Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? 16:25 - Nov 6 with 1466 viewsGeoffSentence

OK, so I am pretty sure there will be plenty of variables that will affect it, but I am considering getting electricity run out to the garage, just for a light and a couple of sockets - which is about 2m from the house and wondering if any of you guys can give me a rough idea of what it might cost.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 16:39 - Nov 6 with 1441 viewsCoastalblue

Do you have any space in the consumer unit (fuse box) to fit an extra breaker for the garage? Where is the consumer unit in relation to the garage, if it's the other side of the house it's a pain?
What's between the garage and the house? Concrete or hard landscaping? Can you get a cable underground to it is what I guess I'm asking?

To do it properly is probably going to cost more than you expect, to do it so it works safely possibly not so much, but any electrician is going to be bound by regulations.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:00 - Nov 6 with 1415 viewsjeera

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:04 - Nov 6 with 1411 viewsfarkenhell

I did the same a couple of years ago. From my very sketchy memory, I think the cost was circa £5/600. Certainly not as much as a grand. 4 fluros and 4 sockets plus external sensor lights. Fortunately I already had a cable running from the house and I persuaded the electrician to re-use a spare consumer unit that I kept from when we renovated the house a few years before.

Worth getting a couple of quotes.
Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:05 - Nov 6 with 1402 viewsGeoffSentence

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 16:39 - Nov 6 by Coastalblue

Do you have any space in the consumer unit (fuse box) to fit an extra breaker for the garage? Where is the consumer unit in relation to the garage, if it's the other side of the house it's a pain?
What's between the garage and the house? Concrete or hard landscaping? Can you get a cable underground to it is what I guess I'm asking?

To do it properly is probably going to cost more than you expect, to do it so it works safely possibly not so much, but any electrician is going to be bound by regulations.

yeah the consumer unit is on the other side of the house, it looks like all the circuits are in use.

There's not much between the garage and the house a couple of flagstones and bit of grass.

There is some cable on the ouside of the house for an existing light that is not in use, whether tht could be extended or not I don't, though I suspect not.

I am really looking for a sort of order of magnitude figure.

Hundreds of pounds ? More than 1K?

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:07 - Nov 6 with 1398 viewsGeoffSentence

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:04 - Nov 6 by farkenhell

I did the same a couple of years ago. From my very sketchy memory, I think the cost was circa £5/600. Certainly not as much as a grand. 4 fluros and 4 sockets plus external sensor lights. Fortunately I already had a cable running from the house and I persuaded the electrician to re-use a spare consumer unit that I kept from when we renovated the house a few years before.

Worth getting a couple of quotes.

Yes, I will be getting a couple of quotes, but as is the way with tradesfolk they all seem very busy so even getting people to quote is proving tricky.

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:48 - Nov 6 with 1358 viewsfactual_blue

Just plug a 10m extension lead from the house.

Simple.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:26 - Nov 6 with 1332 viewsFather_Jack

Top tip: keep your running costs to a minimum by running the cable from your next door neighbour's house rather than yours.

Less is more.

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:28 - Nov 6 with 1324 viewsjeera

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 17:05 - Nov 6 by GeoffSentence

yeah the consumer unit is on the other side of the house, it looks like all the circuits are in use.

There's not much between the garage and the house a couple of flagstones and bit of grass.

There is some cable on the ouside of the house for an existing light that is not in use, whether tht could be extended or not I don't, though I suspect not.

I am really looking for a sort of order of magnitude figure.

Hundreds of pounds ? More than 1K?

Can't you just do the majority of the work yourself and then pay someone who knows what they're doing to join up either side?

Login to get fewer ads

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:36 - Nov 6 with 1308 viewsCoastalblue

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:26 - Nov 6 by Father_Jack

Top tip: keep your running costs to a minimum by running the cable from your next door neighbour's house rather than yours.

I once cut the entire power in a property, and then got a belt as I was changing the bathroom light fitting.

It was an old terraced house and all the upstairs lights ran off next door's supply.

Top tip. Check for dead.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:38 - Nov 6 with 1300 viewsjeera

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:36 - Nov 6 by Coastalblue

I once cut the entire power in a property, and then got a belt as I was changing the bathroom light fitting.

It was an old terraced house and all the upstairs lights ran off next door's supply.

Top tip. Check for dead.

Did you manage to join it back up and keep it going?

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 19:00 - Nov 6 with 1277 viewsMJallday

i had a part c qualified chap do ours for £350- feed and cut of in main house, 15 meter run of external cable outside, and feed into a box into the garage, spurred off into a socket.

hth

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 19:16 - Nov 6 with 1251 viewsGeoffSentence

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 18:28 - Nov 6 by jeera

Can't you just do the majority of the work yourself and then pay someone who knows what they're doing to join up either side?

Fwck no, I'd kill myself and burn the house down.

I am a complete DIY numpty.

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 19:17 - Nov 6 with 1249 viewsjeera

Rough cost for running electricity to an external garage? on 19:16 - Nov 6 by GeoffSentence

Fwck no, I'd kill myself and burn the house down.

I am a complete DIY numpty.

But at least an honest one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024