Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that went south fast 23:05 - Jan 2 with 6516 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ridiculously stupid from Spence. Whether you think it should have been a red or not (personally think the ref had no option but seen others suggesting it should have been a yellow), by going in like that he was always inviting the ref to send him off - completely unnecessary when 1-0 up and in that area of the pitch

I actually thought at that point we’d got a good foothold in the game and were looking relatively comfortable. First 30 minutes were a struggle, but as Fulham’s press tired a bit in the first half we’d got more into the game culmanating with the goal, and continued that way in the second half

Unfortunately following the card it all rather went to sh*t. Without the benefit of watching the highlights, the first looked a good goal with a bit of luck at the end, the second a huge slice of luck for Fulham and then our heads going completely from there, although pretty irrelevant as it was game over already. Not sure what happened from the 4th as decided to leave and get the half 10 train home

So where from here? Playoffs look out of reach and we won’t go down, so for me a decision on McCarthy’s future needs to be made soon with January business and the rest of the season looking to the future

Like most I think Mick’s time is up - personally I’m not convinced we’ll be any better for a new man coming in without significant investment, but definitely feels as if the whole club needs a change and a lift. Regardless I still think Mick has done a great job overall given the budget constraints, but at he same time completely get the criticism re style - if we’re not going to challenge for promotion and fans aren’t enjoying watching then really you have to question the point

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a ramble!
[Post edited 2 Jan 2018 23:05]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well that went south fast on 11:22 - Jan 3 with 2122 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 11:21 - Jan 3 by blueislander

That is irrelevant. You don't go kicking people up in the air off the ball just because you think a free kick should have been awarded in your favour.

He didn't kick him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well that went south fast on 11:27 - Jan 3 with 2115 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 11:21 - Jan 3 by blueislander

That is irrelevant. You don't go kicking people up in the air off the ball just because you think a free kick should have been awarded in your favour.

But if the below average height person in black had blown his whistle what happened afterwards would not have happened.
I have just seen the Sears incident on TV and unless Freddie Sears has got a shoulder in the middle of his chest the challenge on him was not shoulder to shoulder.

I keep mentioning that Stroud is below average height but he might even be a useless referee if he was normal height.
Well that went south fast on 11:27 - Jan 3 with 2114 viewsblueislander

Well that went south fast on 11:22 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

He didn't kick him.

That is OK then. Are you seriously suggesting that he didn't deserve to be sent off.?
Well that went south fast on 11:28 - Jan 3 with 2112 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 11:16 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

Disagree. He completely cleared Sears out, it was a foul.

Cleared out by running into him with his shoulder, while competing for the ball

Well that went south fast on 11:28 - Jan 3 with 2112 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 11:27 - Jan 3 by blueislander

That is OK then. Are you seriously suggesting that he didn't deserve to be sent off.?

I think he is seriously suggesting that he did not kick anyone up in the air.
Well that went south fast on 11:31 - Jan 3 with 2101 viewsblueislander

Well that went south fast on 11:28 - Jan 3 by PJH

I think he is seriously suggesting that he did not kick anyone up in the air.

I am seriously suggesting that what he did was extremely stupid and unjustifiable.
Well that went south fast on 11:39 - Jan 3 with 2084 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 11:31 - Jan 3 by blueislander

I am seriously suggesting that what he did was extremely stupid and unjustifiable.

Nobody is denying that except with the pointing out that it should not have got to that stage because....

It is impossible to defend Spence's actions but the incompetent referee's non decision led to those actions.
Well that went south fast on 11:40 - Jan 3 with 2083 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 11:28 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It's a foul. Pretty sure if he'd done that to Celina there wouldn't be any debate about it. Him knocking Sears flying isn't legal purely because he led with his shoulder, that wasn't what would be termed a fair and legal shoulder to shoulder challenge.

Login to get fewer ads

Well that went south fast on 11:42 - Jan 3 with 2079 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 11:28 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes he did run into him with his shoulder and if it had been shoulder to shoulder then it was not a foul but as it was not shoulder to shoulder....
Well that went south fast on 11:48 - Jan 3 with 2063 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 11:40 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

It's a foul. Pretty sure if he'd done that to Celina there wouldn't be any debate about it. Him knocking Sears flying isn't legal purely because he led with his shoulder, that wasn't what would be termed a fair and legal shoulder to shoulder challenge.

Why would it be any different had it been on Celina?

Well that went south fast on 11:50 - Jan 3 with 2058 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 11:42 - Jan 3 by PJH

Yes he did run into him with his shoulder and if it had been shoulder to shoulder then it was not a foul but as it was not shoulder to shoulder....

Having just watched the Sky replay 3 times - it looks to me that it was shoulder to shoulder, or at the very most shoulder to upper chest/shoulder area which is only because Sears turned his body in?

As I posted before, some refs would definitely have blown, but for me it isn’t the clear foul that you and others seem to think it was

Well that went south fast on 11:52 - Jan 3 with 2054 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 11:48 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Why would it be any different had it been on Celina?

Because he's the golden boy and Sears isn't, I think that affects some people's perception of the incident. For me that's a foul all day long.

Well that went south fast on 11:56 - Jan 3 with 2043 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 11:52 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

Because he's the golden boy and Sears isn't, I think that affects some people's perception of the incident. For me that's a foul all day long.

Seems to me that most of the posters arguing it wasn’t a clear foul are of the more rational variety, but if that helps persuade yourself that you’re definitely right then go for it

Celina was pretty woeful last night, FWIW

Well that went south fast on 11:59 - Jan 3 with 2035 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 11:56 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Seems to me that most of the posters arguing it wasn’t a clear foul are of the more rational variety, but if that helps persuade yourself that you’re definitely right then go for it

Celina has been very hit and miss for weeks to be fair. Peaked in the Forest game and has flattered to deceive since. Have to agree to disagree regarding the charge into Sears, I've also watched it a number of times and from different angles and it's not looking any less of a foul.

Well that went south fast on 12:05 - Jan 3 with 2019 viewsSteve_M

I still think he played Sears rather than the ball when he didn't really need to. I've seen Berra get away with similar but would expect it given against us. That doesn't excuse Spence who had a complete brain fade.

Celina was poor at Wolves, got into good positions and made bad decisions, very ineffective against Derby and not much better last night. The ten minutes against QPR stood out but are the exception over the last month.

Not too surprising, he's a young player who has played a lot of football this season. Which is why MM has tried to rotate and not overplay him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Well that went south fast on 13:56 - Jan 3 with 1953 viewsreusersfreekicks

Well that went south fast on 10:34 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think the TV angle made the challenge on Sears look worse than it was. From the stand it seemed pretty obvious it was a robust shoulder challenge - one that some refs may give a foul for but certainly nothing more than that

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Whether we can replace Mick with someone better is one thing, but really the question is whether Evans will be able to identify someone better, which I’m very doubtful of

Disagree foul on Sears all day long
Well that went south fast on 14:05 - Jan 3 with 1942 viewsRadlett_blue

I thought Celina did OK. He was forced to do a lot of defending as we sat so deep & didn't do a bad job of it. It wasn't his fault that he hardly got the ball in a decent attacking position. However, subbing him for Iorfa was an obviously sensible decision.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024