Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton 10:36 - Aug 13 with 883 viewsSteve_M

That was a good evening and one of the very few cup wins I've seen live since about 2003.

A few thoughts by Steve_M 9 Aug 2017 7:58
It's nice to win a cup tie, even nicer to win one with such strong showing by so many players who might actually give us some proper squad depth this year. Whilst, losing to Stevenage, Crawley et al had no great effect in the grand scheme of things it's much nicer to keep the positive impact from Saturday going.

We started fairly slowly on the ball, partly because the home side started positively but also our passing was a bit off. Neither wing-back looked great on the ball: Kenlock's touch was very poor in the first half and Iorfa didn't quite seem to know what to do with the ball. We failed to find McGoldrick or Cellina with the ball, hitting it too long.

We grew into the game though, the first time Cellina and McGoldrick linked up, the former just shot over, the second time we scored. Nydam having been content just to do simple things on the ball, started to trust himself to do more and he came much more into the game, some of the link up play with Downes and Skuse in the middle was good; moving the ball about and working space confidently.

Luton showed why they scored a lot of goals at the weekend, midfield runners playing off the strikers and shooting readily. They should have been level at the break, Gerken pushing a shot straight back into play but the shot was abysmal/hilarious.

The second half we also started slowly, sitting back a little too much but we did break quickly and with some good use of the ball. Kenlock I thought had a much better second half and McGoldrick looked a real threat whenever the ball got to him. Cellina faded a bit but I think he'll just take a little while to get properly up to the pace of this division - he'll be unplayable at times when he does.

Waghorn gave us a bit more impetus when he came on, quite direct in his play but he looked like a player who hadn't trained with his teammates yet. More to come from him no doubt.

We had chances to have wrapped the game up long before we did, Luton's shooting became increasing desperate but a cushion was still nice. Knudsen - who looks comfortable in a back three - showed good composure to put his foot on the ball in midfield before playing it to Iorfa who played the best ball of his night to McGoldrick. 2-0 job done and a very happy away end.

The biggest positives were McGoldrick's form, another good game from Downes and an impressive debut from Nydam. In addition Kenlock improved as the game went on and Wolfenden was generally good. It's only two games into the season but we might have a bit of depth to the squad this season.

https://twitter.com/steve_m10/status/895029001764433924

Such a pity that that season tailed off so badly from mid-December onwards.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 11:01 - Aug 13 with 829 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I was also there that night. I do seem to remember Celina being a lot better than you described though. But Mcgoldrick was absolutely levels above everyone on that pitch, performances like that reminds me why he is a standout player in a now premier league team.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 11:29 - Aug 13 with 785 viewsFtnfwest

i was there, and will be again tonight. Mc G and Celina worked very well together (never to be combined again i think?)
It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 11:47 - Aug 13 with 765 viewsSteve_M

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 11:01 - Aug 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

I was also there that night. I do seem to remember Celina being a lot better than you described though. But Mcgoldrick was absolutely levels above everyone on that pitch, performances like that reminds me why he is a standout player in a now premier league team.

He was good, certainly the link up play with McGoldrick was excellent but I don't read that as being critical of him. I learnt how to spell his name pretty quickly too.

I was delighted to see Didzy look like he belonged in the Premier League on MOTD, he deserves it.

As I may have mentioned Huws looked two divisions above everyone else on the pitch when he came on at Burton. Here's hoping he can stay fit.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 12:13 - Aug 13 with 734 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 11:47 - Aug 13 by Steve_M

He was good, certainly the link up play with McGoldrick was excellent but I don't read that as being critical of him. I learnt how to spell his name pretty quickly too.

I was delighted to see Didzy look like he belonged in the Premier League on MOTD, he deserves it.

As I may have mentioned Huws looked two divisions above everyone else on the pitch when he came on at Burton. Here's hoping he can stay fit.

Agree. I have no doubt that Huws Is best player in this league when he is fit.

He Is probably one of the better midfielders in the Championship when fit and firing.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 12:23 - Aug 13 with 722 viewsSuperblue95

I was there for that game too.

I’ve not seen us win since...

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

It feels a lot longer than two years ago that we last played Luton on 13:56 - Aug 13 with 647 viewsBluefish

TWTD

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024