Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City were hardly excellent... 18:08 - Sep 30 with 5659 viewspointofblue

A medicore team who managed the game through unsportmanship behaviour. They did what they had to do and nothing more. But compared to the flair and attacking prowess of Fulham they weren't up to much and, had that deflection not gone in early, it could have been a very different match.

The way the day was going to go was probably summed up before kick off with Adeyemi picking up an injury - in hindsight perhaps Ward should have started instead of Nydam who was far too lightweight for much of the match. McGoldrick picking up a knock just after Celina was subbed as we lost our two creative players in a matter of minutes - not that Celina did much today; he was very poor and hopefully it'll bring him back to Earth with a bump - he has to work for his skill and he didn't today.

We were flat in the second half which was a disappointment. I don't think it helped that Garner was fouled every time he went near the ball and the referee ignored it time and agan; it meant we couldn't build attacks. But we had no plan B and it's been an issue for a while now.

Bristol City fans will be going home rightly wondering what all the fuss is about us. Yet again, it's not the despair that gets you - it's the hope.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:15 - Sep 30 with 5600 viewsbournemouthblue

There was a fair bit of that through the second half, the referee aided and abetted it but they look a solid team with plenty of energy and a plan

How that 3rd goal isn't offside I don't know, the players in the line of Bart's view must be interfering with play

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:17 - Sep 30 with 5573 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:15 - Sep 30 by bournemouthblue

There was a fair bit of that through the second half, the referee aided and abetted it but they look a solid team with plenty of energy and a plan

How that 3rd goal isn't offside I don't know, the players in the line of Bart's view must be interfering with play

I sit in the Sir Bobby so couldn't really judge that. From Phil's report the linesman seemed to think the ball deflected off a Bristol City player so gave it off; the referee told him it was Knudsen and the goal stood.

We weren't at our best today but I thought 3-1 was a harsh scoreline. And Bristol City used to rely more on skill then sportmanship to win before; if their defenders keep playing as they did they'll eventually run into a referee who will give them short shrift.

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:20 - Sep 30 with 5548 viewsbournemouthblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:17 - Sep 30 by pointofblue

I sit in the Sir Bobby so couldn't really judge that. From Phil's report the linesman seemed to think the ball deflected off a Bristol City player so gave it off; the referee told him it was Knudsen and the goal stood.

We weren't at our best today but I thought 3-1 was a harsh scoreline. And Bristol City used to rely more on skill then sportmanship to win before; if their defenders keep playing as they did they'll eventually run into a referee who will give them short shrift.

It definitely came off Knudsen but there are Brizzle players offside and in his eye line

If that isn't interfering with play then I don't know what is

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:21 - Sep 30 with 5529 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:20 - Sep 30 by bournemouthblue

It definitely came off Knudsen but there are Brizzle players offside and in his eye line

If that isn't interfering with play then I don't know what is

I don't think that goal mattered either way to be fair - we didn't look like getting an equaliser for much of the second half.

The offside rule is maddening though; even now there's complete and utter confusion about it. I agree, isn't standing in the goalkeeper's line of vision interfering with play?

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:27 - Sep 30 with 5480 viewsRegencyBlue

Mediocre!

I don't think so, or at least I hope not because if a mediocre team can cut through us as easily as they did at times I wouldn't like to see what a good one could do to us!!

Certainly not in Fulham's league but hardly mediocre.
Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:30 - Sep 30 with 5458 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:27 - Sep 30 by RegencyBlue

Mediocre!

I don't think so, or at least I hope not because if a mediocre team can cut through us as easily as they did at times I wouldn't like to see what a good one could do to us!!

Certainly not in Fulham's league but hardly mediocre.

Even Bolton managed to cut through us. Any side is going to be able to cut through us; we're defensively inept this year. This is going to be like the Royle days where we're more likely to win 3-2 than 2-0 but it does mean we have to nail our attacking play.

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:57 - Sep 30 with 5271 viewsbournemouthblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:21 - Sep 30 by pointofblue

I don't think that goal mattered either way to be fair - we didn't look like getting an equaliser for much of the second half.

The offside rule is maddening though; even now there's complete and utter confusion about it. I agree, isn't standing in the goalkeeper's line of vision interfering with play?

You do wonder if that was part of the lino's original thought

You can bet your bottom dollar that would be reviewed and overturned with a review system

But as people say, Brizzle look a good side and certainly deserved the win

Town need to tighten up at the back if they have aims of the top six

We could also do with another physical option upfront. We didn't have an outlet once McGoldrick went off. It will be interesting to see how Keiffer Moore has been performing come January.

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 19:00 - Sep 30 with 5255 viewsbournemouthblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 18:21 - Sep 30 by pointofblue

For us that's a fortune

Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 19:04 - Sep 30 with 5234 viewsBenters

You dont get anywhere in football being nice.

End of.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 20:31 - Sep 30 with 4580 viewsjas0999

I thought they thoroughly deserved the win to be fair. I do agree though, they are not all that. But unless we are playing a bottom eight side (Millwall aside), then we do struggle. 12-14th remains the likely finish for me.
Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:27 - Sep 30 with 4378 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 20:31 - Sep 30 by jas0999

I thought they thoroughly deserved the win to be fair. I do agree though, they are not all that. But unless we are playing a bottom eight side (Millwall aside), then we do struggle. 12-14th remains the likely finish for me.

Yes, I agree. We're a step above where we were last year and we might be able to keep a degree of respectability to our season because of that by beating the struggling sides... but we're not consistent enough or defensively resolute enough to do much else. At the moment anyway; the loss of Adeyemi hit us hard before kick off.

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:40 - Sep 30 with 4322 viewsbournemouthblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:27 - Sep 30 by pointofblue

Yes, I agree. We're a step above where we were last year and we might be able to keep a degree of respectability to our season because of that by beating the struggling sides... but we're not consistent enough or defensively resolute enough to do much else. At the moment anyway; the loss of Adeyemi hit us hard before kick off.

Webster's return is at least encouraging

We still have decent players to return

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:45 - Sep 30 with 4298 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:40 - Sep 30 by bournemouthblue

Webster's return is at least encouraging

We still have decent players to return

The likes of Downes, Huws and Bishop coming back will give us a bit of depth. Nydam did his best today but Downes would have probably suited today better. It'd be nice if Rowe can build once he's back to full fitness too.

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:50 - Sep 30 with 4280 views3_5_2

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 19:04 - Sep 30 by Benters

You dont get anywhere in football being nice.

End of.

Exactly Benters. It seems if a team beats us it always has to be fair and MM will tell you you need to scrap to earn the right to play.

There have been many a post on here about how dirty those nasty guys from Brighton and Bournmouth always were. That would be the Brighton and Bournmouth who now play in the premier league

We lost to a better team on the day today. Even MM said that

Some fans need to man the feck up

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 22:02 - Sep 30 with 4240 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:50 - Sep 30 by 3_5_2

Exactly Benters. It seems if a team beats us it always has to be fair and MM will tell you you need to scrap to earn the right to play.

There have been many a post on here about how dirty those nasty guys from Brighton and Bournmouth always were. That would be the Brighton and Bournmouth who now play in the premier league

Thinking about it I guess I have no issue with Bristol City doing it - more with the referee's uneven hand on dealing with it. If he's going to let player's get away with then fine, but be equal for both sides.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2017 22:03]

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 23:15 - Sep 30 with 4106 views3_5_2

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 22:02 - Sep 30 by pointofblue

Thinking about it I guess I have no issue with Bristol City doing it - more with the referee's uneven hand on dealing with it. If he's going to let player's get away with then fine, but be equal for both sides.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2017 22:03]

A fair point but we are too nice at times.

A good pro knows the dark arts and it happens more than people realise.

Garner gives out plenty off the ball, I have no issue with that but he has to expect onto get it back and I suspect he knows that. It's a mans game after all.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 01:34 - Oct 1 with 3931 viewsFaroutWest

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 21:50 - Sep 30 by 3_5_2

Fair play to this and all the comments but City were deserved winners today IMHO and some comments come across as quite bitter WTGR.
To win consistently, like yourselves, isn't a fluke, you just had a bad day and couldn't handle the pace, most couldn't yet have had nothing good to say about us.

We'll see I guess.
UP THE CITY
Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 01:44 - Oct 1 with 3923 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Two teams here that if you go back say eight months were against their respective team and manager, providing animosity left and right, and are now on something of a rise.

Their team coach (Johnson) was receiving as much vitriol as McCarthy for a time and as with ourselves, were in near unanimous agreement in change of manager, but here we are later in the year and both clubs have improved. From today's evidence, Bristol may be better equipped for a promotion challenge but one game alone doesn't settle anything.
Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 02:27 - Oct 1 with 3891 viewspointofblue

Bristol City were hardly excellent... on 01:34 - Oct 1 by FaroutWest

Fair play to this and all the comments but City were deserved winners today IMHO and some comments come across as quite bitter WTGR.
To win consistently, like yourselves, isn't a fluke, you just had a bad day and couldn't handle the pace, most couldn't yet have had nothing good to say about us.

We'll see I guess.
UP THE CITY

Our wins this season have come against teams who are either struggling badly or were finding their feet in the division. On the plus side that's a massive improvement on last year and, with some squad members coming back from injury maybe we can build on that, but it'd be nice to get a result against one of the top half - to prove we can match and hold our own.

I think City did a job on us - maybe I am being harsh; I don't think you were excellent but you didn't need to be. Why waste more effort than required? And as for unsporting behaviour... one thing quite a few Town fans have wanted is a bit of grit and nastiness is recent years. It's just when the ref sees it all one way but not the other that it grates.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024