Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... 08:44 - May 28 with 2222 viewsSwailsey

Do we hate Hurst now because he isn’t a championship manager this morning?

I thought we wanted to look in L1/2.

The Shrews forum have picked up on some of our threads too..

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 08:50 - May 28 with 2177 viewsDanTheMan

Something like that. Apparently he has no plan B or something.

I missed the game so can't really talk about it. I thought the point with Hurst was that it was remarkable they were even in the playoff final given their resources.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:01 - May 28 with 2137 viewsMullet

You'd say it was unbelievable, but it really isn't is it? Depressingly all this high-horse rhetoric about a fresh start, get behind the new man, young and hungry (bleurgh) etc. proves to be horse sh1t it seems from certain people.

Yesterday was like Burton meeting Villa in the final in terms of equivalence for this league. He's also given them a cup run, something supposedly important too when it suits. But because Hurst is similar to Mick the panic set in it seems. Even though, if you'd bother to check him out you'd know all of this already.

We're getting the manager with most potential possible who also fits in with what we're doing here. I think a few were too dazzled by Evans 20 minutes of literally saying everything and nothing and just picked out and clung to bits they liked the sound of or could mould into their own preferences.

99% will give him a go, and that's what really counts. Anyone moaning now is a guttersnipe.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:06 - May 28 with 2120 viewstractorboy1978

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 08:50 - May 28 by DanTheMan

Something like that. Apparently he has no plan B or something.

I missed the game so can't really talk about it. I thought the point with Hurst was that it was remarkable they were even in the playoff final given their resources.

On yesterday's evidence I have no idea how he managed to get 87pts, a play off final and a Checkatrade trophy final out of that side.
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:17 - May 28 with 2072 viewsTexaco73

I don't think "we" do. Some individuals had become fixated on Ross and seeing Sunderland snap him up has probably caused some resentment in the protracted appointment process at ITFC.
We don't know what happened in the interviews so far and what ME really wants.
Hurst obviously isn't a bad manager. If he is appointed and is ME's preferred candidate, which is difficult to see if he has yet to speak to him, then we can only judge Hurst on his performance at PR.
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:19 - May 28 with 2059 viewsGuthrum

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:01 - May 28 by Mullet

You'd say it was unbelievable, but it really isn't is it? Depressingly all this high-horse rhetoric about a fresh start, get behind the new man, young and hungry (bleurgh) etc. proves to be horse sh1t it seems from certain people.

Yesterday was like Burton meeting Villa in the final in terms of equivalence for this league. He's also given them a cup run, something supposedly important too when it suits. But because Hurst is similar to Mick the panic set in it seems. Even though, if you'd bother to check him out you'd know all of this already.

We're getting the manager with most potential possible who also fits in with what we're doing here. I think a few were too dazzled by Evans 20 minutes of literally saying everything and nothing and just picked out and clung to bits they liked the sound of or could mould into their own preferences.

99% will give him a go, and that's what really counts. Anyone moaning now is a guttersnipe.

So far, we have not the faintest idea of how Hurst would use our current squad, who he might get in or the tactics he might use with players of the quality available to him in the Championship. How he would handle the flow of talented youths coming out of a top-level academy. How the different style prevelant in the higher division (even down to smoothness of the pitches) may affect his own approach.

All we really know is that he managed to get one of the less well-endowed clubs in League One to a play-off final, finishing well clear of the teams below and only beaten by two clubs bouncing back after relegation (and relatively recently playing in the Prem). That's a very valuable quality for our situation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:24 - May 28 with 2029 viewsTheDailyTractor

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:06 - May 28 by tractorboy1978

On yesterday's evidence I have no idea how he managed to get 87pts, a play off final and a Checkatrade trophy final out of that side.

For what it's worth that was shrewsburys 62nd or 63rd game last season. For the team they have and not a very large squad I think he's done extremely well. He would thrive with our academy.

He's basically taken a team in the relegation zone to almost the championship in a season and a bit with a bunch of players from non league and a few loans. He's not getting the credit he deserves from a lot of people - whether he ends up here or not.
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:31 - May 28 with 1996 viewsMullet

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:19 - May 28 by Guthrum

So far, we have not the faintest idea of how Hurst would use our current squad, who he might get in or the tactics he might use with players of the quality available to him in the Championship. How he would handle the flow of talented youths coming out of a top-level academy. How the different style prevelant in the higher division (even down to smoothness of the pitches) may affect his own approach.

All we really know is that he managed to get one of the less well-endowed clubs in League One to a play-off final, finishing well clear of the teams below and only beaten by two clubs bouncing back after relegation (and relatively recently playing in the Prem). That's a very valuable quality for our situation.

I just hope he's given the season at least. Unless he turns out to be Jewell levels of inept, he needs that. It's possibly telling that the two scum players on loan looked very handy, Godfrey especially. As did their keeper from Utd.

Hopefully he'll revert us to a back four, but you sense he'll need to assess how many CMs are useful given how he switches them to dictate how his team sets up from a holding player to flat 442 etc.

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:44 - May 28 with 1948 viewsGuthrum

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:31 - May 28 by Mullet

I just hope he's given the season at least. Unless he turns out to be Jewell levels of inept, he needs that. It's possibly telling that the two scum players on loan looked very handy, Godfrey especially. As did their keeper from Utd.

Hopefully he'll revert us to a back four, but you sense he'll need to assess how many CMs are useful given how he switches them to dictate how his team sets up from a holding player to flat 442 etc.

Reverting to a back four will partly depend on who we can get playing out wide in the midfield. If we need to rely on wing-backs again, then we probably need three CBs to cover the defence.

Login to get fewer ads

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:09 - May 28 with 1907 viewsNo9

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 09:19 - May 28 by Guthrum

This is the nub of the issue isn't it? How many of Towns players see themselves as MM's first choice and will they perform for A.N.Other
It isn't just Town that face this dilema it is all teams bringing in a new man to take over.
From where I sit a complete re-build of midfiled is essential and reinforcement at the back - depending on what his preferred M.O. is will be critical to move forward.

presently I'm not convinced were are not looking at MM Mk II
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:25 - May 28 with 1866 viewsSuperfrans

“The season at least”???

If we’re going into a new era with a new manager, we need to start off with 2-3 years being the default. For a start, if we hire Hurst he’s going to be starting about two weeks before pre-season starts, we’re highly unlikely to be firing on all cylinders by the time the season gets underway. It’s going to be a year before it’s really his team, if then.

Next season’s target should be mid-table, 2019-20 should be the season when we’re looking to make progress. If we overperform against that, all the better. But we should definitely NOT be judging him until we’re a couple of seasons in, at the earliest.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:27 - May 28 with 1858 viewsimsureazzure

Some just have to moan, some just have to whine about people moaning, some just have to moa...…………………………………………….

ad nauseum.
Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:43 - May 28 with 1826 viewsGuthrum

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:09 - May 28 by No9

This is the nub of the issue isn't it? How many of Towns players see themselves as MM's first choice and will they perform for A.N.Other
It isn't just Town that face this dilema it is all teams bringing in a new man to take over.
From where I sit a complete re-build of midfiled is essential and reinforcement at the back - depending on what his preferred M.O. is will be critical to move forward.

presently I'm not convinced were are not looking at MM Mk II

Don't see too much of a problem with McCarthy Mk II, so long as a) he handles relations with fans a bit better; and b) he doesn't go so far into defensive mode when things aren't going well.

If the players really don't want to perform for the new man, I doubt they'll stay. In reality, unless he's asking them to do things they really feel they aren't up to or is some sort of abrasive personality, I doubt most members of the squad would not be happy to carry on at ITFC. Especially if there is some success to lift the spirits.

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:50 - May 28 with 1804 viewsGuthrum

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:25 - May 28 by Superfrans

“The season at least”???

If we’re going into a new era with a new manager, we need to start off with 2-3 years being the default. For a start, if we hire Hurst he’s going to be starting about two weeks before pre-season starts, we’re highly unlikely to be firing on all cylinders by the time the season gets underway. It’s going to be a year before it’s really his team, if then.

Next season’s target should be mid-table, 2019-20 should be the season when we’re looking to make progress. If we overperform against that, all the better. But we should definitely NOT be judging him until we’re a couple of seasons in, at the earliest.

This "lack of preparation" thing is overstated. A lot of managers take over in mid-season, with just days to assess and organise the team before their first competitive game. Our new man will have the whole of preseason.

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 11:03 - May 28 with 1780 viewsBlueBadger

Given that he gave Keane a season and half when it was painfully apparent he wasn't up to the job by the end of September 2009, I'm sure he'll get time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 12:22 - May 28 with 1705 viewsMullet

Quick lazy scan of the forum this morning... on 10:25 - May 28 by Superfrans

“The season at least”???

I agree, but I'm talking about those who don't want him now based on 90 mins or so being joined by a few if the losses pile up at all early doors.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024