Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? 16:04 - Jun 27 with 6465 viewsPhilTWTD

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 17:33 - Jun 27 with 1195 viewsblue62

Football is a business, so if someone offer you between 5 and 10x what you paid for something then it's good business. Just hope there is a decent replacement on the horizon.
Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 17:34 - Jun 27 with 1196 viewsblueconscience

The more important question is, how much of that fee be made available for transfers.

If none or very little is made available then it doesn’t matter how much he is sold for.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 17:37 - Jun 27 with 1185 viewsericclacton

He always looked a bag of nerves to me, when he was fit.

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 17:52 - Jun 27 with 1157 viewsstig4532

Yes, happy indeed. Especially if we can bring in Toto Nsiala or a similar-quality player to replace him.

Better still.. spend some of that cash on Trent Sainsbury!
Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 18:18 - Jun 27 with 1115 viewsSwansea_Blue

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 17:33 - Jun 27 by blue62

Football is a business, so if someone offer you between 5 and 10x what you paid for something then it's good business. Just hope there is a decent replacement on the horizon.

I think that simplistic business model breaks down for football clubs. Players aren’t products solely in their own right. The real value doesn’t lie in a player’s transfer fee, it’s in what the team can deliver including their contribution. Promotion would generate far more income than selling all our players ever would, for example, but is less likely to be achieved if you keep selling your better players.

I suppose what I’m saying is, selling may well not be a good business decision (even for a profit on fees paid) if it’s a business decision rather than done for footballing reasons. Could be a life saver for cash flow though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 19:46 - Jun 27 with 1081 viewsitfcjoe

At this moment in time the fee is a good fee.

But for me, had we held on to him for another year we'd have been in one of 3 positions:

1 - he puts it all together and is worth £8-10m

2 - he stays fit and has an average season - still worth £3-4m

3 - ANother injury hit season - worth a couple of million

I just don't see that now is a good time to sell him. If we are to sell him now it's a decent fee, just think holding on would have been a better plan

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 19:54 - Jun 27 with 1067 viewsPJH

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 19:46 - Jun 27 by itfcjoe

At this moment in time the fee is a good fee.

But for me, had we held on to him for another year we'd have been in one of 3 positions:

1 - he puts it all together and is worth £8-10m

2 - he stays fit and has an average season - still worth £3-4m

3 - ANother injury hit season - worth a couple of million

I just don't see that now is a good time to sell him. If we are to sell him now it's a decent fee, just think holding on would have been a better plan

You have got to assume that there IS a plan of some sort because I would have thought that Adam Webster should have become a very important part of this (reportedly) bright new beginning.
There might be further changes made that make sense of what has been done today but as of this moment I think that we have sold a very good player for a lot less than he is/will be worth.
Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 20:23 - Jun 27 with 1045 viewsPlums

Happy with £5m for Adam Webster? on 16:09 - Jun 27 by PhilTWTD

It always is reinvested, just that some seem to think going towards wages doesn't constitute reinvesting.

For the record, I think it's a very good fee for someone who has struggled to get fit for more than a handful of games in a row and, for all his attributes, could be blamed for a lot of goals during his time here.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of promise but actually, this is a really good bit of business for Town.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024