Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Theresa promising a second vote? 17:58 - Sep 19 with 6004 viewsElderGrizzly

[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 18:06]
Theresa promising a second vote? on 09:47 - Sep 20 with 531 viewsSwansea_Blue

Theresa promising a second vote? on 20:43 - Sep 19 by GlasgowBlue

In his foreword to the Treasury’s analysis of the short-term effects of a Leave vote — released a month before the referendum — Osborne wrote: “a vote to leave would represent an immediate and profound shock to our economy. That shock would push our economy into a recession and lead to an increase in unemployment of around 500,000 ”.

“The analysis shows that immediately following a vote to leave the EU, the economy would be pushed into a recession, with four quarters of negative growth.”

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

"The UK would immediately start sliding into recession. House prices would crumble. Shares would crash".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/04/imf-peak-pessimism-brexit-eu-re

edit. Nothing to say Swansea?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 21:04]

Only that you're comparing apples with oranges. If before the match I predicted we'd have lost 2-1 to Brentford, but we came away at 1-1 does that make me a liar? Osborne is many things (few nice) but do you have proof he intentionally deceived people?

The Treasury report is pretty cringeworthy in it's certainty. It's amateur in the the way the analysis has been presented - not arguing against that. But it was a prediction and it also does talk about a number of assumptions that subsequently haven't been met, which are conveniently ignored in the headlines - e.g. clarity over the nature of the future deal.

And we did need £50bn of QE to avoid the worse, and it was broadly right in that our growth have taken a 2-3% hit relative to others, seeing trailing the rest of the G&. And the £ crashed. And the global economy subsequently did better than expected, etc, etc.

So ultimately, although Osborne is a complete cockwomble he was right that we'd take a hit in the immediate aftermath. It's not been positive so far. He was wrong to state it as a certainty. At least the BoE and IMF had the sense to highlight that they were only looking at scenarios that could happen.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Theresa promising a second vote? on 13:29 - Sep 20 with 499 viewsSpruceMoose

Theresa promising a second vote? on 05:48 - Sep 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Personally speaking, if there was anothe referendum on this, I’d not bother voting.

Because I voted the first time. But because Cameron and his chins didn’t get the result they wanted, it’s ended up dragging on for years, new people are in charge of it and, if a second referendum was then called after all of that, it completely undermines the idea of a democratic vote in my opinion.

Hopefully some time at uni will motivate you to be more outraged about politics!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024