Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skuse ? 10:46 - Feb 5 with 9764 viewsjpring89

Would it be safe to say our midfield is better without him ?

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Skuse ? on 13:18 - Feb 6 with 1118 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 09:12 - Feb 6 by finidiwoah

The criticism is that as a midfielder even a defensive one which seems for some reason to be his get out clause he doesn't win a header, put in a hard tackle that will make a team like Derby (who ran riot in midfield by the way) think about jogging past him with the ball. He doesn't pick anybody up mentally or try and boost the morale or get the crowd/other players going either by winning a big 50/50 tackle and letting others feed off it or by talking people up, communicating, encouraging. He coasts and he hides up. The worst of all of this is he doesn't show for the ball - he "times his movement perfectly" as you put it previously - to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it - that is CRIMINAL for a centre midfielder.

That is where the game is won and lost with the speed and tempo of the game, the biggest battle in the middle of the park - he doesn't win any of those things!!

He isn't all bad agreed but has some very serious flaws in his game the biggest being not willing to get on the ball.

He reads a game well at times and sometimes makes a tackle that everyone thinks is brilliant - but he's been able to make that tackle because he sits so deep and so far away from the play that he has a 10/15 yard head start on anyone breaking.

Time will tell - but for me Cole Skuse is currently causing us more problems than he's solving!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 9:15]

In a nutshell, bang on.
Skuse ? on 14:38 - Feb 6 with 1076 viewsVaughan8

Skuse ? on 09:12 - Feb 6 by finidiwoah

The criticism is that as a midfielder even a defensive one which seems for some reason to be his get out clause he doesn't win a header, put in a hard tackle that will make a team like Derby (who ran riot in midfield by the way) think about jogging past him with the ball. He doesn't pick anybody up mentally or try and boost the morale or get the crowd/other players going either by winning a big 50/50 tackle and letting others feed off it or by talking people up, communicating, encouraging. He coasts and he hides up. The worst of all of this is he doesn't show for the ball - he "times his movement perfectly" as you put it previously - to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it - that is CRIMINAL for a centre midfielder.

That is where the game is won and lost with the speed and tempo of the game, the biggest battle in the middle of the park - he doesn't win any of those things!!

He isn't all bad agreed but has some very serious flaws in his game the biggest being not willing to get on the ball.

He reads a game well at times and sometimes makes a tackle that everyone thinks is brilliant - but he's been able to make that tackle because he sits so deep and so far away from the play that he has a 10/15 yard head start on anyone breaking.

Time will tell - but for me Cole Skuse is currently causing us more problems than he's solving!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 9:15]

This is what I could not put into words myself.

excellent analysis and I agree with lot if not all of it.
Skuse ? on 14:41 - Feb 6 with 1067 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 11:36 - Feb 6 by OsborneOneNil

Skuse hinders more than helps. It's clear to see.

Did you watch the Bristol City or Lincoln away? As a previous poster describes, Skuse literally moved into a position so that an opposition player was between himself and the team mate who had the ball. He didn't want to receive the ball........criminal.

I don't believe that for a second.

Yes I watched Lincoln away.

EDIT: I should add that I was talking about Saturday's game. Skuse going off was not the catalyst for our good performance. We were already performing well.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:43]

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Skuse ? on 15:04 - Feb 6 with 1053 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 12:49 - Feb 6 by finidiwoah

Which part of my comment did you disagree with Dolly out of interest?

Mainly that "He coasts and he hides up...he "times his movement perfectly" to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it."

To suggest he hides behind oppo players so he can't get the ball is ludicrous. He's an experienced professional footballer with a huge desire to win. I've never heard of a footballer who doesn't want the ball.

Are you suggesting he's scared of it or something?

Skuse ? on 15:06 - Feb 6 with 1049 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think it is worse without him, if everyone was fit.

Currently he is a decent player, but is a defensive midfielder in a team that can only keep a clean sheet when he has Douglas alongside him as a 2nd defensive midfielder. As soon as we have only one DM (Skuse) we conced too many goals.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Skuse ? on 15:23 - Feb 6 with 1020 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 14:41 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

EDIT: I should add that I was talking about Saturday's game. Skuse going off was not the catalyst for our good performance. We were already performing well.

I didn't see saturday

But Bristol City, he did exactly that. I said to my brother to watch Skuse and nothing else for 5-10 mins......it was amazing how he constantly made himself unavailable.
Skuse ? on 15:23 - Feb 6 with 1017 viewsfinidiwoah

Skuse ? on 15:04 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

Mainly that "He coasts and he hides up...he "times his movement perfectly" to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it."

To suggest he hides behind oppo players so he can't get the ball is ludicrous. He's an experienced professional footballer with a huge desire to win. I've never heard of a footballer who doesn't want the ball.

It seems ludicrous I agree - but it is true.....

Particularly against Derby the other day he really did not want the ball and with the 3 in centre mid(Butterfield/Bryson and Johnson) that Derby had he was moving in behind them as not to be able to give an option to a Knudsen or Berra or even Bru at times, to relieve them of the ball even if it was just to give it back to the same player and changes the dimension of play or where opposition players are - he wasn't willing to receive the ball.

I'm not sure him being scared of it is the right way of putting it - but he just wasn't ever showing as an option or willing to put himself in a position to get the ball or help a team mate and give it to another one or hoof it whatever instructions he has from the manager. At some points he almost looks in the opposite direction and walks away from the player as if to say - you cant give it to me, i'm not looking for it.

As a midfielder that is criminal - especially for one that doesn't win the ball either in the air or on the ground particularly well(he isn't a dominant type player is what I mean by that) and he doesn't attack, score or link up play at all either.... if he doesn't do any of those and isn't vocal - what is he other than a passenger?

I am not trying to use him as a scapegoat for everything bad about our performance(far from it) - but personally I think it goes some way to or general loss of a midfield battle most weeks!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 15:26]
Skuse ? on 15:24 - Feb 6 with 1016 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 15:04 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

There you go, Dolly, same as I said. He did hide, others see it.
Login to get fewer ads

Skuse ? on 15:28 - Feb 6 with 1006 viewsgreenkingtone

Er........yes!
Skuse ? on 16:48 - Feb 6 with 948 viewspowinswitch

Skuse ? on 14:41 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

I am old and ancient and don't know how to use this system properly. The stuff below I posted on Feb 1st. Trust me Skuse was hiding on Tuesday night v Derby. He is a midfielder for chrissake. He does not do anywhere near enough going forward. I just wish I could link to this post so you could see the context in which I wrote it

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/397997/3511628/cole-skuse......-shocking!!!/#post351

Edit - I did get the link in. I am not so useless after all. Well perhaps I'm not
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 16:50]
Skuse ? on 16:56 - Feb 6 with 932 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 16:48 - Feb 6 by powinswitch

I am old and ancient and don't know how to use this system properly. The stuff below I posted on Feb 1st. Trust me Skuse was hiding on Tuesday night v Derby. He is a midfielder for chrissake. He does not do anywhere near enough going forward. I just wish I could link to this post so you could see the context in which I wrote it

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/397997/3511628/cole-skuse......-shocking!!!/#post351

Edit - I did get the link in. I am not so useless after all. Well perhaps I'm not

You talk total sense, absolutely spot on.
Skuse ? on 07:01 - Feb 7 with 860 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 16:48 - Feb 6 by powinswitch

I can't comment on the Derby game, and haven't even attempted to, as I wasn't there.

Skuse ? on 07:03 - Feb 7 with 856 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 15:23 - Feb 6 by OsborneOneNil

I didn't see saturday

But Bristol City, he did exactly that. I said to my brother to watch Skuse and nothing else for 5-10 mins......it was amazing how he constantly made himself unavailable.

Well you missed an excellent performance by everyone, including Skuse.

I wasn't at Bristol City so can't comment on it.

Skuse ? on 07:16 - Feb 7 with 845 viewsBenters

Skuse ? on 12:49 - Feb 5 by fabian_illness

'Pinpoint aerial ball tactics' is how I like to describe the managers ideas.
Let's keep things positive.

Ok ba

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Skuse ? on 07:22 - Feb 7 with 839 viewspowinswitch

Skuse ? on 07:01 - Feb 7 by Dolly2.0

I can't comment on the Derby game, and haven't even attempted to, as I wasn't there.

Fair one. Genuinely. I was at Bristol City, which was an awful performance by the Town. Skuse and Douglas were anonymous. But that shouldn't shock anybody.

Skuse is not a bad footballer, and he tidies up in front of defence well. But when we have the ball he is poor. He is a midfielder and needs to do more with the ball, when we are in possession. I don't believe he is an option that will get you promoted. The first 45 minutes on Saturday suggest that we have two loanees in who may be a leap forward. Matched with ward, bishop and perhaps Rowe, then we might have the basis of a decent midfield. And who knows it might allow players like Sears to be played where they operate best.
Skuse ? on 11:51 - Feb 7 with 784 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 07:22 - Feb 7 by powinswitch

Fair one. Genuinely. I was at Bristol City, which was an awful performance by the Town. Skuse and Douglas were anonymous. But that shouldn't shock anybody.

Skuse is not a bad footballer, and he tidies up in front of defence well. But when we have the ball he is poor. He is a midfielder and needs to do more with the ball, when we are in possession. I don't believe he is an option that will get you promoted. The first 45 minutes on Saturday suggest that we have two loanees in who may be a leap forward. Matched with ward, bishop and perhaps Rowe, then we might have the basis of a decent midfield. And who knows it might allow players like Sears to be played where they operate best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not his biggest fan. I was just commenting he was part of an excellent 20 mins on Saturday, and there wasn't any huge change just because he went off.

Skuse ? on 11:54 - Feb 7 with 779 viewsNo9

Skuse ? on 11:51 - Feb 7 by Dolly2.0

Don't get me wrong, I'm not his biggest fan. I was just commenting he was part of an excellent 20 mins on Saturday, and there wasn't any huge change just because he went off.

What was good about the first 20 minutes?
It just looked more of the same
Skuse ? on 11:57 - Feb 7 with 772 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 11:54 - Feb 7 by No9

What was good about the first 20 minutes?
It just looked more of the same

That's what I mean. The whole thing was excellent. We didn't start getting excellent after Skuse went off.

Skuse ? on 12:09 - Feb 7 with 758 viewsNo9

Skuse ? on 11:57 - Feb 7 by Dolly2.0

That's what I mean. The whole thing was excellent. We didn't start getting excellent after Skuse went off.

Er, no. The first twnty minutes was not unlike the previous games at PR since the autumn.

Where were you seated?
Skuse ? on 12:17 - Feb 7 with 738 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 12:09 - Feb 7 by No9

Er, no. The first twnty minutes was not unlike the previous games at PR since the autumn.

Where were you seated?

Eh? We played well from the off. Are we talking about the same game? I'm talking about Saturday v Reading.

I sit in Lower North.

Skuse ? on 12:23 - Feb 7 with 728 viewsNo9

Skuse ? on 12:17 - Feb 7 by Dolly2.0

Eh? We played well from the off. Are we talking about the same game? I'm talking about Saturday v Reading.

I sit in Lower North.

I sit on the 1/2 way line.
It was pretty clear that after Mr Skuse left the field Town moved the game much further forward courtesy of No2 Taylor marshalling the defence and providing support to Chambers.

Tier goals came from an error near the 1/2 way line & an almost repeat of Derby's second goal.

Things still have to be learned but Saturday was good enough for me to but tickets for future games.

Live with it
Skuse ? on 12:29 - Feb 7 with 722 viewsPJH

Skuse ? on 12:23 - Feb 7 by No9

It was pretty clear that after Mr Skuse left the field Town moved the game much further forward courtesy of No2 Taylor marshalling the defence and providing support to Chambers.

Tier goals came from an error near the 1/2 way line & an almost repeat of Derby's second goal.

Things still have to be learned but Saturday was good enough for me to but tickets for future games.

Live with it

It was also pretty clear that after Mr Skuse left the field Reading had unhindered use of the ball from half way line up to our penalty area.

Live with it.
Skuse ? on 12:36 - Feb 7 with 715 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Skuse ? on 12:09 - Feb 7 by No9

Where were you seated?

That's just a blatant lie.

The first 20, and then the next 70, were far better than some of the stuff at PR this season

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Skuse ? on 13:12 - Feb 7 with 689 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 12:29 - Feb 7 by PJH

It was also pretty clear that after Mr Skuse left the field Reading had unhindered use of the ball from half way line up to our penalty area.

Live with it.

How about we try and play and let them worry about us, rather than sit deep and play tight and hope not to lose. That's about the best Skuse can help with, attempting not to lose.

All this tosh about 'Reading had unhindered use of the ball' as Skuse was off is mental. How about Derby, and all the other games where we've conceded plenty, even with Mr Stopper on the field?
Skuse ? on 13:15 - Feb 7 with 683 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 12:23 - Feb 7 by No9

Live with it

Erm, ok then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024