Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bizzare post 18:43 - Jun 28 with 1701 viewsTerra_Farma

We have a starling (I think) that has managed to get it's self trapped in the chimney flue and is lodged behind the gas fire.

It's been there randomly chirping away since 9pm last night.

Any suggestions (all suggestions are welcomed)
Bizzare post on 18:48 - Jun 28 with 1669 viewsfooters

Kill it.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bizzare post on 19:04 - Jun 28 with 1641 viewsjeera

I'd be tempted to call in an expert, although we now live in post-expert times I realise.

I wouldn't want it to suffer nor do you want rotting bird in close proximity either really.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bizzare post on 19:13 - Jun 28 with 1620 viewsHARRY10

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47772902
Bizzare post on 19:23 - Jun 28 with 1601 viewsTerra_Farma

Bizzare post on 19:04 - Jun 28 by jeera

I'd be tempted to call in an expert, although we now live in post-expert times I realise.

I wouldn't want it to suffer nor do you want rotting bird in close proximity either really.

I can't (particularly in this heat) bring myself to put on the gas fire to accelerate it's certain demise.

Regardless, i'm guessing it's going smell either way.

It keeps chirping, and it's slowly becoming more of a chirp.

Just wish it was a canary.
Bizzare post on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 1553 viewsGeoffSentence

This happens to us all the time. I got bitten by one of the little fwckers a couple of days ago.

I leave the woodburner door open until it flies out, and I leave a window open so it can fly straight out. But they never do they just fly into the window and repeatedly bang their heads. I deal with this by wrapping the curtain round them then when they have calmed down a bit I grasp them and pop them out of the open window. Little b'stard the other day did not appreciate what I was doing for him and the cwnt bit me.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bizzare post on 22:00 - Jun 28 with 1468 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bizzare post on 20:29 - Jun 28 by GeoffSentence

This happens to us all the time. I got bitten by one of the little fwckers a couple of days ago.

I leave the woodburner door open until it flies out, and I leave a window open so it can fly straight out. But they never do they just fly into the window and repeatedly bang their heads. I deal with this by wrapping the curtain round them then when they have calmed down a bit I grasp them and pop them out of the open window. Little b'stard the other day did not appreciate what I was doing for him and the cwnt bit me.

This^. Unless you’ve got a liner and it’s outside of it, in which case you’re fecked (or rather it is, unless you fancy dismantling your chimney breast). My folks had one trapped outside of the liner a few years back and my mum insisted my dad knock a hole in the chimney breast to let it out. No idea how that worked out for the bird, but my old man was not impressed!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bizzare post on 22:52 - Jun 28 with 1412 viewslongtimefan

This used to happen in my previous house. Fortunately I could ease the gas fire forward and get access to the flue. If you can release it this way the trick to getting it out of the room is make it as dark as possible by pulling all the curtains in the room, bar one for the open window. The bird will instinctively fly towards light. It’s worked every time I’ve had to try it.
Bizzare post on 23:26 - Jun 28 with 1388 viewsRyorry

If it's actually stuck fast & can't go up or down, it's doomed unless you can shove something up or down to gently shift it.

Called the RSPCA a couple of decades ago about such a situation; they refused to even visit

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Bizzare post on 23:39 - Jun 28 with 1381 viewsTerra_Farma

Bizzare post on 22:52 - Jun 28 by longtimefan

This used to happen in my previous house. Fortunately I could ease the gas fire forward and get access to the flue. If you can release it this way the trick to getting it out of the room is make it as dark as possible by pulling all the curtains in the room, bar one for the open window. The bird will instinctively fly towards light. It’s worked every time I’ve had to try it.

Unfortunately, the gas fire is fixed, which means getting the gas woman in to turn it off, before even thinking about moving the unit out.

The bird is quiet now but trust me at 0440 hrs it will start chirping again.

I have even "googled", how long can a bird survive without food or water.
Bizzare post on 23:57 - Jun 28 with 1366 viewsjeera

Bizzare post on 23:39 - Jun 28 by Terra_Farma

Unfortunately, the gas fire is fixed, which means getting the gas woman in to turn it off, before even thinking about moving the unit out.

The bird is quiet now but trust me at 0440 hrs it will start chirping again.

I have even "googled", how long can a bird survive without food or water.

Not a brick surround where you could remove a brick or 2?

It's obvious you're not happy about it, but what to suggest...

I'd be the same, I know.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bizzare post on 12:28 - Jun 29 with 1285 viewsTerra_Farma

Bizzare post on 23:57 - Jun 28 by jeera

Not a brick surround where you could remove a brick or 2?

It's obvious you're not happy about it, but what to suggest...

I'd be the same, I know.

That wouldn't be practical unfortunately Jeera.

I heard the poor little thing this morning but not heard a peep from it since.

Don't think it will last long in this heat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024