Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Style of play' 17:15 - Jul 30 with 9488 viewsJohnny_Boy

I can't see MM changing his pragmatic ways for this impending season. IMHO.

I anyone disagrees with me, feel free to discuss why you think otherwise.
'Style of play' on 21:05 - Jul 30 with 2193 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 20:51 - Jul 30 by PJH

But if you are agreeing that its only the result that matters why does it matter how it is achieved?

I do not know how old you are so I do not know how much you saw of SBR's teams but a lot of his early success was built on playing the ball forward to Trevor Whymatk and having hard running midfield players-sorry if I am telling you something that you witnessed yourself.

Cruyff was different because he was part of the Ajax and Dutch National team total football so I do not doubt that he would not be partial to the long ball game.

Spot on of course. Whymark was the target man par excellence. The real difference is precisely as you describe , 3 or players running on for knock downs etc. the great Robson team was entirely different. Funny that the defensive midfielder scored so many goals. Our current defensive midfielder scores a few less.
'Style of play' on 21:09 - Jul 30 with 2191 viewsCoco

'Style of play' on 21:00 - Jul 30 by Johnny_Boy

I think we're all agreed to suggest that the best players cost the most money.
The more you spend, you'd naturally think the squad will improve.
Yes, there are notable exceptions, but as a whole - you want goals, you spend 50m+ on a striker.

If you don't have that kind of elite money, you need to nurture that improvement organically. I don't think that is happening.

But where was that striker before he cost £50m?

Thats where we sit.

We are that club who picks up young players and develops them. Huws is exactly the player we should be signing (but before Cardiff) as is Ward. Just don't believe Mick is the man to get the best from them.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

'Style of play' on 21:25 - Jul 30 with 2171 viewsPJH

'Style of play' on 21:05 - Jul 30 by blueislander

Spot on of course. Whymark was the target man par excellence. The real difference is precisely as you describe , 3 or players running on for knock downs etc. the great Robson team was entirely different. Funny that the defensive midfielder scored so many goals. Our current defensive midfielder scores a few less.

Trevor Whymark was hugely underrated even by some ITFC fans in my opinion.

Certainly the last team that SBR created at Portman Road did play very differently and can be justifiably claimed to be one of the greatest English club sides of all time.

It is discussing things like this that again make me realise that being an ITFC fan for almost all of my life has not been such a bad thing.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 21:29]
'Style of play' on 21:36 - Jul 30 with 2162 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 21:25 - Jul 30 by PJH

Trevor Whymark was hugely underrated even by some ITFC fans in my opinion.

Certainly the last team that SBR created at Portman Road did play very differently and can be justifiably claimed to be one of the greatest English club sides of all time.

It is discussing things like this that again make me realise that being an ITFC fan for almost all of my life has not been such a bad thing.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 21:29]

If I remember rightly, you are roughly the same vintage as me, and can recall the team that were Division 1 champions. We as football fans are very privileged, I think you will agree. It is very difficult to imagine we will re-live such days. That does not stop me from being a Town fan. It is very much bred into me.
'Style of play' on 21:38 - Jul 30 with 2167 viewsjas0999

No. He will play boring negative football. That's just the way he is. Could lose several more thousand season ticket holders by end if season. Me included.
'Style of play' on 21:51 - Jul 30 with 2145 viewsPJH

'Style of play' on 21:36 - Jul 30 by blueislander

If I remember rightly, you are roughly the same vintage as me, and can recall the team that were Division 1 champions. We as football fans are very privileged, I think you will agree. It is very difficult to imagine we will re-live such days. That does not stop me from being a Town fan. It is very much bred into me.

I think that you are slightly older than me but we once established that we both at the F.A. Cup game at home to Peterborough(then non league) in January 1960-I wonder what TWTD would have made of us losing that one 3-2.

We are indeed privileged to have seen what we have seen from our football club.
I will forever be grateful to my Mum and Dad for introducing me to ITFC at age 3 or 4.
'Style of play' on 22:02 - Jul 30 with 2131 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 21:51 - Jul 30 by PJH

I think that you are slightly older than me but we once established that we both at the F.A. Cup game at home to Peterborough(then non league) in January 1960-I wonder what TWTD would have made of us losing that one 3-2.

We are indeed privileged to have seen what we have seen from our football club.
I will forever be grateful to my Mum and Dad for introducing me to ITFC at age 3 or 4.

My family has all sorts of connections to the club. My mother was a season ticket holder until she was in her 80s. Her last game was the infamous 0-0 draw with Millwall in the last game of the season when we faiked to make the play-offs, and they got relegated. She was very frightened and upset that day.
'Style of play' on 22:03 - Jul 30 with 2130 viewsRyorry

'Style of play' on 20:02 - Jul 30 by PJH

It actually seems weird to me that anyone that supports any football team does not put the result first.
A spectator or neutral would go for style but a supporter, I believe, should put their team winning ahead of anything else.

As you say, each to their own.

A major facet of putting in yer time and hard-earned to watch any competitive sport tho, is excitement. And us fans are the ones who are going to games & findingit so dull that our heartbeats are scarcely raised - there's more danger of us falling asleep than that. If results are all that matter, might as well not bother and simply look for the results at 5pm. With no bums on seats, the club then dies.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

'Style of play' on 22:56 - Jul 30 with 2106 viewsPilgrimblue

'Style of play' on 21:05 - Jul 30 by Coco

No thats a fair point. I think the difference with Robson is that he had the ability to mix it up and played 'clever' football if you like. He knew how to exploit weaknesess and was always thinking long term. Buying promising young players to fit to a system that will improve year on year as he proved here and with Newcastle. Burley followed this.

My problem with Mick is that he is stubbornly one dimensional and when it isnt working its just awful to watch. It's predictable. It annoys that that every year its almost screw it up and start again. Short termism is what has killed us since ME imho.

Correct on all points. It's not all about long ball v passing but as you say being a good manager of the team, its capabilities and how to win.
'Style of play' on 07:49 - Jul 31 with 2067 viewsPJH

'Style of play' on 22:03 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

A major facet of putting in yer time and hard-earned to watch any competitive sport tho, is excitement. And us fans are the ones who are going to games & findingit so dull that our heartbeats are scarcely raised - there's more danger of us falling asleep than that. If results are all that matter, might as well not bother and simply look for the results at 5pm. With no bums on seats, the club then dies.

The first time I met you was at Leeds when we won 1-0 with Tommy Smith scoring.
It was not a particularly exciting game and we did not play especially well but we won.
I could happily accept 30 games like that this coming season.

Maybe see you there again in September or even at Barnsley in August.
'Style of play' on 08:32 - Jul 31 with 2056 viewsHerbivore

'Style of play' on 22:03 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

I don't really get that view personally. When buying a season ticket my purchase isn't based on whether or not every game is likely to be full of exciting football, I support Ipswich and if it's practical for me to attend often enough to make it worthwhile and if I can afford it then I'll get a season ticket. The excitement comes from the whole day out and from watching MY team. If I wanted goals and attacking football I'd be better off going to Carrow Road every week, I can walk there, tickets are cheaper and there's more goals per game than at Portman Road. If going to football was purely a form of entertainment it'd make perfect sense for me to do so, but that's not what being a football fan is about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

'Style of play' on 08:46 - Jul 31 with 2047 viewsitfcjoe

'Style of play' on 17:52 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

And yet we went to the best passing side in the league last season and played very openly. We lost at Fulham but it wasn't because we were 'pragmatic'.

The real issue is that we don't have a clear style of play and haven't consistently since the end of the 14/15 season. There have been odd spells that have worked and then it's slipped.

Main issue is that whenever we lose, regardless of how we play, or try to play, it is seen as us playing a poor style of football to some.

Mick is on to a loser, he may as well just try and get the results as that is the only way that section of the fanbase will stop moaning as they clearly aren't watching the actual games and styles.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

'Style of play' on 08:48 - Jul 31 with 2043 viewsHerbivore

'Style of play' on 08:46 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Main issue is that whenever we lose, regardless of how we play, or try to play, it is seen as us playing a poor style of football to some.

Mick is on to a loser, he may as well just try and get the results as that is the only way that section of the fanbase will stop moaning as they clearly aren't watching the actual games and styles.

Yep, this is spot on. I remember particularly after Fulham away a number of people bemoaning a 'typical' Mick performance when we'd played the ball on the ground and created loads of chances but got done by a better, more clinical outfit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

'Style of play' on 16:03 - Jul 31 with 2006 viewsRyorry

'Style of play' on 07:49 - Jul 31 by PJH

The first time I met you was at Leeds when we won 1-0 with Tommy Smith scoring.
It was not a particularly exciting game and we did not play especially well but we won.
I could happily accept 30 games like that this coming season.

Maybe see you there again in September or even at Barnsley in August.

The first one we went to (2015) I remember as quite entertaining; the seond (last season) I remember being extremely bored - except when talking to you, obvs!

Quite a coincidence to get 3 x September fixtures in a row for Leeds, good from my pov re travelling - yes, aiming to be there, but stuff sometimes gets in way. Not sure about Barnsley, friend coming to stay for a few days around that time and she's not into footie.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2017 16:04]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024