journey to adulthood and raises many questions around nature and nurture, identity and sexuality.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 0:47]
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 02:00 - Aug 2 with 7027 viewsmos

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 00:41 - Aug 2 by connorscontract

You watched the programme and say that it doesn't bother you and in another post say that the people committing the violence are in the wrong, so I'll take your questions at face value. Part of the difficulty here is that fear of causing offence, or of being accused of being prejudiced means that those, particularly of older generations, who are expected to change their views and values to be more inclusive don't feel able to ask questions or talk about it honestly.

So...

You raise 2 main issues.

1) you don't understand how people of the same sex can be attracted to each other.

2) you ask why there is violence towards gay people, and ask whether gay pride fuels the fire.

1) Psychologists and Geneticists are divided on the extent to which sexuality is genetically presdisposed and the extent to which it is socially learned, acquired behaviour. This is called the Nature (genes) v Nurture (learned behaviour) debate. Whilst there have been strong proponents of either position over the years the prevailing consensus is that both play a role, and that predispositions may be switched on or off through life experiences.

That's quite a dry debate, though, and people often take one or other position for their own reasons. For example, those who hate gay people may argue that homosexuality is unnatural (that is argue against the genetic theory) and the result of corruption, entrapment or, as some psychologists have done in the past, the result of a failure of bonding or the result of the absence of a father figure.

In contrast, and in response to the tone of some of these psychological theories (homosexuality was classified as a disorder in the American Diagnostic Manuals used in every US hospital within the last 40 years) and especially in response to those who rant against homosexuals as "unnatural" or "p3rverted", many within the gay pride movement have wanted to emphasise the genetic theories to be able to say "I was born this way".

So the dry debate heats up. But it doesn't get to the heart of your question, really. What is sexual attraction? When does it start? How does it develop? What were the points along that journey that you remember?

Do you remember shivering with excitement as you were about to experience a new milestone sexually? Well, for gay people it's the same, but they get that response when anticipating intimacy with someone of the same sex. Do you sometimes find yourself just a little bit more keen to talk to someone, that there is a bit of a spark there, that you are flirting? Well, for gay people they get that feeling with someone of the same sex.

That's the heart of it. Heart beating faster, pupils opening wider, looking at the shape of another's body, electricity on touching an arm, oh and er3ct pen1ses and n1pples or mo1stness, the same physical responses and the same desire to be touched, held, loved, f0ndled or to take or be taken, but in response to the close physical proximity of someone of the same sex.

That's all there is to get or understand. It's just what the combination of their hormones, imaginations, and response to physical closeness does to their body. Some blokes fancy blokes. Some women fancy women. Some blokes fancy women. Some women fancy blokes.

I'm assuming that you are a bloke, and from what you are saying here, that you fancy women Can you understand how women can fancy blokes, even though you are not a woman and don't fancy blokes? Well, it's like that. Only a bit different.

2) The history of the repression of homosexuality in this country (and abroad, but that's for another time) goes back quite a long way, although there is evidence that there have been prominent gay people in the Royal Courts who were completely accepted, and indeed very influential, going back centuries. But the roots are many and varied, and include religious teachings.

But let's be honest, most of the white people who indulge in qu3er-bashing are more likely to be in right wing gangs than Sunday School. So what is it about the sociology of these gangs and the psychology of their members that causes them to attack gay people?

For some there may be Far Right political doctrine that influences them. H1tler, and other Naz1s, presented a vision of society based on an ideal type of German citizen. He drew on the philosophy of Nietsche and deplored those he saw as lesser and weaker specimens of humanity. Freud's teachings on psychology were still prevalent and homosexuality was seen as the result of failures to bond and thrive and make appropriate relationships. Homosexual culture, represented in the 20's and 30's cabaret and jazz scenes in Germany was seen as decadent, corrupting and un-German. Many gay people were sent to concentration camps, and died there, as a result of his policies.

Then there is the question of what drives people to join these groups? Disaffection with society- almost always. A feeling of having no stake in society- often. A need to belong? That's the heart of it. And these groups identify themselves by what they oppose, those who they hate. And gay people are seen by them as symptoms of a multicultural, inclusive society which they despise. Above all they are identifiably different.

But it also happens when a bunch of insecure teenage boys call another teenage boy, who stands out as different, "gay" in an insulting way. Or pick on those few individuals who come out as gay whilst still at school. In these cases a need to fit in, and possibly insecurity about their own sexuality or fear of standing out, leads to verbal or physical abuse.

So to blame Pride is to miss the point, unless you also want to blame anyone who goes to a pop concert for inflaming Jihadi terrorism. Pride is a response to the fear of coming out by brave and strong people who have done it already, sometimes at cost to their acceptance within their family or to the detriment of their career. Pride is their way of encouraging others who haven't yet made that step to embrace self-acceptance.

There will always be hate, but we really shouldn't blame those who suffer the violence.

Two films that may help you to understand further: American Beauty (which covers, amongst other themes, the way in which repressing homosexuality can lead to hatred of homosexuals) and recent Oscar contender "Moonlight" which tells the story of a young African American's journey to adulthood and raises many questions around nature and nurture, identity and sexuality.

Fully agreed.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 02:16 - Aug 2 with 7018 viewsBlue_Blob

So...

You raise 2 main issues.

Feck me, this is an answer and a half. Good work.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 02:40 - Aug 2 with 7010 viewsRyorry

So...

You raise 2 main issues.

Full marks for an outstanding reply CC, I'll read it more thoroughly at a sensible time.

Just a quick response from me meanwhile re the 'nature v nurture' debate. Anyone who's had pets or observed sheep and cattle in their fields, will have seen all genders mounting each other, both opposites and same sex. It's natural & frequent behaviour amongst animals, and that includes both juveniles and adults.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 05:12 - Aug 2 with 6958 viewsBenters

Make love not war.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024