Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer holiday in... TURKEY 19:12 - Jan 8 with 9353 viewscaught-in-limbo

Last summer we spent a fantastic holiday in Tamil Nadu / Kerala in India despite it being the tail end of the monsoon.

This year we're seriously considering Turkey.

Here's the wish list:

4 weeks
food
countryside (esp. mountains and cultural ruins)
culture
photography
some time near water (beach or lake - but away from hoards of tourists - essential)
generally happy to holiday on the cheap with a weekly splurge on an activity like a hot air balloon, fantastic meal, jeep trip etc.

Anybody been in August? Any do and don'ts I should know about?
All comments welcome.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 08:30 - Jan 9 with 2463 viewscaught-in-limbo

Thanks to everyone who has replied to date. Please keep the top tips coming.

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 08:37 - Jan 9 with 2460 viewsartsbossbeard

August in Turkey - Kemer/Belek/Antalya area is mind-blowingly hot.

I can't bear the heat between 12 & 2 but that's what air-conditioned bars are for.

Can't help you accommodation-wise but this area of Turkey is really decent.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:15 - Jan 9 with 2434 viewsJosebadleg

My girlfriend and I are looking to go to Fethiye this June, she has been before and really wants to go and see this abandoned village again.
http://turkishtravelblog.com/the-ghost-village-of-kayakoy/
We are looking to go in June as hopefully it won't be as busy and hot as July and August.

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:16 - Jan 9 with 2434 viewschicoazul

It will be hot as fuaaarrrk there in August.

EDIT: also it is always heaving with Russians and Krauts, this may affect your opinion on going there and it may not. The tourist areas you mention will be full of Chinese. Turks are nice friendly people in general but don't talk politics with any of them and I mean, any of them. And as a woman don't go out alone in town in the evenings.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 9:20]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:20 - Jan 9 with 2422 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:15 - Jan 9 by Josebadleg

My girlfriend and I are looking to go to Fethiye this June, she has been before and really wants to go and see this abandoned village again.
We are looking to go in June as hopefully it won't be as busy and hot as July and August.

Do you like hang gliding ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:46 - Jan 9 with 2414 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 08:37 - Jan 9 by artsbossbeard

August in Turkey - Kemer/Belek/Antalya area is mind-blowingly hot.

I can't bear the heat between 12 & 2 but that's what air-conditioned bars are for.

Can't help you accommodation-wise but this area of Turkey is really decent.

OUCH! I thought the coast was meant to be the cooler area!!

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:47 - Jan 9 with 2412 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:15 - Jan 9 by Josebadleg

That place looks really interesting. Noted. Thanks.

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 2403 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:16 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

It will be hot as fuaaarrrk there in August.

EDIT: also it is always heaving with Russians and Krauts, this may affect your opinion on going there and it may not. The tourist areas you mention will be full of Chinese. Turks are nice friendly people in general but don't talk politics with any of them and I mean, any of them. And as a woman don't go out alone in town in the evenings.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 9:20]

Interesting. I generally don't do politics on holiday. But I must admit the idea that a place is full of any group of foreigner whether they happen to be Germans, Russians, Chinese of English is a bit of a turn off.

I imagine there must be nice places where you avoid the crowds who want to sunbathe, or want a beer, or plush accommodation. Those places still exist, right?

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:52 - Jan 9 with 2400 viewsartsbossbeard

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:46 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

OUCH! I thought the coast was meant to be the cooler area!!

My missus still lays out in it but it's way too hot for me.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:53 - Jan 9 with 2398 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:20 - Jan 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do you like hang gliding ?

Things change when you have kids. The excitement of hang-gliding is one of them.

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:53 - Jan 9 with 2397 viewschicoazul

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:51 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

Interesting. I generally don't do politics on holiday. But I must admit the idea that a place is full of any group of foreigner whether they happen to be Germans, Russians, Chinese of English is a bit of a turn off.

I imagine there must be nice places where you avoid the crowds who want to sunbathe, or want a beer, or plush accommodation. Those places still exist, right?

Turkey is a vast country, I am sure there must be loads of spots you can go without running into a single Hun shouting at the waiter. I just don't know of them.

Yeah don't talk politics with any of the locals. You may find you have a wait to get out of the country at passport control, something like 3 years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:55 - Jan 9 with 2390 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:53 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

Turkey is a vast country, I am sure there must be loads of spots you can go without running into a single Hun shouting at the waiter. I just don't know of them.

Yeah don't talk politics with any of the locals. You may find you have a wait to get out of the country at passport control, something like 3 years.

Thanks again.

I read an old Turkey thread on the forum last night. People were saying that security leaving Turkey were taking all laptops and iPads over 7inches off travellers. Do you know if that is still the case?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:56 - Jan 9 with 2384 viewschicoazul

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:55 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

Thanks again.

I read an old Turkey thread on the forum last night. People were saying that security leaving Turkey were taking all laptops and iPads over 7inches off travellers. Do you know if that is still the case?

No idea, sorry.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 09:58 - Jan 9 with 2383 viewsartsbossbeard

Thanks again.

USB power blocks too but I'm not sure if this and the tablet thing is still valid.

Just put them in your suitcase for the return journey and no hassle.

No problem on the way over but there is/was a credible security risk around such devices.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 11:16 - Jan 9 with 2362 viewsm14_blue

Thanks again.

Depends where you're flying from.

Flights from istanbul are no longer effected (don't think Bodrum or Antalya are either but haven't had first hand experience of this).
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 11:27 - Jan 9 with 2352 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thanks again.

Only when in hand luggage.

Also, Side and area has a lot of Roman artefacts...............tourists too though.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 11:29]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 11:44 - Jan 9 with 2340 viewsGeoffSentence

I hear that the North of Spain is quite nice at that time of year.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 18:14 - Jan 9 with 2294 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 11:44 - Jan 9 by GeoffSentence

I hear that the North of Spain is quite nice at that time of year.

It is. But why not come over and see for yourself?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 18:16 - Jan 9 with 2293 viewsjas0999

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:37 - Jan 8 by caught-in-limbo

Not what I wanted to hear but good to know regardless.

Whereabouts in Turkey did you go?

We were further along the coast in Antalya.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024