Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch 09:09 - Feb 6 with 17685 viewsStokieBlue

This evening at 6:30pm GMT SpaceX are going to attempt to launch their new Falcon 9 Heavy. It can carry more than twice as much as the next largest rocket current in use to LEO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42950957

As Musk has said:

Falcon Heavy will be a 'great rocket launch or the best fireworks display'

The most impressive thing is that they are going to try and land all 3 boosters independently so they can be reused. Once it works each launch will be about 90m USDcompared with 1bn USD for NASA's equivalent rocket which won't be ready for at least 2 years.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:43 - Feb 6 with 2535 viewsSarge

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:33 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

I see.

That's why he's not drawing a salary from SpaceX and all pay is performance related in ten years time. If he wanted money he would publicly float SpaceX and take the cash.

He wants humanity to be a multiplanetary species, if he achieves that and makes some money then good for him.

What will you be doing to advance mankind?

SB

Making the passports blue again
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:47 - Feb 6 with 2518 viewsJ2BLUE

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:43 - Feb 6 by BloomBlue

He's American his passion is money and power.

There are so many people in the world getting rich who have no talent whatsoever. Reality tv 'stars' and reasonably attractive women showing plenty of flesh etc. I couldn't care less what his motivation is if he's going to develop real advances in technology like this. I want to see amazing things. I want to have the Mars version of the moon landings.

Good luck to him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:49 - Feb 6 with 2511 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:43 - Feb 6 by BloomBlue

He's American his passion is money and power.

He's not American.

That's also a fairly dubious generalisation wouldn't you say?

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:49 - Feb 6 with 2510 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:39 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

We have different mindsets on many things and that's absolutely fine.

On this point though I think you are totally wrong. I find it position genuinely astonishing.

The population will require resources and they need to come from somewhere. Off planet is the best and cleanest source. You are sitting there typing on a device made with many rare minerals, connecting to other devices using rare minerals ad infinitum.

This resources are required, surely getting them from Asteroids is he most sensible solution. You are essentially advocating stagnation and eventually that will lead to extinction.

I don't understand your last paragraph on stored sun energy, can you elaborate.

SB

We are a million miles apart on this Stokie. I would give up tapping on this device in an instant if it helped make a different future more likely. More of the same going forward should not even be an option imho. A consumerist future is no future at all.

Oil/coal/wood (carbon) is essentially billions of years of stored sun energy.
Bon nuit!

Edit.....go watch a starling murmuration (seriously)
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 22:50]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:51 - Feb 6 with 2503 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:41 - Feb 6 by Sarge

Surely mining an asteroid is a new way of thinking?

It surely isn't !

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 07:09 - Feb 7 with 2410 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:49 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

We are a million miles apart on this Stokie. I would give up tapping on this device in an instant if it helped make a different future more likely. More of the same going forward should not even be an option imho. A consumerist future is no future at all.

Oil/coal/wood (carbon) is essentially billions of years of stored sun energy.
Bon nuit!

Edit.....go watch a starling murmuration (seriously)
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 22:50]

You've not said what future you do want, only the one you don't.

Why don't you expand on it so it can see it?

The "same" has made human life far better than it's ever been before. If you'd lined 100 years ago you'd be lucky to have made 60 living in total squalor. Note you'll hopefully live to 80 in comparative luxury. Go back further and things get even worse.

So let's flesh out this better future you think we should be aiming for.

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 07:12 - Feb 7 with 2408 viewsGlasgowBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:14 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just the 25 posts so far today then Glassers !

Did you reply to the same post twice because you didn’t think your first reply was very good?

If so, I await reply no3.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 7:13]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 07:14 - Feb 7 with 2403 viewsGlasgowBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:49 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

He's not American.

That's also a fairly dubious generalisation wouldn't you say?

SB

Is BloomBlue Pazelle or am I way off the mark?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 07:23 - Feb 7 with 2397 viewsStokieBlue

So confirmed that the core booster didn't land. It ran out of propellant to slow down enough and crashed into the sea.

Still overall a hugely successful test and the side booster landings were incredibly successful.

Only 4 years to wait for the BFR if they stay on schedule. At nearly 3 times the size should be a sight to see that landing.

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 08:19 - Feb 7 with 2376 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 07:09 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

You've not said what future you do want, only the one you don't.

Why don't you expand on it so it can see it?

The "same" has made human life far better than it's ever been before. If you'd lined 100 years ago you'd be lucky to have made 60 living in total squalor. Note you'll hopefully live to 80 in comparative luxury. Go back further and things get even worse.

So let's flesh out this better future you think we should be aiming for.

SB

Ok so top of the bat before work....
...Syndicates based on a broad concept of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioregionalism
...how to get there is the real problem with an over populated planet largely as a result of our out of balance consumer driven current model.
... http://www.ruthlesscriticism.com/overpopulation.htm

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 08:24 - Feb 7 with 2375 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 08:19 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

...Syndicates based on a broad concept of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioregionalism
...how to get there is the real problem with an over populated planet largely as a result of our out of balance consumer driven current model.

That's a classification system, not a way to effectively run a society or species. It doesn't have any specifics on how anything would actually work. It's all a bit fluffy and seems like you essentially want to regress 500 years.

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 8:37]

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 09:04 - Feb 7 with 2361 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 08:24 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

That's a classification system, not a way to effectively run a society or species. It doesn't have any specifics on how anything would actually work. It's all a bit fluffy and seems like you essentially want to regress 500 years.

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 8:37]

It seemed appropriate in the context of whether to live on this planet or other ones/asteroids!
Rule 1 in my utopia will be to make about 99/100 of the stuff we currently do.
Rule 2 this stuff will be designed to keep working
....I will continue to develop my manifesto in the woods.....
....Meanwhile you can work on your essay about what it is you find so appealing about the current model that makes you want it to carry on ad infinitum !
....to be continued, laterz SB .

Ps if Glassers us reading "take a day off !"

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 09:05 - Feb 7 with 2361 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 08:19 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

To expand on my points a bit more:

Lets assume that humans are the only species in the universe capable of understanding their environment down to the atomic level (I don't believe this is the case but let's make the assumption for now). No other species can manipulate their resources to overcome fundamental forces of nature, in this case gravity. Given this don't we have a responsibility to continually increase our knowledge and to explore and appreciate the universe because no other species can? Furthermore, in this scenario don't we have a responsibility to ensure our survival by becoming multiplanetary? Surely an intelligent being is one of the most wonderous things in the universe and thus should be preserved and that can only be facilitated by technological progress in area's like yesterday's launch.

You would seem to not want progress and rather a more simplistic society which could eventually lead to the extinction of an intelligent (in this scenario, the only intelligent) species. All it would take is one disease or asteroid. Is this right or haven't you been clear?

On a more abstract point, it's entirely possible that to become multiplanetary you need to trash your own planet in the process. Each incremental stage of development brings unknown future consequences (take the industrial revolution for instance), each step towards the stars requires more resources. It might well be that species trash their own planet getting there but once they are multiplanetary they are advanced enough to not make he same mistakes and treat other planets in the universe with more respect and understanding. Hopefully they would go back and then fix their homeworld. All of that is of course subjecture and it doesn't mean we shouldn't protect our environment now we understand more, just that the current state of Earth might not be that unusual in species development terms.

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss.

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 12:38 - Feb 7 with 2305 viewsStokieBlue

This is a brilliant video:

It's done by a member of the public watching the launch and landing. Gives a much better idea of the speed they were landing at and you even get to hear the two sonic booms at the end.

Just for those who like to think it's all faked :).

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 18:57 - Feb 7 with 2245 viewsBloomBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 12:38 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

This is a brilliant video:

It's done by a member of the public watching the launch and landing. Gives a much better idea of the speed they were landing at and you even get to hear the two sonic booms at the end.

Just for those who like to think it's all faked :).

SB

That sonic boom sounded like a car backfiring and the other person whispering something about a washing up liquid bottle and sticky back plastic what was that all about?
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 23:02 - Feb 7 with 2209 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 22:39 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

We have different mindsets on many things and that's absolutely fine.

On this point though I think you are totally wrong. I find it position genuinely astonishing.

The population will require resources and they need to come from somewhere. Off planet is the best and cleanest source. You are sitting there typing on a device made with many rare minerals, connecting to other devices using rare minerals ad infinitum.

This resources are required, surely getting them from Asteroids is he most sensible solution. You are essentially advocating stagnation and eventually that will lead to extinction.

I don't understand your last paragraph on stored sun energy, can you elaborate.

SB

Seems you may have been on to something with the asteroids......
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/elon-musk-space-car-overshoot-ma

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024