Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice 09:47 - Jul 7 with 5927 viewsBOjK

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:18 - Jul 7 with 5093 viewshomer_123

Wise apart from the fact 'luck' doesn't exist.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:21 - Jul 7 with 5085 viewsfooters

Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but who/what does this relate to?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:26 - Jul 7 with 5073 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:21 - Jul 7 by footers

Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but who/what does this relate to?

Bru's driving ban? Seems a bit harsh if so.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:26 - Jul 7 with 5073 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:18 - Jul 7 by homer_123

Yes it does

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:29 - Jul 7 with 5068 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:18 - Jul 7 by homer_123

What about fortuna?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:33 - Jul 7 with 5060 viewshomer_123

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:29 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

What about fortuna?

Godess of luck? Luck is merely something that we humans perceive or use to describe something we don't really understand.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:33 - Jul 7 with 5057 viewshomer_123

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:26 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

Yes it does

Nope, it's a human perception we place on events or situations that are just statistically unlikely but not impossible.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:39 - Jul 7 with 5045 viewsfooters

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:26 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

Bru's driving ban? Seems a bit harsh if so.

If it was about Paul Taylor's little troubles I'd completely agree. But Bru is innocent- he doesn't even know who was driving the car!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:43 - Jul 7 with 5033 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:33 - Jul 7 by homer_123

Godess of luck? Luck is merely something that we humans perceive or use to describe something we don't really understand.

No, I meant the trend in existence identified by Machiavelli as the companion of virtu, the chance and circumstance we are subjected to that can defeat all our attempts at self improvement or, seemingly unfairly, give us advantages that come about without any effort on our part.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:10 - Jul 7 with 5001 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:33 - Jul 7 by homer_123

Nope, it's a human perception we place on events or situations that are just statistically unlikely but not impossible.

That's not luck though. Luck is something happening through chance rather than as a direct result of our actions. I know for sure I can't control everything around me.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:16 - Jul 7 with 4990 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:10 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

That's not luck though. Luck is something happening through chance rather than as a direct result of our actions. I know for sure I can't control everything around me.

We went through this yesterday, you have to turn the sex doll on before she can turn you on...

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:48 - Jul 7 with 4944 viewsmanchego

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:10 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

You are describing what homer said; "events or situations that are just statistically unlikely but not impossible"
That's not luck.
It's life.
Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:01 - Jul 7 with 4928 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:48 - Jul 7 by manchego

You are describing what homer said; "events or situations that are just statistically unlikely but not impossible"
That's not luck.
It's life.

Except that life is a broad term, you could even see it as one side of a binary state of animate and inanimate.

Whereas luck, although still quite non-specific (or even more non-specific but you get the picture - it's thematic rather than fully descriptive), narrows things down a bit. We can use the word to explain or describe good fortune or bad fortune. It attaches to events and people to enhance our perception of behaviour or characteristics. And, yes, it is also a term that can be misused to explain away events that a better reasoning ability would discern the cause and effect for.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:05 - Jul 7 with 4915 viewsunbelievablue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:01 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

Except that life is a broad term, you could even see it as one side of a binary state of animate and inanimate.

Whereas luck, although still quite non-specific (or even more non-specific but you get the picture - it's thematic rather than fully descriptive), narrows things down a bit. We can use the word to explain or describe good fortune or bad fortune. It attaches to events and people to enhance our perception of behaviour or characteristics. And, yes, it is also a term that can be misused to explain away events that a better reasoning ability would discern the cause and effect for.

Determinism, baby.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:11 - Jul 7 with 4903 viewsLord_Lucan

Load of old pony if you ask me.

It's like hoping someone is raped so they can truly understand it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:13 - Jul 7 with 4896 viewsunbelievablue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:11 - Jul 7 by Lord_Lucan

Load of old pony if you ask me.

It's like hoping someone is raped so they can truly understand it.

Well it's not is it, that's a ludicrous jump.

Though it does seem a bit twee.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:15 - Jul 7 with 4889 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:05 - Jul 7 by unbelievablue

Determinism, baby.

Yeah, go on, exercise your free will...

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:17 - Jul 7 with 4877 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:39 - Jul 7 by footers

If it was about Paul Taylor's little troubles I'd completely agree. But Bru is innocent- he doesn't even know who was driving the car!

Ah, the 'Sitters defence'. It wasn't me your honour, just someone who knows me.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:31 - Jul 7 with 4844 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 11:48 - Jul 7 by manchego

That's not luck.
It's life.

I was thinking luck is defined by causality (i.e. luck is something we haven't caused) as opposed to likelihood. The two things are independent.

Although my first thought was 'wft has the Simpsons got to do with it?'

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:32 - Jul 7 with 4837 viewsWeWereZombies

As no one has yet enlightened us to where this had come from (I was hoping it was another dig at Trump from the US justice system) I had to type the first six words into Google as it was beginning to bug me. Just a speech to a school:

http://time.com/4845150/chief-justice-john-roberts-commencement-speech-transcrip

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:38 - Jul 7 with 4820 viewshomer_123

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 10:43 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

No, I meant the trend in existence identified by Machiavelli as the companion of virtu, the chance and circumstance we are subjected to that can defeat all our attempts at self improvement or, seemingly unfairly, give us advantages that come about without any effort on our part.

Why is that luck?

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:39 - Jul 7 with 4813 viewsunbelievablue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:15 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

Yeah, go on, exercise your free will...

I can't on TWTD. Phil controls all.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 4798 viewsWeWereZombies

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:38 - Jul 7 by homer_123

Why is that luck?

Well that all comes down to how we use language, I prefer to use the Machiavellian term fortuna to cover the things I cannot control or react to, you do not want to use luck but others will - and it will be sufficient for them to build a functioning (for a while) modus operandi to get by with.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:46 - Jul 7 with 4781 viewsunbelievablue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:44 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

Well that all comes down to how we use language, I prefer to use the Machiavellian term fortuna to cover the things I cannot control or react to, you do not want to use luck but others will - and it will be sufficient for them to build a functioning (for a while) modus operandi to get by with.

You sound a complete hoot.

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:53 - Jul 7 with 4765 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wise words from the Supreme Court Chief Justice on 12:39 - Jul 7 by unbelievablue

I can't on TWTD. Phil controls all.

They're not as good at this policing lark as they let us think...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024