Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... 09:10 - May 8 with 63339 viewslinhdi

I went to the opening night on Friday. For once, I agree with the reviews in the press - this show is simply brilliant.

It tells the story of our FA Cup run and win in 1978, from January to May, through the lives of Town fans and their families. The script is very closely based on memories provided by Town fans. Each round of the cup is accompanied by a live band playing tracks from 1978, effortlessly moving from Blonde to the Bee Gees to The Clash (etc).

It is hilarious - I defy you not to spot a bit of yourself, and maybe of any family members who don't do football (you don't have to be a fan to like this show).

The actor playing Sir Bobby is just superb - voice, body language. Those who knew Sir Bobby best said he has captured him really well.

And then there was the moment, at the end, when...... (No, just go see it!).

Fans who were there have gone misty-eyed, saying it captures the feeling superbly. Those who weren't there get to feel a bit what it was like.

I'll be going a few more times yet. (Runs to 26th May).
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:22 - May 12 with 7597 viewsDeano69

My turn tonight, can’t wait.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 20:52 - May 12 with 7554 viewsrayman_10

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:22 - May 12 by Deano69

My turn tonight, can’t wait.

Also here tonight. Very good so far!

COYB

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:54 - May 12 with 7516 viewsDeano69

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 20:52 - May 12 by rayman_10

Also here tonight. Very good so far!

Brilliant. Have to say, seem to get a lump in my throat and ahem something in my eye, pretty much every time ‘Bobby’ was speaking.

Abide with me. Blubbed like a girl.

It is fantastic.
[Post edited 12 May 2018 22:03]

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:44 - May 12 with 7487 viewsBlueinBrum

Just been and echo what's been said, it's wonderful. What a soundtrack too!

Sadly I wasn't around back in 1978 but it some similarities with myself at the the 2000 playoff final as a kid.

Only minor criticism was some slightly ropey Suffolk accents!! However as said the guy who plays SBR is uncanny.

Got to be seen if you can.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:59 - May 12 with 7485 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:54 - May 12 by Deano69

Brilliant. Have to say, seem to get a lump in my throat and ahem something in my eye, pretty much every time ‘Bobby’ was speaking.

Abide with me. Blubbed like a girl.

It is fantastic.
[Post edited 12 May 2018 22:03]

So glad you were able to make it.. and you could see why I was enthusing about it so much when I was telling you about it?!

Have they kept the couple of non-authentic of the time references to 'tractor boys' in, or have they accepted the error of doing so and dropped them now? That was the only thing I think I could criticise of when I saw it (a couple of nearly suffolk accents being forgiven).

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:06 - May 12 with 7473 viewskingcarloss

Went last night absolutely loved it, great surprise at the end. It's a must see.

Poll: Forget old club connections, or one of our own, who would you prefer with Skuse.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:23 - May 12 with 7451 viewsBlueinBrum

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:59 - May 12 by hoppy

So glad you were able to make it.. and you could see why I was enthusing about it so much when I was telling you about it?!

Have they kept the couple of non-authentic of the time references to 'tractor boys' in, or have they accepted the error of doing so and dropped them now? That was the only thing I think I could criticise of when I saw it (a couple of nearly suffolk accents being forgiven).

couple of tractor boy references still included tonight
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 00:45 - May 13 with 7424 viewslinhdi

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:23 - May 12 by BlueinBrum

couple of tractor boy references still included tonight

The anachronism was pointed out when the script was fact-checked some months ago. It was decided to keep the couple of references "for artistic reasons".

One other error - that had slipped in at a revision - was corrected after the first performance (and even that was really not a big deal). There are a couple of other bits that are not, quite, historically accurate, one of which was spotted by one fan,
but not yet mentioned on here, and the other is so far unnoticed!

They've done a fabulous job...
Login to get fewer ads

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:37 - May 13 with 7363 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 00:45 - May 13 by linhdi

The anachronism was pointed out when the script was fact-checked some months ago. It was decided to keep the couple of references "for artistic reasons".

One other error - that had slipped in at a revision - was corrected after the first performance (and even that was really not a big deal). There are a couple of other bits that are not, quite, historically accurate, one of which was spotted by one fan,
but not yet mentioned on here, and the other is so far unnoticed!

They've done a fabulous job...

I was not sure and am still not sure about the accuracy of the ice skating references relating to the game at Bristol Rovers.

As you say, they've done a fabulous job.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:49 - May 13 with 7356 viewsDeano69

I mentioned that Tractor Boys to the missus (who looked at me blankly), but it didn’t spoil it really for me. I think I have fully come expect a Suffolk accent can’t be emulated, although I heard a very accurate ‘Towen’ thrown in there.

We were in row I, but some friends on the front row suggested you could see up their shorts. Lol

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:32 - May 14 with 7044 viewsginkyblue

I'm thinking of travelling down to watch this with the missus this weekend (after reading all of the glowing reviews on here) but as I'm not a resident of the town I'd need to stay overnight - or endure a 5 hour round trip in the motor, meaning I also can't have a drink.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is can anyone recommend a nice, cheapi-ish hotel or BnB?

Thanks all and can't wait to see the show.

Poll: Letting smoke bomb off

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:40 - May 14 with 6952 viewsPhilTWTD

We spotted a few things along those lines, matches had been cancelled rather than postponed ahead of the Bristol Rovers match and I think there was a Loadsamoney reference which was a decade too early. But not too many.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:40 - May 14 with 6945 viewslinhdi

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:32 - May 14 by ginkyblue

I'm thinking of travelling down to watch this with the missus this weekend (after reading all of the glowing reviews on here) but as I'm not a resident of the town I'd need to stay overnight - or endure a 5 hour round trip in the motor, meaning I also can't have a drink.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is can anyone recommend a nice, cheapi-ish hotel or BnB?

Thanks all and can't wait to see the show.

The usual chains are here, incl Travelodge and Premier Inn, plus a Marstons place at the Mermaid, all near the centre. The Penta near the station also gets well reviewed. There are a number of small independent s, but I can't recommend one over another!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 14:00 - May 14 with 6928 viewsginkyblue

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:40 - May 14 by linhdi

The usual chains are here, incl Travelodge and Premier Inn, plus a Marstons place at the Mermaid, all near the centre. The Penta near the station also gets well reviewed. There are a number of small independent s, but I can't recommend one over another!

Thanks, will check them out now.

Poll: Letting smoke bomb off

I won't catch it on 09:26 - May 15 with 6776 viewsDyland

Annoying cos I wonder if it will run again...

I was talking about it with an old guy who's quite a name in theatre and he also said it's really very good. I asked if you needed to be Town fan to really appreciate it and he said absolutely not, it's a quality piece of theatre full stop. He's not a Town fan btw.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I won't catch it on 12:02 - May 15 with 6729 viewshoppy

I won't catch it on 09:26 - May 15 by Dyland

Annoying cos I wonder if it will run again...

I was talking about it with an old guy who's quite a name in theatre and he also said it's really very good. I asked if you needed to be Town fan to really appreciate it and he said absolutely not, it's a quality piece of theatre full stop. He's not a Town fan btw.

That's a shame. I'm hoping to catch it again at the weekend.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:25 - May 15 with 6611 viewsBluespeed225

wonder if Sir Trevor Nunn has popped along? Take it to the Wset End!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:33 - May 15 with 6538 viewsstumpysausage

Great night good evening lovely to see walky
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:03 - May 16 with 6315 viewsReuser_is_God

Taking my dad tonight

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:22 - May 16 with 6197 viewsHarry_Palmer

Can only echo what everybody else has said really, this show is fantastic and a really enjoyable two hours. The 70's soundtrack, expertly re-produced by the live band is just brilliant and the acting is great.

If you can possibly get to this show before it closes, do. It really is a must see.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 21:02]
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:38 - May 16 with 6196 viewsScuzzer

Went last night. I think a tear was lurking on my eyelid for most of the performance. Sir Bobby's essence was superbly manifested by the actor.....nearly every time he spoke I got them welling up again....really am getting old and a big softie.....but I don't care. I said to Mrs Scuzzer....there is one person who really needs to go and see this to get a better understanding of what our club is all about.....a certain Mr Marcus Evans. Oh and the selection of music.....was absolutely superb linking in perfectly with the scene it was backing. Bristol Rovers was hilarious....with the 'ballet on ice' to the Bee Gees simply perfect. Do hurry and catch it before it ends it is well worth it for any Town fan.

Established 1968

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:14 - May 16 with 6116 viewsReuser_is_God

Just got back from the show tonight.

Utterly superb, anyone that hasn’t been needs to go.

My favourite part was cup final Mastermind, thought it was brilliant.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 22:32]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:02 - May 17 with 5902 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:14 - May 16 by Reuser_is_God

Absolutely.
There are still tickets available on the dates I’ve looked at, although loads have gone, as I booked last night to take Yasmin again on Saturday afternoon!
It is a class production from start to finish!

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:12 - May 17 with 5898 viewsTLA

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:02 - May 17 by hoppy

Absolutely.
There are still tickets available on the dates I’ve looked at, although loads have gone, as I booked last night to take Yasmin again on Saturday afternoon!
It is a class production from start to finish!

I'd really like to go and Saturday afternoon seems the best time. If I do, I'll give you a shout to say hello.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:48 - May 17 with 5878 viewsDeano69

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:14 - May 16 by Reuser_is_God

Correct.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024