Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... 08:16 - Feb 1 with 5660 viewsitfcjoe

......as much as you want - but ultimately good players win games.

We don't have enough of them, and the ones we have had over the last 18 months haven't been able to stay fit (Murphy, McGoldrick, Fraser, Williams, Bishop, Webster now)

You look at the level of signing we have brought in in this window, and frankly it is an utter embarrassment. We are going absolutely nowhere as the squad, fundamentally, isn't good enough.

The signings yesterday were an absolute joke - no offence to Samuel and Huws as they are 2 players that if they were on permanent deals I'd have been well happy with - but on loan shows what Evans ambitions are for the club.

January was their chance to save season ticket sales for next year - they've compounded it and will lose more season tickets, more corporate customers, more academy sponsors and the club will have less money.

If Evans spends £6m a year, and that is balanced out with £15m of transfer fees since start of 2014/15 then he's barely put a penny in. We are back at the stage of Sheepy and needing to sell a player every year to balance the books.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:57 - Feb 1 with 1090 viewsLankHenners

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:55 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

They were good enough for top 8 3 seasons in a row, and if they have deteriorated so badly - who's in charge of their development?

You are just ignoring the Lincoln game. It was the perfect litmus test for McCarthy's style. It clearly indicated, over a home and away leg, that with a far superior and expensive bunch of players, McCarthy still can't organize a team to even create a chance.

His time is over.

We finished 7th last season and limped to defeat against Portsmouth.

Cup games under McCarthy are no real indicator of anything at all really, other than he just really doesn't give a flying one about the competition.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:00 - Feb 1 with 1067 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:50 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

Brighton are winning the Championship - last thing they need is a cup distraction. They had more possession and numerous chances as well.

It's the first thing we needed as our league campaign was well over.

There's no excuse for not beating Lincoln over 2 legs, let alone being unable to create any chances and being dominated for possession.

MM's tried to blend our pathetic performances against Lincoln in with Leeds and Brighton's throwaway one-off defeats. And the pro-MMers have bought into it. It's BS. There's no comparison. We were at home and full strength and we made them look like Derby.

No one is making excuses for Lincoln, no fan, Mick, Milne or Evans - it was an absolute shower of sh*t.

But at the end of the day a cup defeat isn't that important.

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:02 - Feb 1 with 1061 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:57 - Feb 1 by LankHenners

We finished 7th last season and limped to defeat against Portsmouth.

Cup games under McCarthy are no real indicator of anything at all really, other than he just really doesn't give a flying one about the competition.

We had something to play for when we played Portsmouth. We were 7th as you say (with the same squad except we had Murphy instead of Lawrence).

McCarthy played a full strength side at home to Lincoln. We scored 2 long range shots that should have been saved and mustered very little else.

Lincoln haven't spent £millions - in fact they've done the absolute opposite. We make any opposing team look impressive because we're so badly organised and lacking cohesion - with a squad built over 4 years by the same manager!
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:03 - Feb 1 with 1052 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:55 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

They were good enough for top 8 3 seasons in a row, and if they have deteriorated so badly - who's in charge of their development?

You are just ignoring the Lincoln game. It was the perfect litmus test for McCarthy's style. It clearly indicated, over a home and away leg, that with a far superior and expensive bunch of players, McCarthy still can't organize a team to even create a chance.

His time is over.

Well they aren't now.

The standard has improved, they don't have a fantastic striker covering any holes, and some have aged and a plethora of other reasons.

Mick looks a manager bereft of ideas currently, battle wearied - probably mentaly drained at trying to turn water into wine for so long and not getting the backing

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:04 - Feb 1 with 1045 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:02 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

We had something to play for when we played Portsmouth. We were 7th as you say (with the same squad except we had Murphy instead of Lawrence).

McCarthy played a full strength side at home to Lincoln. We scored 2 long range shots that should have been saved and mustered very little else.

Lincoln haven't spent £millions - in fact they've done the absolute opposite. We make any opposing team look impressive because we're so badly organised and lacking cohesion - with a squad built over 4 years by the same manager!

Why don't you just give over about Lincoln - it clearly isn't that important.

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:07 - Feb 1 with 1037 viewsWacko

I disagree. Chelsea and Leicester this season and last season support me.

Our players are good enough. It's the spirit and the philosophy that's lacking. They have no plan.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:12 - Feb 1 with 1019 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:00 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

No one is making excuses for Lincoln, no fan, Mick, Milne or Evans - it was an absolute shower of sh*t.

But at the end of the day a cup defeat isn't that important.

Lincoln (H and A) was a shower of sh*t, but so was Stevenage (H), Brentford (A), Reading (A), Leeds (A), Huddersfield (H and A), Newcastle (A), Rotherham (H), Forest (H), Bristol City (A), Cardiff (H), Birmingham (A), Fulham (H) and now Derby (H).

All utter, utter sh*te performances.

Even a couple of our wins were turgid displays but I left them out because we won.

The point being, the 2 Lincoln games weren't the exceptions - they're the best examples.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 12:13]
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:12 - Feb 1 with 1018 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:07 - Feb 1 by Wacko

Our players are good enough. It's the spirit and the philosophy that's lacking. They have no plan.

And where are they both this season.

Last year was an outlier whereas this year is just regression back to the mean.

There are very few clubs that consistently over perform compared to budgets - we have done for the last 2 seasons but going back to our expected place is just what has happened.

Login to get fewer ads

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:17 - Feb 1 with 993 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:12 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

Lincoln (H and A) was a shower of sh*t, but so was Stevenage (H), Brentford (A), Reading (A), Leeds (A), Huddersfield (H and A), Newcastle (A), Rotherham (H), Forest (H), Bristol City (A), Cardiff (H), Birmingham (A), Fulham (H) and now Derby (H).

All utter, utter sh*te performances.

Even a couple of our wins were turgid displays but I left them out because we won.

The point being, the 2 Lincoln games weren't the exceptions - they're the best examples.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 12:13]

I'm out of this, i can't be bothered to bang my head against a brick wall.

Squad is miles from being good enough, manager is clearly struggling and scratching around to find something that works - but ultimately without funding we are going nowhere.

We lost to Lincoln, we were rubbish, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that important.

Spend some money, buy some quality, or get some quality fit and we'll be better - it really is as simple as that.

A new manager at the moment would probably perk it up for a while - but it's rearrangning the deck chairs on the titanic.

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:26 - Feb 1 with 976 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:17 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

I'm out of this, i can't be bothered to bang my head against a brick wall.

Squad is miles from being good enough, manager is clearly struggling and scratching around to find something that works - but ultimately without funding we are going nowhere.

We lost to Lincoln, we were rubbish, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that important.

Spend some money, buy some quality, or get some quality fit and we'll be better - it really is as simple as that.

A new manager at the moment would probably perk it up for a while - but it's rearrangning the deck chairs on the titanic.

The feeling's mutual!

Squad is miles away from good enough for what? Creating a chance?

It really isn't as simple as that - Wolves found that out.

A new manager would at least turn our home games into home games. Most fans wan't him gone and he's done nothing to prove them wrong. Getting rid would instantly improve us and the home atmosphere.

Will we create a chance against Reading? They've sold loads of players and changed manager. How are they doing? Huddersfield did the same, they must be down there without the grit. Even QPR putting results together. The team we beat 3-0 the other month. It must be magic.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:36 - Feb 1 with 951 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:26 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

The feeling's mutual!

Squad is miles away from good enough for what? Creating a chance?

It really isn't as simple as that - Wolves found that out.

A new manager would at least turn our home games into home games. Most fans wan't him gone and he's done nothing to prove them wrong. Getting rid would instantly improve us and the home atmosphere.

Will we create a chance against Reading? They've sold loads of players and changed manager. How are they doing? Huddersfield did the same, they must be down there without the grit. Even QPR putting results together. The team we beat 3-0 the other month. It must be magic.

Reading - their wage bill was double ours last year, they have spent millions have bought in high quality loans from the PL. They are investing big.

Huddersfield - They are doing brilliantly on a small budget, similar to how we have done in the previous few seasons.

QPR - picked up 13 points in 11 games since changing manager (and have huge budget). We've taken 14 points in that time.

Your examples are crap and show no understanding of the Championship in it's current form

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:48 - Feb 1 with 917 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:36 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

Reading - their wage bill was double ours last year, they have spent millions have bought in high quality loans from the PL. They are investing big.

Huddersfield - They are doing brilliantly on a small budget, similar to how we have done in the previous few seasons.

QPR - picked up 13 points in 11 games since changing manager (and have huge budget). We've taken 14 points in that time.

Your examples are crap and show no understanding of the Championship in it's current form

I don't follow those teams, they're cack examples then. You ignored the other points.

I only care about ITFC, and we can't create a chance against a conference side over 2 legs.

Your head will be out of McCarthy's arse when we're relegated.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 12:49]
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 13:08 - Feb 1 with 885 viewstractorboy1978

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:29 - Feb 1 by Superfrans

Never quite understand this argument.

"The boys" spending £400 a month get exactly what they sign up to - no guarantee of anything other than 23 x 90 minute home matches every season, in the Championship.

Anyone who believes they are guaranteed anything else - entertainment, success, a warm seat doesn't understand what they're buying. There really is one simple sanction - don't buy a season ticket.

I will probably do so again. Not sure why. But it is my own free choice.

I expect to be guaranteed honesty and an acceptable level of transparency as to what the intentions of the owner are. How much I pay is quite irrelevant to me - whether it be £50, £400 or £5k I expect that basic common courtesy. And that is why after 20 years I will not be renewing. I don't trust the owner, I don't trust the MD and anything either says to try and convince me otherwise will not wash based on past experience.

Barely a month ago we were fed a 5 point plan plan that reeks of us being told what he perceives we want to hear - it has been blown out of the water already with our actions this window.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 13:26 - Feb 1 with 861 viewschislehurstblue

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:22 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

I don't want the moon on the stick, just a team that is capable of creating chances against teams in the same division let alone a team that aren't in the football league.

Brighton had more possession and more shots on target in their one game than we did over two. Pathetic comparison between that and our 2 legged affair - especially as we played a full strength team at home. I don't know about the Sutton match but it was 1 away leg, and Leeds have the league to focus on. They've got a right and a reason to not care - MM has no excuse.

Good enough to be in a top 8 team? Bialkowski, Berra, Smith, Chambers, Skuse, Hyam, Bishop (who MM drops for Douglas), Lawrence, Pitman, McGoldrick, Sears before MM turned him into a cack winger. You can argue that they aren't top 8 players but we got in the top 8 with most of those players 3 seasons in a row. They're underperforming and the buck stops at Mick.

We haven't sold our best players year on year, we sold Mings after the playoffs and Murphy in August, that's it. Murphy was 33 anyway, it was a no-brainer sale. Did you read that Wolves article? MM's style hits a ceiling regardless of money spent. £35 million in Wolves's case (and 2 subsequent relegations with those players after he left).

I don't get to many games, but what's that got to do with anything? Are we creating loads of chances and getting loads of shots on target that are being covered up by Ipswich player HD?

Ah yes the MM ruined Sears line - Sears is awful. There was a reason he was at Colchester before us and we did we buy him. He was offered to us on the cheap.

We have sold Cresswell, Mings, Murphy and be the looks of it Chambers yesterday (not one of our best players) but captain and an important part of the team. Evans will sell anyone now and give the very a little as possible to MM to reinvest in the squad. If ME wasnt going to invest the year we were 2nd on Boxing day then he wont now.

We have the league to focus on. We arent safe by any means and also before last nights game just 10 points off the play offs. What you really mean is its ok for other sides to loss to non league teams but not us. Right - got you. Brighton can get beat 3-1 yet when we lose in the 90th min its so very different. Yes, we were awful, but you cant say that its different to any other side losing to a non league club.

We had chances last night and maybe should have had a pen and McGoldrick had a good chance. The issue is that the players arent very good. The players are a year older than last year, probably dont see the ambition from the owner and have lost interest in the club as much as the fans have

Bart is top 8, Berra been awful this season, so no. Smith prone to a huge mistake once a game and isnt one of the best 2 CBS in the squad! Hyam worse than Douglas (but like Smith is seen a excellent as youth team players) Chambers is an average defender at best and talk of him being a top 8 player on here will get you killed) Skuke - average. Bishop gone backwards this year after a year out injured (nothing to do with MM, in fact Douglas has played better than him this season - but the fans dont want to see that) McGoldrick injured and to be honest hasnt offered much this season

For me Bart, Webster and Lawrence only players we have that are in a top 8 side.

MM did get Wolves up out of this division with a little bit of money

No doubt you moan about the style of play then suggest we get Rowett in.....
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 14:00 - Feb 1 with 832 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:52 - Feb 1 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

If this window has taught me anything is that Mick will now be gone in the summer, if not before. Our January business was all about spending the bare minimum to get us through to the end of this season and hopefully keep us in this league.

Last nights game especially the first half was comparable to having Jewell back in charge, it was an absolute embarrassment and both Mick and the players should take responsibility for that.

For me the players certainly don't look like they are playing for Mick anymore and what worries me more is that we could lose the next 5/6 games like last night and I doubt Evans would sack Mick. Its depressing knowing this is what its going to be like for the next few months-just hoping to win a few games to keep us in this league, no ambition!

I am still on the fence regarding renewing my season ticket at the min too, the only thing that Evans can use to possibly tempt me is a new manager coming in the summer with funds, think that's probably what will be used as well and the early bird deadline will be extended-whether we have lost too many season tickets by then we will have to wait and see.

All is not well with our beloved ITFC :(

totally agree - with this.

the loanees re here for a ride - they will be leaving at the end of the season.

will they give their all - when the shxt hits the fan???

we are on the slippy slope without any brakes - Hold Tight.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 14:20 - Feb 1 with 814 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 13:26 - Feb 1 by chislehurstblue

Ah yes the MM ruined Sears line - Sears is awful. There was a reason he was at Colchester before us and we did we buy him. He was offered to us on the cheap.

We have sold Cresswell, Mings, Murphy and be the looks of it Chambers yesterday (not one of our best players) but captain and an important part of the team. Evans will sell anyone now and give the very a little as possible to MM to reinvest in the squad. If ME wasnt going to invest the year we were 2nd on Boxing day then he wont now.

We have the league to focus on. We arent safe by any means and also before last nights game just 10 points off the play offs. What you really mean is its ok for other sides to loss to non league teams but not us. Right - got you. Brighton can get beat 3-1 yet when we lose in the 90th min its so very different. Yes, we were awful, but you cant say that its different to any other side losing to a non league club.

We had chances last night and maybe should have had a pen and McGoldrick had a good chance. The issue is that the players arent very good. The players are a year older than last year, probably dont see the ambition from the owner and have lost interest in the club as much as the fans have

Bart is top 8, Berra been awful this season, so no. Smith prone to a huge mistake once a game and isnt one of the best 2 CBS in the squad! Hyam worse than Douglas (but like Smith is seen a excellent as youth team players) Chambers is an average defender at best and talk of him being a top 8 player on here will get you killed) Skuke - average. Bishop gone backwards this year after a year out injured (nothing to do with MM, in fact Douglas has played better than him this season - but the fans dont want to see that) McGoldrick injured and to be honest hasnt offered much this season

For me Bart, Webster and Lawrence only players we have that are in a top 8 side.

MM did get Wolves up out of this division with a little bit of money

No doubt you moan about the style of play then suggest we get Rowett in.....

Our opinions on players are different - everyone said Jewell's players were all terrible, then MM came in and recorded arguably his best sequence of results and unarguably our best defensive sequence.

That run, when MM came in and worked with Jewell's "terrible" squad, along with the winter run in our playoff season are the only times McCarthy's put together a really impressive sequence of form. Of those terrible players who were no doubt "not top 8", got into the top 8 for the next 3 seasons.

Sears was scoring 1 in 2 until McCarthy turned him into a winger. Pitman, who McCarthy views as a targetman despite spending his entire career as a poacher, has never hit the form Sears was in until McCarthy switched the latter's position.

Those chances we had last night was when we were already 3-0 down. We rarely come back from 1 down so Derby were never threatened by us at all. What a straw to clutch.

I wouldn't be against Rowett coming in - anyone coming in now would give the fans and the squad the boost we so desperately need. Our home ground would be a home ground again and we'd ave round pegs in round holes. Rowett's at least younger and isn't just dining out on his Birmingham days, he earnt his reputation at Burton. I don't know how Burton played but he can be proud of the results throughout his managerial career.

Rowett as an appointment by ME wouldn't be too bad. Rowett's Birmingham were never going down, McCarthy's Ipswich are gonna be right in the mix.

Ultimately though, ME should p*ss off and a proper plan with a manager who will continue the work done by Klug should be employed. If ME's making money from this venture then that ain't gonna happen.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 14:33 - Feb 1 with 799 viewstextbackup

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 11:29 - Feb 1 by Superfrans

Never quite understand this argument.

"The boys" spending £400 a month get exactly what they sign up to - no guarantee of anything other than 23 x 90 minute home matches every season, in the Championship.

Anyone who believes they are guaranteed anything else - entertainment, success, a warm seat doesn't understand what they're buying. There really is one simple sanction - don't buy a season ticket.

I will probably do so again. Not sure why. But it is my own free choice.

You've completely misread this, as I too don't think a fan should expect anything from the club in return, entertainment etc(I'm talking purely if the club tell us they'll invest the Murphy money then that's what they do)
That was my point

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 14:40 - Feb 1 with 792 viewsNo9

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 12:07 - Feb 1 by Wacko

I would take issue with this. I don't see may players in Town shirts who can ho,d their own in this division.
Many lack the basic skills like being able to rap & hold the ball, make space for other to run into, keep body between ball & goal, all stuff you are taught in your early football years seems missing from Towns squad.
Even if a 'new boy' shows up with those attrinuteds they seem to evaporate in a very short space of time.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 14:54 - Feb 1 with 774 viewscasanovacrow

Regardless. Those who blame Mick obviously know who put him, Keane and Jewel there. The fish rots from its head.
Evans has no clue what he's doing. He took a gamble, lost, now it seems its a damage limitation exercise. He's the modern day capitalist poster boy.
Huge disconnect between what he says and does, how many of the signings we made have remotely fitted in with this 5-point plan PR stunt he pulled? He's clueless how to run a football club.
If you try to run one as a money making business you disappear like Blackpool did. The similarity between the 5h1t coming from Milne/Evans is frighteningly similar to what Blackpool said when they dropped out of the Championship ..like us they made a profit that year too ..and assured fans that it showed how well the club was being ran.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024