Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positive from yesterday 11:43 - Apr 28 with 1446 viewsDarth_Koont

Obviously there's the other side of this which is negative but I thought our younger players were our best players.

Downes and Bishop looked good when they were involved but there was little team structure going forward or anything up front to work with.

Then when Dozzell came on he showed in a few quick and accurate passes what we'd been missing before then. Contrast that with Chalobah's first time stabby lobs and lumps up the pitch that just gave the ball away.

Getting a structure and some solidity on the pitch (which will mean someone who can lead the line, Judge settling into a role and our defence taking charge of situations) would have made a big difference. Putting Skuse in as a sweeper helped with the defensive side of that so that was at least an interesting development.

Pronouns: He/Him

Positive from yesterday on 11:59 - Apr 28 with 1381 viewsFtnfwest

It should all stem from defence which is where we are far weaker than elsewhere. None of them really have the ability to be at least reasonably comfortable on the ball. If they were half decent then I think we have the midfield players who would be able to get in the game more. Even Jackson and Harrison (and certainly Freddie when he returns) would benefit. As we’ve been saying, need an experienced player in each of defence, midfield and attack and in fact probably two in defence, centre back to partner Woolfy and a right back
Positive from yesterday on 12:00 - Apr 28 with 1373 viewsstrikalite

Yesterday was where we actually needed the MM approach, and I was a Mick outer too, but Sheff did their homework on us and pressed very high knowing they'd win the ball back high up the pitch, when we did play we were only on the half way line....we should have gone long from the back and pushed the game up the pitch, there is a time and a place to do this, you can't always play a neat passing game from the back(unless you're City who have the players throughout their squad)...I suppose when Keane went off we had no target man, our lack of forward options is glaringly obvious which obviously limits what we can do, but even a long ball over the top gets us up the pitch at least..

As I say, there is a time and a place to do it..

Oh and on Chalobah, he seems to just head the ball anywhere, he did this many times again yesterday, no thought what so ever where to head it, incredible...
Positive from yesterday on 12:02 - Apr 28 with 1358 viewsSomethingBlue

Positive from yesterday on 11:59 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

It should all stem from defence which is where we are far weaker than elsewhere. None of them really have the ability to be at least reasonably comfortable on the ball. If they were half decent then I think we have the midfield players who would be able to get in the game more. Even Jackson and Harrison (and certainly Freddie when he returns) would benefit. As we’ve been saying, need an experienced player in each of defence, midfield and attack and in fact probably two in defence, centre back to partner Woolfy and a right back

Fair point although I'd say a striker who can hold the ball up is even more important. If you have one of those then you can play on the front foot, gamble on that run forwards, apply yourself with some momentum. When the ball keeps coming back at you then you are always going to be slowed down, even if you win the first challenge, unless the speed of your transitions to attack is absolutely outstanding.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Positive from yesterday on 12:08 - Apr 28 with 1340 viewsRegencyBlue

By the time Dozzell came on Sheffield already knew they had the game won so he had more room than he would normally get.

Dozzell is technically a good player but lacks physical presence to impose himself on games, as we last saw against Swansea. League 1 will not suit his game at all.

Bishop will be a big player for us next season if he can keep fit. Downes could be but reminds me a lot of Hyam, hopefully he will progress better than that.

If Evans is serious about getting out of League 1 though we are going to need much more than this!
Positive from yesterday on 12:13 - Apr 28 with 1315 viewsNo9

The main thing we learned yesterday is that Town need a complete new defence.
That must be the worst defensive play by any ITFC team for a very long while
Positive from yesterday on 13:05 - Apr 28 with 1183 viewsFtnfwest

Positive from yesterday on 12:02 - Apr 28 by SomethingBlue

Fair point although I'd say a striker who can hold the ball up is even more important. If you have one of those then you can play on the front foot, gamble on that run forwards, apply yourself with some momentum. When the ball keeps coming back at you then you are always going to be slowed down, even if you win the first challenge, unless the speed of your transitions to attack is absolutely outstanding.

Yep it’s undoubtedly a key requirement as well. I do feel though that if the pressure was at least eased by having a more competent defence it would give our midfield a bit of a chance to get into the game and I honestly think that the midfield is one area we have the potential with what we’ve got to be competitive next season. Probably need first and foremost a couple of defenders and a striker. I wait to see what we might get for Bart to pay for those and it won’t be much.
Positive from yesterday on 13:07 - Apr 28 with 1177 viewsFtnfwest

Positive from yesterday on 12:00 - Apr 28 by strikalite

Yesterday was where we actually needed the MM approach, and I was a Mick outer too, but Sheff did their homework on us and pressed very high knowing they'd win the ball back high up the pitch, when we did play we were only on the half way line....we should have gone long from the back and pushed the game up the pitch, there is a time and a place to do this, you can't always play a neat passing game from the back(unless you're City who have the players throughout their squad)...I suppose when Keane went off we had no target man, our lack of forward options is glaringly obvious which obviously limits what we can do, but even a long ball over the top gets us up the pitch at least..

As I say, there is a time and a place to do it..

Oh and on Chalobah, he seems to just head the ball anywhere, he did this many times again yesterday, no thought what so ever where to head it, incredible...

Yes Trevoh is a very competent header of the ball, but unfortunately he was heading it a long way away from the rest of our players on a couple of occasions which allowed them to break
Positive from yesterday on 13:26 - Apr 28 with 1148 viewspablovian

We were outclassed by a far better team. However, I observed a besieged team that played with a lot of spirit. It was far better than the lifeless performances that occurred during the late stages of the Hurst era. In addition, Bishop is bouncing back, and Nsiala, Kenlock and Downes are improving steadily.

I doubt that we will gain automatic promotion next season (Rotherham may yo-yo back in one of the two automatic spots ...) However, if we avoid yet another plague of injuries we should be able to make the play-offs.
Login to get fewer ads

Positive from yesterday on 15:58 - Apr 28 with 1006 viewsDarth_Koont

Positive from yesterday on 12:02 - Apr 28 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely. We were crying out for someone like Didzy to get on to the ball and bring in players around him. That's an area where Judge needs to improve as he tends to go for something ambitious rather than letting his teammates get into the game.

So it doesn't even have to be a big no.9 style of player just someone who lets us get a foothold further up the pitch.

Might be unpopular but I think we missed Quaner yesterday. He's by no means perfect but currently the best option we have for keeping the ball higher up the field.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024