Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for those of you who coach youth teams 15:47 - Oct 15 with 4842 viewsIllinoisblue

do you show restraint on the sidelines when you score? say, for example,, you had a game yesterday and your U9 team was up 2-0 against a local rival, were pegged back to 2-2, but then scored the winner two minutes from the end.

Would you give a bit of clapping and a thumbs-up to the scorer then then calmly tell the lads to focus on their shape and keep things tight.

or would you throw your clipboard in the air, high-five the subs, and give it a loud "get in there" while jumping up and down?

I'm a little embarrassed to say I was that guy yesterday but it's football, and what is football without emotion?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:22 - Oct 15 with 1052 viewsPlums

for those of you who coach youth teams on 19:42 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

I've not experienced it, and have bad memories of being an unused sub for the A team and getting my £1 subs back as we lost a top of the table clash 2-1 and I didn't come on.

After getting 10-15 minutes a week I went down to the B team to play a Cup game and just never went back which p155ed my manager off even though I never played!

But I don't really get a non-competitive league, would it not be better to have bigger clubs with training games to really improve? I'm sure I'll find all this out in a few years time, and no doubt will be involved and running a team myself!

Kids develop at such different rates that anyone who claims to ID the ‘best’ players and build teams around them at a young age is a fool. I’m chair of a large junior club (20+ teams) and EVERY team we have ever had who haven’t had a development ethic has folded by U14. When the winning stops, the kids and parents look for other clubs and the mini Mourinho coach is usually just left with his own kid and the ‘subs’ he never used (if they’ve stuck with it).

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:53 - Oct 15 with 1034 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 18:52 - Oct 15 by WadeyBlue

I was a youth coach for 6 years. There are some coaches who are in it for themselves, but theres more that want the children to enjoy themselves. Which is the right way.

Only thing i shouted was encouragement or well done with a smile and a thumbs up. Also would congrat both goalies if they made saves.

Parents are what ruins youth football. Ive seen a few kids give up because their mum or dad is continually shouting. Also had a word with a few parents when their kid gets upset and wants to come off because of the parents behaviour.

you're right about the parents; had one Dad last season who was constantly - and I mean constantly as in the whole game - yelling at his kid to run faster, work harder, take a shot, etc. Non-stop. By the end of the season, none of the other parents would sit by him.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:55 - Oct 15 with 1034 viewstractorshark

My youngest played an U11s team yesterday which was full of decent players, presumably a few of them with academies.
We lost 7-0 but played pretty well. The other side were stronger and more skilful but the major difference was their composure and passing at the back.
However, there were a fair few ‘dark arts’ on show. Two things really grated on me.
The first was when we broke free early in the second half, our striker was cynically hacked down with absolutely no attempt to play the ball.
The second and more worrying was the constant arguing with the ref, who looked no more than 16.
Every decision was disputed. One of their lads told him: “Oi, ref, you’re having a shocker”.
And after a decision went their way, another said: “Finally, he’s got one right.”
These kids are 10 or 11...
The team we were playing are called “All Stars” and apparently employ paid coaches.
The coach yesterday, presumably heavily FA qualified, never once reprimanded his players for showing dissent.
Now I’m no saint and I accept football can get heated and competitive at any level.
But watching 10 year olds behave like that was rather sad.
I was probably more disappointed in the coach if I’m honest.
Clearly they were well drilled but I suspect they have poached/lured most of their players from other local clubs which doesn’t exactly make you a genius tactician at youth level.
I’m all for desire and a winning attitude, even a bit of arrogance.
But if that’s what we’re teaching our brighter prospects at U11 level, then I’d hate to see them at 14.
for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:59 - Oct 15 with 1032 viewschristiand

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:55 - Oct 15 by tractorshark

My youngest played an U11s team yesterday which was full of decent players, presumably a few of them with academies.
We lost 7-0 but played pretty well. The other side were stronger and more skilful but the major difference was their composure and passing at the back.
However, there were a fair few ‘dark arts’ on show. Two things really grated on me.
The first was when we broke free early in the second half, our striker was cynically hacked down with absolutely no attempt to play the ball.
The second and more worrying was the constant arguing with the ref, who looked no more than 16.
Every decision was disputed. One of their lads told him: “Oi, ref, you’re having a shocker”.
And after a decision went their way, another said: “Finally, he’s got one right.”
The team we were playing are called “All Stars” and apparently employ paid coaches.
The coach yesterday, presumably heavily FA qualified, never once reprimanded his players for showing dissent.
Now I’m no saint and I accept football can get heated and competitive at any level.
Clearly they were well drilled but I suspect they have poached/lured most of their players from other local clubs which doesn’t exactly make you a genius tactician at youth level.
But if that’s what we’re teaching our brighter prospects at U11 level, then I’d hate to see them at 14.

It probably comes from their coach’s behaviour towards the referee during other games. I was at a game a few weeks ago and one lad was having a go at the referee, the manager took him off. Although a rarity, it was really good to see. Certainly raised a smile on my face.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 22:03]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

for those of you who coach youth teams on 22:03 - Oct 15 with 1026 viewsPlums

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:55 - Oct 15 by tractorshark

That’s horrible. I know a coach who packed up coaching girls when it became evident 10 year olds were being taught to stamp on other kids feet at corners and set plays. His daughter went to play hockey.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 08:26 - Oct 16 with 990 viewsartsbossbeard

for those of you who coach youth teams on 21:59 - Oct 15 by christiand

It probably comes from their coach’s behaviour towards the referee during other games. I was at a game a few weeks ago and one lad was having a go at the referee, the manager took him off. Although a rarity, it was really good to see. Certainly raised a smile on my face.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 22:03]

We're an FA chartered club, which means that all the coaches have to have Level 1 badges as a minimum (the club will pay to get you to Level 1) and we get both our parents and players to sign a code of conduct form at the start of the season which stops a lot of the silliness or at the very least makes the parents responsible for their actions.

The boys fully understand that arguing with the ref = getting hooked straight away. No question.

In fairness, I don't get any stick from our set of parents although I did have some hassle last season from one ex set of parents as apparently having their boy for 2-3hrs a week means that he should be fit as fiddle and that letting him play on his Xbox and eat rubbish from when he gets home from school to bedtime wasn't a factor. Who knew?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 08:31 - Oct 16 with 981 viewsartsbossbeard

for those of you who coach youth teams on 19:42 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

I've not experienced it, and have bad memories of being an unused sub for the A team and getting my £1 subs back as we lost a top of the table clash 2-1 and I didn't come on.

After getting 10-15 minutes a week I went down to the B team to play a Cup game and just never went back which p155ed my manager off even though I never played!

But I don't really get a non-competitive league, would it not be better to have bigger clubs with training games to really improve? I'm sure I'll find all this out in a few years time, and no doubt will be involved and running a team myself!

The games changed.

I remember as a late teenager getting the call up to the first team and going over to Godmanchester on a Wednesday night game under the floodlights. A tight game and I was seething because I didn't get on from the bench. The manager put his arm around me, apologised and promised that he'd get me involved next game. He did.

My mates lad plays at high level and is a very good young footballer. Went up to Birmingham a few weeks back, sat on the bench all game and wasn't overly fussed that he didn't get on. The manager didn't say anything to him and he still got his £200+ a week wage.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024