Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? 09:08 - Apr 23 with 1408 viewsRadlett_blue

4 of our best players allowed to leave, of whom McGoldrick has helled the Blunts to the brink of the PL, Webster & Waghorn have helped Bristol City & Derby to the edge of the play offs & Garner's 7 goals have helped Wigan stay in this league.
We've replaced them with a bunch of League 1 players who look, well, League one-ish.
Our 2 players who returned from the World Cup seemed to fall out with management.
Our loan players this season have been below the quality of last year's.
All in all, a pretty obvious recipe for disaster.
The only positive is that we should be vaguely competitive next season, as long as Lambert can come up with a system & players who are comfortable in it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:18 - Apr 23 with 1366 viewsFtnfwest

Couple of million off the wage bill and £11m ish in transfer fees, all into marcus’ pocket. Mcgoldrick was going at the end of his contract anyway and I certainly think we would have had the offer for Waghorn regardless. We didn’t replace them, that’s the issue and we went against the glorious 5 year plan in selling Webster which was poor judgement.
Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:19 - Apr 23 with 1351 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yep, that's all been done to death.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:20 - Apr 23 with 1348 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:18 - Apr 23 by Ftnfwest

Couple of million off the wage bill and £11m ish in transfer fees, all into marcus’ pocket. Mcgoldrick was going at the end of his contract anyway and I certainly think we would have had the offer for Waghorn regardless. We didn’t replace them, that’s the issue and we went against the glorious 5 year plan in selling Webster which was poor judgement.

I agree, Didzy was going, and I think getting rid of his ridiculous commute has helped his fitness.

Not sure we could have kept Waggy.

Webster and Garner were the more voluntary sales, and hit us hard.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:28 - Apr 23 with 1327 viewsDarth_Koont

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:18 - Apr 23 by Ftnfwest

We spent around 6 milion of that on fees ourselves. And not sure our wages ended up any lower as we signed more players than we sold or released. With the extra loan signings in January I'd guess we've now spent much more than even that increased budget.

The 5 point plan was working but Hurst (and presumably Evans) ripped it up once it had increased the value of the squad and gave us a transfer pot to change the approach.

That's been one of the issues with Evans's tenure. He's given Magilton, Keane, Jewell and Hurst money and each time we've gone backwards because we've ended up starting again rather than adding to what was already working.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:47 - Apr 23 with 1286 viewsFtnfwest

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:28 - Apr 23 by Darth_Koont

We spent around 6 milion of that on fees ourselves. And not sure our wages ended up any lower as we signed more players than we sold or released. With the extra loan signings in January I'd guess we've now spent much more than even that increased budget.

The 5 point plan was working but Hurst (and presumably Evans) ripped it up once it had increased the value of the squad and gave us a transfer pot to change the approach.

That's been one of the issues with Evans's tenure. He's given Magilton, Keane, Jewell and Hurst money and each time we've gone backwards because we've ended up starting again rather than adding to what was already working.

Yes we’ve frittered a good portion away but the margin still leaves Marcus not making the usual £6m loss in 2018/19 I expect. It was always frustrating about how giving Jim some money early on messed up what looked like a play off bound side on a shoestring. Oddly mirrored Burley’s last couple of years when he was given extra money to effectively put together a ‘plan B’ in the second year of being in the prem and failed.
Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:56 - Apr 23 with 1254 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Our 5 leading goalscorers from the previous season left:
Waghorn, Garner, McG, Celina & Connolly with the next leading goalscorer being Spence who has had the worst season of his career followed by Sears who has by default been our best attacking option this season..

So our 7th leading goalscorer of 17-18 is our leading attacking player in 18-19 which is about as stark as it can be to display how much we've traded down in 12 months.
Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:57 - Apr 23 with 1253 viewsitfcjoe

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:20 - Apr 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree, Didzy was going, and I think getting rid of his ridiculous commute has helped his fitness.

Not sure we could have kept Waggy.

Webster and Garner were the more voluntary sales, and hit us hard.

Waggy was the easiest to keep out of the 3 of them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 10:19 - Apr 23 with 1194 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 09:57 - Apr 23 by itfcjoe

Waggy was the easiest to keep out of the 3 of them

Not so sure.

He went to the biggest club of them all. Club with chance of promotion, big name manager, and big pay rise.

Login to get fewer ads

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 10:29 - Apr 23 with 1168 viewsitfcjoe

Not hard to see why we've gone down, is it? on 10:19 - Apr 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not so sure.

He went to the biggest club of them all. Club with chance of promotion, big name manager, and big pay rise.

He didn't want to leave though, he was happy here and got pushed out and meant we didn't even get the fee we initially wanted or were 'holding out for'. The money had already been spent in Hurst's head to bring in Nsiala and Nolan.

Once he got the Webster money and realised he could get some of his targets in he became a kid in a sweet shop.

Garner was a bit unfortunate, he wanted to go and we got a good replacement in jon Walters in for him but didn't wojk out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024