Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An interview that changes nothing 19:58 - Apr 25 with 3908 viewsTrequartista

The budget isn't changing, we're going for promotion, and yet we're told McCarthy was overachieving.

These things can't all be true, either Evans is in cloud cuckoo land or McCarthy has performed poorly in the last 2 seasons.

This interview changes nothing.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 19:58]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

An interview that changes nothing on 20:05 - Apr 25 with 3854 viewsDarth_Koont

Bit more nuanced than that surely?

Whether you call it stability off the pitch or stagnation on it, we've now got a solid foundation to build from. That may well require a different manager but not sure Evans or most sensible people underestimate what Mick has overseen on that score.

But you're right that this interview changes nothing in real terms. It has changed a few people's perceptions about the plan, getting many to accept and like it. Which can only be a positive thing as the plan is here to stay.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 20:08]

Pronouns: He/Him

An interview that changes nothing on 20:06 - Apr 25 with 3846 viewsblueconscience

I agree,

The way people are praising and talking about him on here, I was expecting something exciting or progressive, not just him saying what we already knew.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

An interview that changes nothing on 20:24 - Apr 25 with 3794 viewsTrequartista

An interview that changes nothing on 20:05 - Apr 25 by Darth_Koont

Bit more nuanced than that surely?

Whether you call it stability off the pitch or stagnation on it, we've now got a solid foundation to build from. That may well require a different manager but not sure Evans or most sensible people underestimate what Mick has overseen on that score.

But you're right that this interview changes nothing in real terms. It has changed a few people's perceptions about the plan, getting many to accept and like it. Which can only be a positive thing as the plan is here to stay.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 20:08]

Don't get me wrong it is the correct decision to do an interview, but there is no significant change in the plan - i can't believe so many people are happy with it.

An interview that changes nothing on 20:27 - Apr 25 with 3766 viewsDarth_Koont

An interview that changes nothing on 20:24 - Apr 25 by Trequartista

Don't get me wrong it is the correct decision to do an interview, but there is no significant change in the plan - i can't believe so many people are happy with it.

I don't think people believed the plan before, now they do. Having someone say it does make a difference - it shouldn't but it does.

But having said that, now he's spoken I hope people can accept his written communication at face value now they can put a face, voice and personality to it.

An interview that changes nothing on 20:27 - Apr 25 with 3764 viewsIllinoisblue

i think people are happy because Evans has fronted up, said the ST price increase was a mistake and at least hinted at doing things differently.

I do agree the 5-point-plan is nothing more than a blueprint for how the vast majority of pro clubs should be run, and there's no real substance or weight behind it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

An interview that changes nothing on 20:30 - Apr 25 with 3741 viewsJ2BLUE

An interview that changes nothing on 20:27 - Apr 25 by Darth_Koont

I don't think people believed the plan before, now they do. Having someone say it does make a difference - it shouldn't but it does.

But having said that, now he's spoken I hope people can accept his written communication at face value now they can put a face, voice and personality to it.

I appreciated him saying he isn't prepared to match the spending of the big spending clubs. Much better than blaming FFP or just saying we can compete. He made it clear that having a plan and constant little improvement is the way to go and people can get on board with that as long as we see it working.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

An interview that changes nothing on 20:30 - Apr 25 with 3741 viewsDarth_Koont

An interview that changes nothing on 20:27 - Apr 25 by Illinoisblue

i think people are happy because Evans has fronted up, said the ST price increase was a mistake and at least hinted at doing things differently.

I do agree the 5-point-plan is nothing more than a blueprint for how the vast majority of pro clubs should be run, and there's no real substance or weight behind it.

That's the thing though. At ITFC we've followed it pretty religiously for the past few years. The entertainment and results are always difficult to guarantee but anything deliverable has been done as stated.

An interview that changes nothing on 20:32 - Apr 25 with 3711 viewsTrequartista

An interview that changes nothing on 20:30 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

I appreciated him saying he isn't prepared to match the spending of the big spending clubs. Much better than blaming FFP or just saying we can compete. He made it clear that having a plan and constant little improvement is the way to go and people can get on board with that as long as we see it working.

But in the same breath he won't admit that promotion is improbable, he keeps saying we are going for promotion. He said that in the last 2 seasons, and when we fail and blame the manager everyone tells us to be careful what we wish for and he is overachieving.

It's just constantly squaring a circle. It doesn't add up.

Login to get fewer ads

An interview that changes nothing on 20:33 - Apr 25 with 3705 viewsDarth_Koont

An interview that changes nothing on 20:30 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

Is it working if we don't win games in style?

I think we're doing the right things for the future and hoping that translates into short-term results too. But if it bears real fruit in a year or two or three then that's still working in my book.

An interview that changes nothing on 20:40 - Apr 25 with 3660 viewsJ2BLUE

An interview that changes nothing on 20:33 - Apr 25 by Darth_Koont

I think we're doing the right things for the future and hoping that translates into short-term results too. But if it bears real fruit in a year or two or three then that's still working in my book.

Absolutely, we need results but if we finish next season in 10th with plenty of academy players coming through then that is progress IMO. I don't want the moon on a stick and I don't need to see results instantly. Just slow and steady progress towards the goal would be nice.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

An interview that changes nothing on 20:45 - Apr 25 with 3639 viewsDarth_Koont

An interview that changes nothing on 20:40 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

Absolutely, we need results but if we finish next season in 10th with plenty of academy players coming through then that is progress IMO. I don't want the moon on a stick and I don't need to see results instantly. Just slow and steady progress towards the goal would be nice.

There are a lot of other fans who don't care about the stuff behind the scenes if results don't improve. After all, we have already been higher than 10th this season with lots of academy players coming through and the mood has often been terrible even so.

An interview that changes nothing on 21:01 - Apr 25 with 3576 viewsGuthrum

What other plan is feasible?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

An interview that changes nothing on 21:34 - Apr 25 with 3493 viewsrfretwell

An interview that changes nothing on 20:33 - Apr 25 by Darth_Koont

Well ME has spoken to the fans at long last so thats another step in the right direction. When it comes down to it realistically we all want to be competing strongly in the playoffs. Automatic promotion is most probably far out of reach nowadays unfortunately. So what of the playoffs? Even Burleys squad, which was far better than our current squad, took four attempts to win through the playoffs. ME is right to keep the managerial options open. Yes the Cowley brothers or Paul Cook etc may prove fantastic but then so may older more experienced managers. Back in May 1990 the avuncular and vastly experienced John Lyall took over the helm. He brought in big Steve Whitton and ace marksman Paul Goddard and allied them with our own highly talented youngsters like Jason Dozzell and Chris Kiwomya. Two seasons later we were back up in the old Div 1! If Marcus Evans can bring those days back to Portman Road the frustrations of the last ten years wil lsurely be forgiven by all.
An interview that changes nothing on 22:12 - Apr 25 with 3408 viewsmarcus1642

I'm neither happy or unhappy about it. It was quite a predictable broadcast, which, as a few posters have already stated, tells us nothing new.

I think the next manager has a very difficult job to perform, and I think there maybe tough times ahead as he reshapes the team to a more entertaining format.

On the whole though, it was nice to see Evans speaking directly to the fans and has the air of a man whom is very determined to get things right, and that starts with finding the right manager. A job that I do not envy him.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 22:15]
An interview that changes nothing on 22:34 - Apr 25 with 3355 viewsTrequartista

An interview that changes nothing on 21:01 - Apr 25 by Guthrum

What other plan is feasible?

Either invest at a level that gives us a decent chance of promotion otherwise don't try and kid people that we are trying to reach the premier league

An interview that changes nothing on 01:18 - Apr 26 with 3201 viewsHARRY10

An interview that changes nothing on 20:06 - Apr 25 by blueconscience

I agree,

The way people are praising and talking about him on here, I was expecting something exciting or progressive, not just him saying what we already knew.

Excactly !

Like a weather forecast that dwells on the benefits of the weather at that particular minute
An interview that changes nothing on 01:27 - Apr 26 with 3197 viewsGuthrum

An interview that changes nothing on 22:34 - Apr 25 by Trequartista

Either invest at a level that gives us a decent chance of promotion otherwise don't try and kid people that we are trying to reach the premier league

A five-year plan of sticking money into the Academy and buying promising youths from elsewhere is probably more cost-effective and has greater chance of success than a single season blowout. Certainly gives us a better-established team in the process.

That lines up with what Evans was saying about continuity throughout the club and seeking a manager who can develop players. After all, the difference in style between Youths and First Team at Ipswich was a frequent gripe during McCarthy's time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

An interview that changes nothing on 06:38 - Apr 26 with 3030 viewsWestSussexBlue

An interview that changes nothing on 22:34 - Apr 25 by Trequartista

He has a budget, the same as every one of us. At the end of the day you can’t spend what you don’t have. The academy and development of our own talent from youngsters to coaching is a realistic approach and I for one appreciate his stance.
The key is, hiring the correct manager to fulfill this next stage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024