Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The world is fooked 08:53 - Jun 17 with 19098 viewsHerbivore

Being realistic about it, Boris is going to be our next PM. The Tory party see him as, somehow, being someone who can win elections against the Labour party and have decided that this is clearly more important than resolving Brexit in a way that doesn’t destroy the country and indeed more important than what is best for the country in general. Concerns about his lack of competence and integrity have been pushed aside in the interests of preserving the Conservative Party and their grip on power. Standard, but depressing nonetheless.

More broadly, though, is there anything more indicative of how badly we’re fooked as a society than Boris and Trump coming to power? Neither man is remotely capable of the job they have been tasked with, both are where they are solely on the back of white male privilege and nothing more. They are the definition of the triumph of elitism over meritocracy.

Let’s start with Trump. The man is a thick bigot, the most fragile egotist imaginable. The Trump blimp triggered him so badly precisely because it was so accurate. He pitches himself as a successful businessman who knows how to get deals done, someone who is not part of the establishment and who has been a huge success. Bigly successful. And yet, if he’d simply put the vast wealth he inherited from his father into a savings account he would be wealthier than he is now. He has failed as a businessman many times over and any mitigating success has come solely because his vast inherited wealth has enabled him to try and try again. His one selling point is based on smoke and mirrors.

He has managed to ride a wave of mainly white working-class discontent through carefully managed populist rhetoric that is as dangerous as it is vacuous. His litany of misdemeanours would make him unemployable if he came from any other background, yet pure wealth and privilege has enabled him to bankroll his way to power. If his followers really feel that white males are being marginalised by liberalism, they need only look at the fact that Trump is in power as proof that this is not remotely the case.

As for Boris, the man is simply a nasty, power-hungry incompetent. Born to wealth and privilege, from very early on his character was marked by seeking power at all costs. Even at Eton and Oxford he was more concerned with gaining power and notoriety than actually excelling as a student, and he was willing to do whatever was needed to get there. Sounds familiar? As a journalist he was sacked for falsifying a quote, a journalistic offence so egregious that it would usually spell the end of a career. Yet Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has been given chance after chance, purely because of his name and privilege rather than his talent.

As an MP he has held one cabinet position and was an abject failure. Not only did he fail to achieve anything at all of note, numerous reports suggest that he was simply unfit for the role; frequently he was not well-briefed, not interested in detail, and seemingly uninterested when attending important meetings. That’s without even considering that he endangered the life of a UK citizen through his own lazy carelessness when talking about why she was in Iran. He still refuses to take any responsibility for that, despite it once again being such an horrendous error that it would cost most people their job, let alone somehow pave the way for them to hold an even more responsible job. All this before we even consider the overt racist remarks, the dog-whistling, the general question marks over his poor character and total lack of any principles (writing two articles backing both remain and leave, anyone?).

Sorry for the lengthy rant, but it really boils my piss that we have these snake oil salesman in positions of power. They are where they are not because of any talent they have, not because they are the best men for the job, not because they have a positive vision for their countries. They are where they are because of wealth and privilege, nothing more. Their sole focus in on maintaining their privilege and on preserving a system that rewards such privilege.

The worst of it is that they are doing so by exploiting unrest amongst the working classes, unrest caused by the kind of social and economic inequalities that they and their cronies are responsible for. And they know this, yet they point the finger at other disadvantaged groups and lay the blame at their door. It’s easy to do, it plays on a base instinct in people to blame the ‘other’ rather than someone that looks like them and speaks their language (in more ways than one). They are backed by the wealthy and powerful in the media who share their overriding agenda to preserve the dominance of wealthy elites, and this simply makes the power train an irresistible force with no immovable object available at our disposal to oppose it.

All thoroughly depressing, really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The world is fooked on 08:50 - Jun 18 with 1561 viewsWeWereZombies

The world is fooked on 08:22 - Jun 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

"How does the EU with its Euro area and non Euro areas ........."

We are all members of the European Union, adopting the Euro as currency does not exclude you from the trading and social environment. This desire to divide people up rather than allow them free movement is a bit poignant for me at the moment as I have an American friend who is stuck in Hungary because the Home Office will not allow her back into the United Kingdom (where she has a home). For some reason she has to go to Romania for three months every once in a while. And ever since I learned of her plight I keep on meeting people who have to fill out pages and pages of forms every couple of years or who are under threat of not being allowed back in if they leave. I know 'Fortress Europe' is just as bad as 'Fortress United Kingdom' but at least it gives freedoms over a wider area. Your post may have may more sense if you had attacked the Schengen Agreement rather than the Eurozone.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The world is fooked on 09:50 - Jun 18 with 1534 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 08:50 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

We are all members of the European Union, adopting the Euro as currency does not exclude you from the trading and social environment. This desire to divide people up rather than allow them free movement is a bit poignant for me at the moment as I have an American friend who is stuck in Hungary because the Home Office will not allow her back into the United Kingdom (where she has a home). For some reason she has to go to Romania for three months every once in a while. And ever since I learned of her plight I keep on meeting people who have to fill out pages and pages of forms every couple of years or who are under threat of not being allowed back in if they leave. I know 'Fortress Europe' is just as bad as 'Fortress United Kingdom' but at least it gives freedoms over a wider area. Your post may have may more sense if you had attacked the Schengen Agreement rather than the Eurozone.

I have no issue with freedom of movement....having a 2 tier Euro/non Euro creates disparities of economic advantage within the block such that the loss of jobs from France to Hungary is cited by the gillet-jeune movement as motivating them against Macron and the EU.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The world is fooked on 10:08 - Jun 18 with 1520 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 09:50 - Jun 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have no issue with freedom of movement....having a 2 tier Euro/non Euro creates disparities of economic advantage within the block such that the loss of jobs from France to Hungary is cited by the gillet-jeune movement as motivating them against Macron and the EU.

How is the EU responsible for private companies moving production to a country where costs are cheaper?

The world is fooked on 11:06 - Jun 18 with 1496 viewsWeWereZombies

The world is fooked on 09:50 - Jun 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have to agree with Herbie, I think labour costs and their relation to the currency a nation uses if anything weighs against Hungary because a French company that moves production there will have to consider Forint hedging (try looking up what shape leaves that is).

It is always tragic when a company relocates a production plant and jobs that have sometimes been in families for many decades are lost. It has a knock on effect on communities, on local suppliers and on the traders who provide the goods and services that workers buy. However, moving within the European Union does at least guarantee some worker's rights and give an opportunity for employees to transfer without so many barriers to the opportunity. Still an upheaval though, that much is true.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 11:20]

The world is fooked on 12:58 - Jun 18 with 1458 viewsbluebud

Anyone who uses "Fooked" in the headline of a seemingly heartfelt post deserves to be ignored - not taking it seriously was obviously a given.
The world is fooked on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 1455 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 12:58 - Jun 18 by bluebud

Anyone who uses "Fooked" in the headline of a seemingly heartfelt post deserves to be ignored - not taking it seriously was obviously a given.

Thanks for your input, friend. It was utterly vacuous but at least you managed to type some words, so good for you. FYI there's a swear filter on here otherwise I'd have used a different, but similar, word.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 13:22]

The world is fooked on 13:22 - Jun 18 with 1438 viewsbluebud

The world is fooked on 13:01 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Thanks for your input, friend. It was utterly vacuous but at least you managed to type some words, so good for you. FYI there's a swear filter on here otherwise I'd have used a different, but similar, word.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 13:22]

No problem.

The world is in peril.

We are nearing end of days.

How far the apocalypse?

Challenging times ahead.

FYI, swearing isn't actually necessary, at all....I mean in the playground at school it was cool for a while.

You use 'utterly vacuous' a lot in your posts - obviously it makes you feel superior to others and of course that's why you use it to try and demean them - problem is...that's how all your content comes across anyway :-)

Let me know if you need any more input or help.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 13:25]
The world is fooked on 13:27 - Jun 18 with 1424 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 13:22 - Jun 18 by bluebud

No problem.

The world is in peril.

We are nearing end of days.

How far the apocalypse?

Challenging times ahead.

FYI, swearing isn't actually necessary, at all....I mean in the playground at school it was cool for a while.

You use 'utterly vacuous' a lot in your posts - obviously it makes you feel superior to others and of course that's why you use it to try and demean them - problem is...that's how all your content comes across anyway :-)

Let me know if you need any more input or help.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 13:25]

I think I can do without your input thanks. You add nothing of value. Literally nothing.

Login to get fewer ads

The world is fooked on 13:30 - Jun 18 with 1423 viewsbluebud

The world is fooked on 13:27 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

I think I can do without your input thanks. You add nothing of value. Literally nothing.

..if that's actually true....why did you feel the need to respond to all of my posts?
The world is fooked on 13:30 - Jun 18 with 1422 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 13:30 - Jun 18 by bluebud

..if that's actually true....why did you feel the need to respond to all of my posts?

Politeness.

The world is fooked on 13:38 - Jun 18 with 1402 viewsbluebud

The world is fooked on 13:30 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Politeness.

Lol.....nobody is buying that :-)

Fact is, you invite debate but are only after people who agree with you and very happy to bully, name call and denigrate everyone else.
The world is fooked on 13:45 - Jun 18 with 1393 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 13:38 - Jun 18 by bluebud

Lol.....nobody is buying that :-)

Fact is, you invite debate but are only after people who agree with you and very happy to bully, name call and denigrate everyone else.

Sorry, what have you added to the debate? Your only posts on this thread have been having a pop at me, nothing to do with the content of the thread. I've been happy to debate with anyone actually interested in contributing to the debate, but you have no interest in doing so.

The world is fooked on 13:54 - Jun 18 with 1380 viewsbluebud

The world is fooked on 13:45 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Sorry, what have you added to the debate? Your only posts on this thread have been having a pop at me, nothing to do with the content of the thread. I've been happy to debate with anyone actually interested in contributing to the debate, but you have no interest in doing so.

And that's it there mate.

I slated the content and style of it - you instantly took it personally and started on me - your lack of self awareness is your weakness.
The world is fooked on 13:57 - Jun 18 with 1374 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 13:54 - Jun 18 by bluebud

And that's it there mate.

I slated the content and style of it - you instantly took it personally and started on me - your lack of self awareness is your weakness.

You made no contribution, you made a snide remark about the thread title and said you'd ignored the content as a result. That is not adding to the debate. Take a look at yourself, pal. Pretty sure you're yet another troll. Shame some of you feel the need to ruin the board.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 14:02]

The world is fooked on 14:05 - Jun 18 with 1360 viewsGlasgowBlue

The world is fooked on 13:27 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The world is fooked on 14:43 - Jun 18 with 1326 viewsfooters

The world is fooked on 13:57 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

You made no contribution, you made a snide remark about the thread title and said you'd ignored the content as a result. That is not adding to the debate. Take a look at yourself, pal. Pretty sure you're yet another troll. Shame some of you feel the need to ruin the board.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 14:02]

I've got to say that this was one odd argument.

What the hell was it about?

Cheer up, peeps :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The world is fooked on 14:47 - Jun 18 with 1318 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 14:43 - Jun 18 by footers

I've got to say that this was one odd argument.

What the hell was it about?

Cheer up, peeps :)

I called him out on his behaviour of wading into a thread to have a pop rather than to contribute to the debate. He didn't like being called out so doubled down. I continued to call him out. He ran off. Another troll popped up in his place. Not much more to it than that.

The world is fooked on 14:48 - Jun 18 with 1319 viewsSpruceMoose

The world is fooked on 12:58 - Jun 18 by bluebud

Didn't take long for a new wave of posters to turn up on the forum with their only intention being to derail threads and start arguments.

This place is pretty unusable some days. I'm done with it for the morning.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 18:09]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The world is fooked on 14:56 - Jun 18 with 1306 viewsfooters

The world is fooked on 14:47 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

I called him out on his behaviour of wading into a thread to have a pop rather than to contribute to the debate. He didn't like being called out so doubled down. I continued to call him out. He ran off. Another troll popped up in his place. Not much more to it than that.

Well, so long as no one is hurt, that's the main thing.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The world is fooked on 14:59 - Jun 18 with 1303 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 14:56 - Jun 18 by footers

Well, so long as no one is hurt, that's the main thing.

I think his feelings may have been slightly bruised by being called out on his behaviour but I'm sure he'll get over it.

The world is fooked on 15:01 - Jun 18 with 1302 viewsWeWereZombies

The world is fooked on 14:47 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Glassers can be a little single minded, and the use of a photo rather than contributing is beginning to look like he actually agrees with you or No9 but cannot actually bring himself to say so. But I would not class him a troll, I always feel that he is adamant in what he says.

The world is fooked on 15:07 - Jun 18 with 1289 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 15:01 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

Glassers can be a little single minded, and the use of a photo rather than contributing is beginning to look like he actually agrees with you or No9 but cannot actually bring himself to say so. But I would not class him a troll, I always feel that he is adamant in what he says.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I'm afraid.

I'm hoping BDS will be back on at some point so proper debate can resume after this little sideshow.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 15:21]

The world is fooked on 18:02 - Jun 18 with 1238 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 10:08 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

How is the EU responsible for private companies moving production to a country where costs are cheaper?

The Euro....Greece.....competitive advantage gone.

The world is fooked on 18:05 - Jun 18 with 1233 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 18:02 - Jun 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

The Euro....Greece.....competitive advantage gone.

That's just a seemingly random string of words.

The world is fooked on 18:16 - Jun 18 with 1218 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 18:05 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

That's just a seemingly random string of words.

While you are correct that private companies will never act in the interests of the wider public the EU is establishing the framework in which they operate. The Euro imho is a monumental own goal, Greece should certainly never have been encouraged to sign up and had lost potential competitive advantage because of it.
It is true that the EU is disproportionately copping the anti globalism flack.....however they, like many others, aren't exactly falling over themselves to encourage debate about a new way forward.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024