Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many wickets will England win by? 13:51 - Jun 21 with 6472 viewsCoastalblue

At risk of completely cursing them I'm going for 7.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How many wickets will England win by? on 17:59 - Jun 21 with 1503 viewsSteve_M

How many wickets will England win by? on 17:34 - Jun 21 by Reuser_is_God

Fair play to Sri Lanka.

They've played well but England have completely failed to play according to the match situation.

Not qualifying for the semi-finals in this tournament format will be some achievement. It'll take two wins from the next three I think now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:07 - Jun 21 with 1492 viewsSteve_M

Stokes has changed the mood!

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:10 - Jun 21 with 1485 viewschristiand

This is exactly the type of game which shows we won’t be World Champions, the top sides would find a way to win this. When the going gets tough, we crumble. Flat track bullies we’re the world’s best. Poor result.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:12 - Jun 21 with 1473 viewsSteve_M

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:07 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

Stokes has changed the mood!

But let down by his teammates.

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:13 - Jun 21 with 1476 viewsReuser_is_God

How many wickets will England win by? on 17:59 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

They've played well but England have completely failed to play according to the match situation.

Not qualifying for the semi-finals in this tournament format will be some achievement. It'll take two wins from the next three I think now.

Yeah agreed tough games now which we need 2 wins from.

Hopefully this acts as a wake up call.

EDIT: Sri Lanka also have good recent history at Headingley.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 18:16]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:18 - Jun 21 with 1465 viewsReuser_is_God

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:10 - Jun 21 by christiand

This is exactly the type of game which shows we won’t be World Champions, the top sides would find a way to win this. When the going gets tough, we crumble. Flat track bullies we’re the world’s best. Poor result.

A slight overreaction.

Evans out

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:20 - Jun 21 with 1458 viewschristiand

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:18 - Jun 21 by Reuser_is_God

A slight overreaction.

Not at all, that’s nail on the head summary my friend. They just don’t play smart cricket when under the pump.

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:22 - Jun 21 with 1452 viewsbournemouthblue

What a disastrous post this has proved to be

Losing several wickets when we were just three down looks like the killer?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:25 - Jun 21 with 1443 viewsjas0999

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:18 - Jun 21 by Reuser_is_God

A slight overreaction.

Is it? This was a poor showing from the tournament favourites. May struggle to make the semi finals now, as the remaining games are tougher.
How many wickets will England win by? on 18:25 - Jun 21 with 1442 viewsReuser_is_God

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:20 - Jun 21 by christiand

Not at all, that’s nail on the head summary my friend. They just don’t play smart cricket when under the pump.

You’ll look a bit silly if we turn up & win 2 of the next 3.

Evans out

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:26 - Jun 21 with 1441 viewsReuser_is_God

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:25 - Jun 21 by jas0999

Is it? This was a poor showing from the tournament favourites. May struggle to make the semi finals now, as the remaining games are tougher.

Yeah, we’ll make the semis.

Evans out

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:31 - Jun 21 with 1438 viewschristiand

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:25 - Jun 21 by Reuser_is_God

You’ll look a bit silly if we turn up & win 2 of the next 3.

The good thing about this team is they do bounce back after a shocker and let’s be honest they’ve got the 3 best teams still to play. It’s about learning from today, but my concern is on a slow pitch this is a common outcome for them. They’ve got India at Edgbaston that could be another pitch like today. This result has opened up the group!

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:32 - Jun 21 with 1435 viewsbournemouthblue

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:25 - Jun 21 by jas0999

On the plus side we have a good record against New Zealand and Australia in recent years although games at a World Cup are always more challenging

The rankings are a bit of a red herring because teams often leave out their gun bowlers for ODI series

I think India are actually the best side and certainly know how to win tournaments

England need to look at James Vince, either Ali or Rashid are vulnerable as well

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:34 - Jun 21 with 1431 viewschristiand

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:32 - Jun 21 by bournemouthblue

On the plus side we have a good record against New Zealand and Australia in recent years although games at a World Cup are always more challenging

The rankings are a bit of a red herring because teams often leave out their gun bowlers for ODI series

I think India are actually the best side and certainly know how to win tournaments

England need to look at James Vince, either Ali or Rashid are vulnerable as well

I agree, India look a terrific side and well balanced with The Aussies and NZ just behind them. I do think England are behind those 3 sides.

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:36 - Jun 21 with 1431 viewsSteve_M

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:31 - Jun 21 by christiand

The good thing about this team is they do bounce back after a shocker and let’s be honest they’ve got the 3 best teams still to play. It’s about learning from today, but my concern is on a slow pitch this is a common outcome for them. They’ve got India at Edgbaston that could be another pitch like today. This result has opened up the group!

You were over the top describing England as fiat track bullies, the form over the last few years is far better than that. I do agree with you on the failure to adapt to slower pitches though.

I think there's also a lack of tournament nous here too, Australia manage to be crap for years and then get it together before nearly every tournament. That's annoying.

Also, what might help England now is that there isn't a standout fifth team in this tournament really putting pressure on up four, not yet anyway. Two poor defeats though, both careless however well the opposition played.

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:46 - Jun 21 with 1422 viewschristiand

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:36 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

You were over the top describing England as fiat track bullies, the form over the last few years is far better than that. I do agree with you on the failure to adapt to slower pitches though.

I think there's also a lack of tournament nous here too, Australia manage to be crap for years and then get it together before nearly every tournament. That's annoying.

Also, what might help England now is that there isn't a standout fifth team in this tournament really putting pressure on up four, not yet anyway. Two poor defeats though, both careless however well the opposition played.

To me Steve, they just don’t adapt to the match situation. Our mentality is just to keep hitting, that’s just clueless cricket. Ali today, hits a 6 then tries it again, just daft!! The difference between us, India and the Aussies is they adapt, we simple don’t. We’ve got one way of playing and that’s why we’ll come up short, especially on pitches that have already been used.

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:54 - Jun 21 with 1420 viewsReuser_is_God

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:46 - Jun 21 by christiand

To me Steve, they just don’t adapt to the match situation. Our mentality is just to keep hitting, that’s just clueless cricket. Ali today, hits a 6 then tries it again, just daft!! The difference between us, India and the Aussies is they adapt, we simple don’t. We’ve got one way of playing and that’s why we’ll come up short, especially on pitches that have already been used.

I think we generally do adapt to the match situation.

Take Monday for example, Afghanistan bowled well first 10 so we sat in then took advantage when their standard slipped.

Today was more an outlier than the norm in my opinion.

Evans out

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:58 - Jun 21 with 1412 viewschristiand

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:54 - Jun 21 by Reuser_is_God

I think we generally do adapt to the match situation.

Take Monday for example, Afghanistan bowled well first 10 so we sat in then took advantage when their standard slipped.

Today was more an outlier than the norm in my opinion.

Respect your opinion Reuser, however this side has shown on slow pitches or two paced ones we don’t and we come unstuck. That’s the difference, India and The Aussies play smart cricket when it’s needed in different conditions. Both those sides would have found a way to get over the line today at 140-4. You could see it unravelling for us at that point.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 19:07]

How many wickets will England win by? on 19:51 - Jun 21 with 1372 viewsCoastalblue

I promise not to make any more of these threads.

Agree with a lot of what has been said, all we had to do was move the ball around for singles, not get out and see off the slinga. No need to go chasing balls or boundaries with a target like that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How many wickets will England win by? on 20:32 - Jun 21 with 1357 viewsgainsboroughblue

To me, there was a massive difference in optimism as far as I was concerned from it being 128-3, then 128-4 when Root was out. Panic set in, inability to play to conditions came in to play and self-destruct mode won out.

I hope Roy is fit to come in as Vince is just not international quality unfortunately. Moeen is fine hitting out when setting a target but woeful in a chase scenario.

I'm hoping that is our 'shocker' out of the way for the event but missing out on the top 4 with our fixtures remaining is very plausible and that would be massively embarrassing considering the pre-tournament hype.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

How many wickets will England win by? on 20:45 - Jun 21 with 1350 viewsvilanovablue

How many wickets will England win by? on 19:51 - Jun 21 by Coastalblue

I promise not to make any more of these threads.

Agree with a lot of what has been said, all we had to do was move the ball around for singles, not get out and see off the slinga. No need to go chasing balls or boundaries with a target like that.

It was poor game management if we'd had even spare wickets at the end the game was won. Stokes I felt was let down by the side with the game winnable. Hopefully we learn from this.
How many wickets will England win by? on 20:57 - Jun 21 with 1342 viewsAce_High1

How many wickets will England win by? on 20:32 - Jun 21 by gainsboroughblue

To me, there was a massive difference in optimism as far as I was concerned from it being 128-3, then 128-4 when Root was out. Panic set in, inability to play to conditions came in to play and self-destruct mode won out.

I hope Roy is fit to come in as Vince is just not international quality unfortunately. Moeen is fine hitting out when setting a target but woeful in a chase scenario.

I'm hoping that is our 'shocker' out of the way for the event but missing out on the top 4 with our fixtures remaining is very plausible and that would be massively embarrassing considering the pre-tournament hype.

I think these type of performances are why we ultimately will not win the tournament. The likes of Australia, India and NZ would get over the line.

We have had two poor performances against Pakistan and then today so it will be tight to get through.
How many wickets will England win by? on 21:11 - Jun 21 with 1334 viewsgainsboroughblue

How many wickets will England win by? on 20:57 - Jun 21 by Ace_High1

I think these type of performances are why we ultimately will not win the tournament. The likes of Australia, India and NZ would get over the line.

We have had two poor performances against Pakistan and then today so it will be tight to get through.

If we did miss out on the top four, it would be a bigger embarrassment than when we last held the World Cup here in 1999, when we lost out to Zimbabwe in getting through our group, and before the official world cup song was released.

Of course, that 99 World Cup was beyond abject but we've been accustomed to a decent ODI side for a few years now and this ultimately has been what we've been working towards.

I suspect we'll win one of our last three games but it looks a lot tighter than it did this morning when Sri Lanka were 3 for 2....sigh.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

How many wickets will England win by? on 21:12 - Jun 21 with 1333 viewsPJH

How many wickets will England win by? on 18:34 - Jun 21 by christiand

I agree, India look a terrific side and well balanced with The Aussies and NZ just behind them. I do think England are behind those 3 sides.

With the games left to play England are certainly the most vulnerable regarding a top four place.
It could possibly depend on the SL v IND match and that in turn depending on how bothered India are on the day.
How many wickets will England win by? on 22:57 - Jun 21 with 1288 viewscaught-in-limbo

England will qualify for the semis even if we win only one of our remaining matches.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2019 22:56]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024