Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games 14:07 - Aug 22 with 1583 viewsTractorJack

Was going to post this here but Twitter was easier.

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:19 - Aug 22 with 1514 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting observations

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:29 - Aug 22 with 1485 viewsSteve_M

It's a good way to get more followers on Twitter.

Interesting though, it looked like Harrison was too deep so good to see it confirmed.

Anything on the overlaps by the fullbacks? My sense is that Knudsen is doing so a lot but Donacien perhaps concentrating on the defensive side more and didn't get so far forward.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:33 - Aug 22 with 1463 viewsdirtyboy

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:19 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

Interesting observations

Genuine insight right there.
Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:39 - Aug 22 with 1444 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another difference I noticed was the influence of Edwards on the game. He had moments of magic (including scoring) against Blackburn and Villa. He was much less in the game vs Derby. The stat about passing is influenced by the fact Derby went short a lot from the back and we tended to go safety first rather more.

We certainly had an off day collectively last night. The link-up play we had previously was not there. Was it because of playing so long with 10 men on Saturday? Because of Ward coming in for Sears/Edun? Because Derby are actually far better opposition? Just an off day? Maybe it was a combination of these things.

We need to get more attacking intent from Nolan, Edwards and whoever is on the other wing than we had last night. They need to link up better with whoever is up front. I am confident these things will come.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:46 - Aug 22 with 1413 viewsTractorJack

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:29 - Aug 22 by Steve_M

Interesting though, it looked like Harrison was too deep so good to see it confirmed.

Anything on the overlaps by the fullbacks? My sense is that Knudsen is doing so a lot but Donacien perhaps concentrating on the defensive side more and didn't get so far forward.

Yeah, that's definitely the case.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:51 - Aug 22 with 1385 viewsMullet

Where did you generate these from out of interest?

I think there's a few misconceptions that don't help people so far. One being Nolan is both an attacking midfielder when he plays like/as a CM. Also that he's currently at Championship level.

It's nice that pass accuracy is high, but damning when you look at the heat map. Fairly obvious with the naked eye too in recent games. Also the stark comparison between back fours last night was just in the passing but how we held the line.

Looking at the Rotherham game, their depth and closed ranks approach perhaps flattered us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:56 - Aug 22 with 1367 viewsHalifaxBlue

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:29 - Aug 22 by Steve_M

The twitter account is not mine, but here are some observations with regards too fullbacks which would confirm what you suggest.

https://imgur.com/a/EFZbNZx

Heatmap for the fullbacks v. Derby. Donacien rarely touches the ball in attacking positions, and never within 18 yards of the byline. He is used to recycle possession rather than create overloads.

https://imgur.com/a/jsqDNdp

And v. Rotherham, it is even more clear. It would appear that Donacien is being allowed to have the ball, Rotherham possibly funnelling our buildup from the back out to the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/AaXC9Ta

https://imgur.com/a/WN2maRr

Above are crosses delivered by our fullbacks in those two games. This makes it very evident that Knudsen is relied on much more heavily than Donacien going forward.

Sorry about the links. Not quite sure how to upload images here.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:00 - Aug 22 with 1341 viewsHalifaxBlue

Great content TractorJack, would love to see some more tactics wonkery on here.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Login to get fewer ads

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:01 - Aug 22 with 1339 viewsTractorJack

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:51 - Aug 22 by Mullet

I think there's a few misconceptions that don't help people so far. One being Nolan is both an attacking midfielder when he plays like/as a CM. Also that he's currently at Championship level.

It's nice that pass accuracy is high, but damning when you look at the heat map. Fairly obvious with the naked eye too in recent games. Also the stark comparison between back fours last night was just in the passing but how we held the line.

Looking at the Rotherham game, their depth and closed ranks approach perhaps flattered us.

I hadn't seen Nolan before he joined but he looks more suited to 8 than 10 sadly.

Agree on the last two points.
Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:05 - Aug 22 with 1318 viewsMullet

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:01 - Aug 22 by TractorJack

I hadn't seen Nolan before he joined but he looks more suited to 8 than 10 sadly.

Agree on the last two points.

I think he's going to have that Holland type appeal to his play when he gets going, but whether he has the presence and charisma too I'm not so sure. Hurst obviously believes and knows his abilities, which is a big plus. But we are going to need to see games where we are less reliant on the senior players inherited.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:05 - Aug 22 with 1318 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:56 - Aug 22 by HalifaxBlue

The twitter account is not mine, but here are some observations with regards too fullbacks which would confirm what you suggest.

https://imgur.com/a/EFZbNZx

Heatmap for the fullbacks v. Derby. Donacien rarely touches the ball in attacking positions, and never within 18 yards of the byline. He is used to recycle possession rather than create overloads.

https://imgur.com/a/jsqDNdp

And v. Rotherham, it is even more clear. It would appear that Donacien is being allowed to have the ball, Rotherham possibly funnelling our buildup from the back out to the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/AaXC9Ta

https://imgur.com/a/WN2maRr

Above are crosses delivered by our fullbacks in those two games. This makes it very evident that Knudsen is relied on much more heavily than Donacien going forward.

Sorry about the links. Not quite sure how to upload images here.

Knudsen switched play to Edwards a lot versus Blackburn (in fact we always seemed to be looking to him in our attacking intent). That didn't appear to happen last night at all. We need to avoid being a one-trick pony (although Steve Whitton/Jonathan Walters used to be utilised a lot to great effect). Knudsen's long throws seem to be in the mix again now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 15:12 - Aug 22 with 1280 viewsitfcjoe

Some stats/tactical observations from the first few games on 14:51 - Aug 22 by Mullet

They are on the match reports of whoscored.com

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024