Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
39 players used this season! 07:28 - Apr 20 with 1962 viewsKeaneish

That has to be a record for us, surely? I remember Burley saying that Robson only used 14 or 15 one season. Of course the game has moved on but 39 players is farcical if not desperate. On the back of the heaviest defeat of the season, we all know this season won't finish with any encouragement given we have Leeds and Sheff Utd coming up.

None of this bodes well for next season.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

39 players used this season! on 07:33 - Apr 20 with 1945 viewsthebooks

Always mildly amused/surprised/annoyed whenever I look at the programme and see the size of our squad compared to the other team. We're not the most... efficient team in this league.

I guess it's another symptom of the lack of investment. We buy very few quality players so churn through lots of mediocre ones in the hope one of them makes a difference. Been like this for ages; I'm sure recent seasons have been similar. You could say it's a real feature of the Evans era.

Not sure what signing Simon Dawkins achieved.
39 players used this season! on 09:43 - Apr 20 with 1829 viewsRadlett_blue

Could be. We used 34 players when we were relegated in 1994-95, which seemed like a huge number at the time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

39 players used this season! on 09:47 - Apr 20 with 1819 viewsSuperblue95

Pretty sure we used 42 or something close to it in the year Mick took over

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

39 players used this season! on 09:58 - Apr 20 with 1802 viewsHerbivore

39 players used this season! on 09:47 - Apr 20 by Superblue95

Pretty sure we used 42 or something close to it in the year Mick took over

30 of them were loanees.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

39 players used this season! on 10:01 - Apr 20 with 1792 viewsKeaneish

39 players used this season! on 07:33 - Apr 20 by thebooks

Always mildly amused/surprised/annoyed whenever I look at the programme and see the size of our squad compared to the other team. We're not the most... efficient team in this league.

I guess it's another symptom of the lack of investment. We buy very few quality players so churn through lots of mediocre ones in the hope one of them makes a difference. Been like this for ages; I'm sure recent seasons have been similar. You could say it's a real feature of the Evans era.

Or Callum Elder.

39 players used this season! on 10:07 - Apr 20 with 1776 viewsBogblue

39 players used this season! on 07:33 - Apr 20 by thebooks

It's down to crockery! more players in treatment room than on pitch it sometimes feels like
39 players used this season! on 10:09 - Apr 20 with 1769 viewsWestcountryblue

It really is poor.

We should of retained the core of last seasons squad, added in the right areas to build upon our 12th place finish and loaned out the likes of Dozzell, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Nydam, Mizouni for a season rather than throwing them into the lions pit.
39 players used this season! on 10:11 - Apr 20 with 1759 viewsHerbivore

39 players used this season! on 10:09 - Apr 20 by Westcountryblue

It really is poor.

We should of retained the core of last seasons squad, added in the right areas to build upon our 12th place finish and loaned out the likes of Dozzell, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Nydam, Mizouni for a season rather than throwing them into the lions pit.

Look at the teams that finished 10th to 15th last season and where they are this season if you really want to depress yourself.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

39 players used this season! on 10:18 - Apr 20 with 1742 viewsBogblue

39 players used this season! on 10:11 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

Look at the teams that finished 10th to 15th last season and where they are this season if you really want to depress yourself.

thanks!
39 players used this season! on 10:29 - Apr 20 with 1722 viewsWestcountryblue

39 players used this season! on 10:11 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

I think changes were made for sake of making change !

We underestimated the effect of selling good players like Garner, Waghorn, Webster etc...but also showed naivety when getting rid of good squad players like Bru, Connolly, Hyam, Carayol etc...

When you take half of your first team and most of the periphery away...what on earth did PH and ME expect to happen...
39 players used this season! on 10:59 - Apr 20 with 1669 viewsghostofescobar

This is one of the biggest reasons why we are unlikely to return at the first attempt. It will take a couple of years for the squad to settle down and to stop this ridiculous turnover of players

GhostOfEscobar

39 players used this season! on 11:11 - Apr 20 with 1641 viewsKeaneish

39 players used this season! on 10:59 - Apr 20 by ghostofescobar

This is one of the biggest reasons why we are unlikely to return at the first attempt. It will take a couple of years for the squad to settle down and to stop this ridiculous turnover of players

Our policy now seems to be the same as Sunderland utilised last season ie: nuture the academy and have a match day squad 50% academy and 50% experienced pros to retain and grow value within the club. It's fine as a strategy but the realities are different. Even Sunderland aren't guaranteed to bounce back first time with 4 games to go and they've had the luxury of two lots of of parachute payments all be it those are relative to their debt.

PL said judge the side after January, well, it's April and the upturn has been marginal. Without a good summer in the transfer market and a good pre-season, we're going to have a very slow start to next season in my view. Despite the upsurge in positivity, this hangover is going to leave us very groggy come August I reckon.

39 players used this season! on 11:23 - Apr 20 with 1620 viewsghostofescobar

39 players used this season! on 11:11 - Apr 20 by Keaneish

Our policy now seems to be the same as Sunderland utilised last season ie: nuture the academy and have a match day squad 50% academy and 50% experienced pros to retain and grow value within the club. It's fine as a strategy but the realities are different. Even Sunderland aren't guaranteed to bounce back first time with 4 games to go and they've had the luxury of two lots of of parachute payments all be it those are relative to their debt.

PL said judge the side after January, well, it's April and the upturn has been marginal. Without a good summer in the transfer market and a good pre-season, we're going to have a very slow start to next season in my view. Despite the upsurge in positivity, this hangover is going to leave us very groggy come August I reckon.

Agreed. I think 窶徂angover窶 is a good word to use. There窶冱 lots to untangle at the club. To change from the poor team we still are at the moment to one capable of getting promotion (albeit in a lower league) in the space of 3 to 4 months is a huge ask of any manager. The club needs investment and it isn窶冲 going to get it. So unless our kids perform way beyond their current level of performances next season, it窶冤l be a slog I think.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024