Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50600 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:06 - Feb 15 with 4005 viewsFreddies_Ears

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

If you're deliberately trying to be hard work it's working. Kudos.

You do realise that the handful of clubs I have listed who have been relegated in the past decade or so and have seen protests are joined by probably twice as many that have been relegated and where there have not been protests.

So by your own pathetic logic are we are actually twice as likely to get relegated if we don't protest? Do you think the league ignores points and relegates three clubs whose fans have whinged the most?

Hull fans protested over the name change. The owners dropped it. Cardiff fans protested over the red kit and badge. It was changed. Everton and Leeds fans kicked off about the new badge. They were changed.

There are plenty of examples where fans wouldn't stand for the decisions made by the club and the club had to change their thinking.

But just what are you protesting about or proposing someone else protests about? "We've got an owner who has only put in £100m of his own money and only carries on putting in over £5m a year" ? That sounds a bit pathetic, really, doesn't it?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:12 - Feb 15 with 4001 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:06 - Feb 15 by Freddies_Ears

But just what are you protesting about or proposing someone else protests about? "We've got an owner who has only put in £100m of his own money and only carries on putting in over £5m a year" ? That sounds a bit pathetic, really, doesn't it?

Good luck mate. I've been trying to get a straight answer on that one for ages. If people wanted some sort of protest to bring about change of manager then fair enough, I can get that, but if it's about trying to change the overall approach of the owner then I just don't see how that will look or how they expect it'll do anything. We're not a basket case of a club sacking the manager every 5 minutes and the owner making footballing decisions that he's not qualified to make. Are we protesting to have less stability?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 04:39 - Feb 16 with 3936 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:12 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

Good luck mate. I've been trying to get a straight answer on that one for ages. If people wanted some sort of protest to bring about change of manager then fair enough, I can get that, but if it's about trying to change the overall approach of the owner then I just don't see how that will look or how they expect it'll do anything. We're not a basket case of a club sacking the manager every 5 minutes and the owner making footballing decisions that he's not qualified to make. Are we protesting to have less stability?

Stability mid table boredom,no cup runs,no chance of the playoffs,nice and safe though..

As our great 'Crayon muncher ' said (cheers for that laugh texty) 'we are 12th we have the points'.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:10 - Feb 16 with 3907 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 04:39 - Feb 16 by Benters2

Stability mid table boredom,no cup runs,no chance of the playoffs,nice and safe though..

As our great 'Crayon muncher ' said (cheers for that laugh texty) 'we are 12th we have the points'.

So we're protesting that we're a bit bored? What a bunch of snowflakes!

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:30 - Feb 16 with 3873 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:10 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

It's not just about being bored though is it.

It's about the fact that we have a near invisible owner, the messages we get from him come through a mouthpiece who even seems to disagree with what he is being told to say, a manager driving fans away and slagging off the others, the matchday experience is awful, the stadium looks dated, the links with the community have gone downhill, fans are leaving in their thousands and the level of investment the owner puts in is done so to keep us in the division. Each year we get closer to the bottom clubs in terms of budget and one season it's going to catch up with us.

The club, under Evans has been a disaster. We've given him 10 years in which we've had one enjoyable season (which was effectively an excellent half season), seen our best players frequently sold with budget replacements, the football has been absolutely woeful for the large part under Jewell, Keane and Magilton, we've been in numerous relegation scrapes.

How much longer would you propose giving the bloke? Any protest would be about how disastrous his ownership has been. His only saving grace has been we haven't been relegated, largely down to a tedious let's not lose mentality, which has kept a largely League One squad in the division.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:38 - Feb 16 with 3867 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:30 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

It's about the fact that we have a near invisible owner, the messages we get from him come through a mouthpiece who even seems to disagree with what he is being told to say, a manager driving fans away and slagging off the others, the matchday experience is awful, the stadium looks dated, the links with the community have gone downhill, fans are leaving in their thousands and the level of investment the owner puts in is done so to keep us in the division. Each year we get closer to the bottom clubs in terms of budget and one season it's going to catch up with us.

The club, under Evans has been a disaster. We've given him 10 years in which we've had one enjoyable season (which was effectively an excellent half season), seen our best players frequently sold with budget replacements, the football has been absolutely woeful for the large part under Jewell, Keane and Magilton, we've been in numerous relegation scrapes.

How much longer would you propose giving the bloke? Any protest would be about how disastrous his ownership has been. His only saving grace has been we haven't been relegated, largely down to a tedious let's not lose mentality, which has kept a largely League One squad in the division.

Snowflake.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:40 - Feb 16 with 3854 viewsnshearman1

Spot on. I'd just add to that: more division between fans than ever before!!
At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:42 - Feb 16 with 3864 viewsPJH

A Manager than can keep a largely League One squad in the division sounds good, what's his name?
Sounds just like the man we need here because if he could add a bit of quality and keep them free from injury there is no telling where he could take us.
Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:50 - Feb 16 with 3855 viewsartsbossbeard

The club, under Evans has been a disaster. We've given him 10 years in which we've had one enjoyable season (which was effectively an excellent half season.

We've given him 10 years?? He's put in circa £60M in this time whilst I've put in circa £5.3k.

Crivens.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:00 - Feb 16 with 3844 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:50 - Feb 16 by artsbossbeard

The club, under Evans has been a disaster. We've given him 10 years in which we've had one enjoyable season (which was effectively an excellent half season.

We've given him 10 years?? He's put in circa £60M in this time whilst I've put in circa £5.3k.

Crivens.

The use of the word disaster is rather melodramatic too. Blackpool and Coventry are disasters, Hull look on their way there potentially. We're just a bit meh. When did being an average second tier side become something so unbearable as to require an actual protest?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:04 - Feb 16 with 3835 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:50 - Feb 16 by artsbossbeard

Crivens.

He's the owner. Of course he's put money in.

If I go and stay in a hotel that is disgusting is it okay for the owner to claim 'but I've already spent £2m on this place. I shouldn't have to spend more money mould treating'.

He bought a football club. He's putting money in every year because HE got it wrong. He thought he could buy promotion, appointed a disaster of a manager and now he's funding us not because he loves the fans or the clubs, but because he ballsed it up.

He came into it expecting to put money in. He's put more into it because of his own errors.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:08 - Feb 16 with 3831 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:04 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

If I go and stay in a hotel that is disgusting is it okay for the owner to claim 'but I've already spent £2m on this place. I shouldn't have to spend more money mould treating'.

He bought a football club. He's putting money in every year because HE got it wrong. He thought he could buy promotion, appointed a disaster of a manager and now he's funding us not because he loves the fans or the clubs, but because he ballsed it up.

He came into it expecting to put money in. He's put more into it because of his own errors.

You come across as incredibly entitled.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:10 - Feb 16 with 3831 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:00 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

The use of the word disaster is rather melodramatic too. Blackpool and Coventry are disasters, Hull look on their way there potentially. We're just a bit meh. When did being an average second tier side become something so unbearable as to require an actual protest?

Exactly!

ME would gladly sell up, I'm certain. All we need is that filthy rich overseas investor and we're well away! Anyone got contact details for Bill Gates?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:14 - Feb 16 with 3826 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:04 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

But I don't get how "We've" given him 10 years?

Please enlighten us.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:22 - Feb 16 with 3815 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:10 - Feb 16 by artsbossbeard

Exactly!

ME would gladly sell up, I'm certain. All we need is that filthy rich overseas investor and we're well away! Anyone got contact details for Bill Gates?

I think what entitled snowflakes like the OP don't realise is that Evans could be far, far worse. He's stuck tens of millions in and continues to put in £6m a year, he doesn't have to do that, he's not a charity. He could very easily refuse to subsidise us and close the academy (saving £2m a year) and insist on getting rid of our big earners to bring us down to break even point. There's no compulsion for an owner to have to subsidise the club they are running by several million a year.

That's not to say Evans has done a good job, he's appointed and then backed the wrong managers and then lost his nerve when he's actually had a capable manager but given the money he's already put in it's hard to get too angry about him tightening the purse strings. We're not a disaster of a club by any stretch, it's all just a bit flat and boring currently. Hopefully a new manager will lift things a bit.

By all means if people don't want to go anymore that's fair enough but banging on as though they're on a crusade (they aren't) and making out that the problem is people who still attend (we aren't) is some of the most pitiful tripe I've encountered in a long time. It's also noteworthy that the OP has spent a lot of time writing very long posts on this thread but still doesn't seem to have organised an actual protest. Smacks of being a keyboard warrior that.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2018 10:23]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:10 - Feb 16 with 3787 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:22 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

I think what entitled snowflakes like the OP don't realise is that Evans could be far, far worse. He's stuck tens of millions in and continues to put in £6m a year, he doesn't have to do that, he's not a charity. He could very easily refuse to subsidise us and close the academy (saving £2m a year) and insist on getting rid of our big earners to bring us down to break even point. There's no compulsion for an owner to have to subsidise the club they are running by several million a year.

That's not to say Evans has done a good job, he's appointed and then backed the wrong managers and then lost his nerve when he's actually had a capable manager but given the money he's already put in it's hard to get too angry about him tightening the purse strings. We're not a disaster of a club by any stretch, it's all just a bit flat and boring currently. Hopefully a new manager will lift things a bit.

By all means if people don't want to go anymore that's fair enough but banging on as though they're on a crusade (they aren't) and making out that the problem is people who still attend (we aren't) is some of the most pitiful tripe I've encountered in a long time. It's also noteworthy that the OP has spent a lot of time writing very long posts on this thread but still doesn't seem to have organised an actual protest. Smacks of being a keyboard warrior that.

I'm sorry but I find your attitude utterly pathetic.

A gulf between the club and the fans like we've never known
A manager with contempt for the fans
Mid table mediocrity
Appalling football
An owner that puts prices up after our worst finish in 60 years
Price rises for 60-65, some of the most loyal fans

But it's okay because he COULD be worse

What high standards you have.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:36 - Feb 16 with 3772 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:10 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

I'm sorry but I find your attitude utterly pathetic.

A gulf between the club and the fans like we've never known
A manager with contempt for the fans
Mid table mediocrity
Appalling football
An owner that puts prices up after our worst finish in 60 years
Price rises for 60-65, some of the most loyal fans

But it's okay because he COULD be worse

What high standards you have.

Oddly enough I find your entitled and hyperbolic attitude to be incredibly pathetic. You're determined for things to be worse than they actually are, which is odd, whilst seemingly feeling that you as a fan are entitled to challenging for promotion year on year whilst playing great football. No fan is entitled to that, we have no more claim than anyone else to be challenging in the top half of this league.

For balance against your relentless negativity we have: an academy that's producing quality players, some good youngsters brought in from other clubs, a model that gives managers a proper chance, an owner who doesn't meddle in the playing side of things, and we have stability as a club.

How's the protest coming along though? What have you got planned?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:27 - Feb 16 with 3745 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:36 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

Oddly enough I find your entitled and hyperbolic attitude to be incredibly pathetic. You're determined for things to be worse than they actually are, which is odd, whilst seemingly feeling that you as a fan are entitled to challenging for promotion year on year whilst playing great football. No fan is entitled to that, we have no more claim than anyone else to be challenging in the top half of this league.

For balance against your relentless negativity we have: an academy that's producing quality players, some good youngsters brought in from other clubs, a model that gives managers a proper chance, an owner who doesn't meddle in the playing side of things, and we have stability as a club.

How's the protest coming along though? What have you got planned?

Are you still banging this drum and still not addressing the real probem?

The game of football was originated to win
to win you score more goals than the other side
to score more goals than the other side you need to adopt tactis that will succeed.
ITFC have team management that does not approcah the game to win MM has long been known and despised for what is now called 'parking the bus'.
It isn't proper football e.g the way the game was inveted for & it isn't worth watching.

I accept your right, although I don't agree with it, to watch & approve of poor quality stuff.
You should accept my right to want better for the club I have supported since the 50's.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:17 - Feb 16 with 3704 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:10 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

It might be nice to have something to look forward to though? Maybe?

Or is that to much of a 'moon on the stick for you'?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:32 - Feb 16 with 3683 viewsFreddies_Ears

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:22 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

That, Herbivore, deserves a proper "well said" , rather than just an uptick!!
At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:26 - Feb 16 with 3649 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:17 - Feb 16 by Benters2

It might be nice to have something to look forward to though? Maybe?

Or is that to much of a 'moon on the stick for you'?

We do have stuff to look forward to though. We've got the likes of Downes, Nydam and Dozzell looking to push on, players like Morris and Woolfenden not too far away. We've got some good players to come back from injury in pre season to help us kick on. We'll very likely have a new manager next season. All is not lost, there are positives as well as negatives and overall it's just a bit dull at the moment but supporting a football club isn't about only choosing to support them when everything's going great (in my opinion of course).

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:40 - Feb 16 with 3633 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:26 - Feb 16 by Herbivore

We do have stuff to look forward to though. We've got the likes of Downes, Nydam and Dozzell looking to push on, players like Morris and Woolfenden not too far away. We've got some good players to come back from injury in pre season to help us kick on. We'll very likely have a new manager next season. All is not lost, there are positives as well as negatives and overall it's just a bit dull at the moment but supporting a football club isn't about only choosing to support them when everything's going great (in my opinion of course).

I remember looking forward to Marriott and McDonnell and Benyu as well. How'd that all work out?

You're pinning your hopes on 'probably' having a new manager next season. Mick's even said there's a good chance he'll stay.

As for players coming back from injury, they are injured. What's to say they will come back and if they do, be at any sort of decent level?

Your three positives are things that might just happen. Nothing that definitely will happen or is currently happening. Sums it all up.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:45 - Feb 16 with 3625 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:40 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

I remember looking forward to Marriott and McDonnell and Benyu as well. How'd that all work out?

You're pinning your hopes on 'probably' having a new manager next season. Mick's even said there's a good chance he'll stay.

As for players coming back from injury, they are injured. What's to say they will come back and if they do, be at any sort of decent level?

Your three positives are things that might just happen. Nothing that definitely will happen or is currently happening. Sums it all up.

I am surprised that nobody has suggested a protest of some sort.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:47 - Feb 16 with 3620 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:45 - Feb 16 by PJH

I am surprised that nobody has suggested a protest of some sort.

Thanks for your comment. Adds a great deal of value.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:47 - Feb 16 with 3620 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:40 - Feb 16 by FinidiCentenary

Blub. That's all you deserve as a response at this point. Blub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024