Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1 down, 45 to go... 20:25 - Aug 3 with 1278 viewsclive_baker

Great result, away from home to a side that will be strong enough this season.

Really encouraging to see Huws and Judge back off the bench too, the sooner we can get those 2 match fit the better. People have likened Norwood to Garner but that’s an insult to Norwood, he’s class and will score goals. Not to mention seems to have exactly the right attitude, a real winning mentality and is street wise enough to kick us on a level.

Downes is maturing as a player and looks every bit capable of being one of the best central midfielders in the division, Garbutt looks very to tidy on the ball (I wonder if he’ll end up at LB once Judge is fit?). Rowe could be like a new signing, direct, quick, can create and full of confidence off the back of a promotion campaign.

Young Woolfenden was solid and has always impressed me. I think he’s got a good future at this level and a more than capable challenger to Chambers and Nsiala when fit.

When you look at the players that are still to return too, such as Nolan, Dozzell, Chambers, Nsiala, Sears, Bishop, Edwards etc we could almost field a 2nd side stronger than today’s.

We still very much need to strengthen at full back. Donacien I’m afraid isn’t good enough. He’s been an enigma to me but today the penny dropped, he’s just not a very good footballer. I wonder if we’ll see Chambers back at right back at some stage? As it stands our full backs will cost us points this season, I’ve got no doubt about that.

Holy...looked to command his box reasonably well in the 1st half, but a couple of nervy moments in the 2nd didn’t fill me with confidence. A missed cross followed by the back pass, very nearly cost us the points and without being overly critical he looked every bit a keeper that shipped 70 goals at this level last season. I think it’s only a matter of time before Norris takes the jersey off him.

All in all a good day at the office. We need to be single minded and absolutely obsessive about winning every match we play this season. Lambert is spot on, we don’t have a right to win promotion we have to earn it, and we showed today we’re ready for that fight. It’ll be a long season and we will lose games, but I think it’s going to be some journey.

COYB.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:05 - Aug 3 with 1192 viewsDarth_Koont

Agree with almost all of that.

Norwood can do Garner's job but a lot more movement and a bit of pace too. He looks a very complete centre forward who can play back to goal or on the shoulder equally well. Might struggle a bit more against more rounded Championship defenders but at this level he looks fantastic.

Fullbacks look an issue. Donacien had a rotten first half with or without the ball but grew into the game and handled the right side pretty well after that. But I was more worried about Kenlock ... even with Garbutt back and helping him he seemed to give away a dangerous free kick every time he was pressured. We know he can be an asset going forward but he needs to be a lot more comfortable defending. Hopefully both Donacien and Kenlock can show the better sides of their game next Saturday.

But overall a good, solid performance in what could have been a tricky game. Apart from the keeper scare and the goal-line clearance at the end we looked surprisingly comfortable. And despite Burton having most of the ball we looked much more dangerous than them whenever we came forward.

Onwards and upwards!

Pronouns: He/Him

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:10 - Aug 3 with 1184 viewsDarth_Koont

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:05 - Aug 3 by Darth_Koont

Agree with almost all of that.

Norwood can do Garner's job but a lot more movement and a bit of pace too. He looks a very complete centre forward who can play back to goal or on the shoulder equally well. Might struggle a bit more against more rounded Championship defenders but at this level he looks fantastic.

Fullbacks look an issue. Donacien had a rotten first half with or without the ball but grew into the game and handled the right side pretty well after that. But I was more worried about Kenlock ... even with Garbutt back and helping him he seemed to give away a dangerous free kick every time he was pressured. We know he can be an asset going forward but he needs to be a lot more comfortable defending. Hopefully both Donacien and Kenlock can show the better sides of their game next Saturday.

But overall a good, solid performance in what could have been a tricky game. Apart from the keeper scare and the goal-line clearance at the end we looked surprisingly comfortable. And despite Burton having most of the ball we looked much more dangerous than them whenever we came forward.

Onwards and upwards!

Oh yes and Holy's distribution was excellent. He's got an absolute cannon that pushes the whole opposition backline almost to the edge of their own box or he can just bowl it out to one of our fullbacks or midfielders in the resulting space.

I don't think we've been as effective at playing the ball from the back since Kelvin Davis was here.

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:12 - Aug 3 with 1153 viewsIllinoisblue

Little harsh on Donacien there; thought he was decent today.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:12 - Aug 3 with 1150 viewsartsbossbeard

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:10 - Aug 3 by Darth_Koont

Oh yes and Holy's distribution was excellent. He's got an absolute cannon that pushes the whole opposition backline almost to the edge of their own box or he can just bowl it out to one of our fullbacks or midfielders in the resulting space.

I don't think we've been as effective at playing the ball from the back since Kelvin Davis was here.

I have it on good authority from an afc Wimbledon fan that he has witnessed Holy clearing the other crossbar from a kick out of his hands.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:18 - Aug 3 with 1114 viewsDarth_Koont

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:12 - Aug 3 by artsbossbeard

I have it on good authority from an afc Wimbledon fan that he has witnessed Holy clearing the other crossbar from a kick out of his hands.

Wouldn't surprise me. Today, he hit a goal kick off the deck from his 6-yard area that landed no more than 10 yards from their box. He's an absolute beast.

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:26 - Aug 3 with 1043 viewsKeaneish

Have to agree on the Donacien point. Thought the same last week at Cambridge. He's very limited going forward and looks off the pace at the mo. We need better.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:31 - Aug 3 with 1011 viewsartsbossbeard

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:26 - Aug 3 by Keaneish

Have to agree on the Donacien point. Thought the same last week at Cambridge. He's very limited going forward and looks off the pace at the mo. We need better.

Dodgy first 20 and then quality for the rest of the game.

You'd have hated it, the town fans even had a song for him.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:42 - Aug 3 with 950 viewsclive_baker

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:31 - Aug 3 by artsbossbeard

Dodgy first 20 and then quality for the rest of the game.

You'd have hated it, the town fans even had a song for him.

‘Quality’? Feck me! He’s pony

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:45 - Aug 3 with 929 viewsartsbossbeard

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:42 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

‘Quality’? Feck me! He’s pony

Nah, he's fine.

1 down, 45 to go... on 22:05 - Aug 3 with 864 viewsLanky

Donacien had a ropey start but defended pretty solidly thereafter. I think he's capable enough defensively but offers very little going forward. Looks lost down the wing.
1 down, 45 to go... on 22:07 - Aug 3 with 849 viewspennblue

1 down, 45 to go... on 21:12 - Aug 3 by Illinoisblue

Little harsh on Donacien there; thought he was decent today.

agreed, I thought he had a good game.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

1 down, 45 to go... on 22:20 - Aug 3 with 794 viewsOldTimer2

1 down, 45 to go... on 22:07 - Aug 3 by pennblue

agreed, I thought he had a good game.

Okay defensively but offers very little going forward, there were a couple of times when Judge was looking for the overlapping full back only to discover he wasn't. Actually thought Kenlock had a decent game and did okay defensively, won a number of tackles and stuck to his men. Given Emmanuel not even in the squad then have to assume a Right back is one of the 3 that Lambert is trying to sign

Bobby Robson - thank you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024