Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ 20:20 - Feb 5 with 5891 viewsElderGrizzly

Lost 6% today, down 1,500 points

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/feb/05/stock-markets-slide-global
Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 07:50 - Feb 6 with 1134 viewsBloomBlue

Great news. I bet heavily on a crash in Feb...win win win ££££££££££££
Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 07:51 - Feb 6 with 1133 viewschicoazul

Sell in May and Go Away came early this year. Can't blame people for taking profit out of a government-backed grossly inflated market.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 07:52 - Feb 6 with 1129 viewsclive_baker

FTSE due to open -230 points ish too

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 08:09 - Feb 6 with 1102 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Apparently wages have gone up too fast ! And something to do with 'the machines' getting carried away.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 09:09 - Feb 6 with 1065 viewslowhouseblue

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 08:09 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

Apparently wages have gone up too fast ! And something to do with 'the machines' getting carried away.

monetary tightening may be coming quicker than the market had assumed, uncertainty has risen, there is more volatility, and people are remembering that equities are a risky asset. we're inching back to normality.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 09:19 - Feb 6 with 1050 viewsStokieBlue

Stock Market in US ‘crashing’ on 09:09 - Feb 6 by lowhouseblue

monetary tightening may be coming quicker than the market had assumed, uncertainty has risen, there is more volatility, and people are remembering that equities are a risky asset. we're inching back to normality.

There is some mean reversion going on as you have said which always happens eventually and can be self-perpetuating. It seems the main driver for the sell-off in the US yesterday is the expected increase in interest rates due to the fact the US economy is actually doing pretty well at the moment and unemployment was down. Monetary tightening in the US started back in October.

If interest rates rise people often move money into safer assets which pay a guaranteed income, as you rightly point out, equities are a risky asset and volatility is rising.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024