Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. 17:34 - Jan 22 with 6938 viewsTheBlueBarca

Tommy Smith leaving has really made it sunk in for me, it looks like Mick McCarthy will be off in the summer along with the likes of Skuse, Bart, Hyam, Didz and co. most likely- we've already seen Berra and Murphy depart so a fair chunk of Mick's stalwarts have either left or are likely to go.

For all their failings these guys and Mick have been our most successful collective since Jim left nearly ten years ago and our most competitive since Joe Royle's side.

Will the new manager and his team doing any better than Mick with his "faves", the likes of Gerks, Bart, Smith, Berra, Knudsen, Ando, Skusey, Sears, Didz, Murphy, Tabb, Hyam and Bishop? Who know's. I just hope we don't look back and wonder if not backing Mick financially was Evan's biggest mistake.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:37 - Jan 23 with 973 viewsSuperfrans

I do remember thinking we’d lost the club before Mick joined though.

There was a point when Carlos Edwards had most matches for us and by quite a margin, when he was on around 100/120 games.

Tommy hadn’t played as many games at that stage and Chambers hadn’t joined. Right now we have Knudsen, McGoldrick, Hyam, Bart on more than 100, Skuse almost 200, Chambers on 260 odd, the squad is much more “ours” than it was back then.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:43 - Jan 23 with 963 viewsolimar

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:37 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

I do remember thinking we’d lost the club before Mick joined though.

There was a point when Carlos Edwards had most matches for us and by quite a margin, when he was on around 100/120 games.

Tommy hadn’t played as many games at that stage and Chambers hadn’t joined. Right now we have Knudsen, McGoldrick, Hyam, Bart on more than 100, Skuse almost 200, Chambers on 260 odd, the squad is much more “ours” than it was back then.

Its nothing against Carlos Edwards, great guy and put in some really decent performances as a rightback and a captain, but I did feel a bit that his popularity showed how our standards had lowered a bit. Compare his impact and popularity with that of any of the players you mention (you can take Hyam out of the list!), plus of course Murphy too, and it completely pales.
Our standard have certainly raised again under Mick (but dropping again sadly).
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 21:11 - Jan 23 with 940 viewsPlums

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:12 - Jan 23 by Mullet

Given the amount of players he's improved over the years, you're going to have to walk me through that. Let alone the progress in terms of overall league position, squad unity in spite of the adversity etc. All whilst changing the tactics e.g 442 to 4231 this season

Waghorn for example has been constrained let alone previous key players?

I was referring to the team being constrained rather than individuals. My own experience is we are set up to contain opponents, particularly those we fear and to try and nick a goal. It works sometimes and not others but it isn’t pretty - our gates show this. We also bring 10 men back for defensive corners which is ultra-conservative and more often than not means the ball comes straight back.
Our ability to keep the ball and at times even just find a team mate with a pass is well below par and either reflects a lack of practice, confidence or movement all of which are rectifiable. I don’t expect us to be Barcelona or Man City but a few passes every now and again and a recognisable pattern of play would help.

Topically, he certainly didn’t improve Tommy Smith. The bloke was consistently played on his weaker side and without a supporting full back to pass to, he had to resort to playing long balls with his right foot to variable effect.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 21:14]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 21:45 - Jan 23 with 923 viewsunbelievablue

Bloody rubbish era.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024