Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 12:36 - Sep 8 with 2244 viewsTrequartista

If you dont need to keep a run rate up in test cricket surely it is easier to score runs because you dont have to take risks (even after factoring in the fielding restrictions). So how come our world champion 1 day batsman keep getting out with much lower scores in test cricket? Is the white ball easier to hit than a red ball?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 12:43 - Sep 8 with 2211 viewsbournemouthblue

The White ball is undoubtedly more placid, the pitches are better also

You have to remember this one is five days old and has plenty of wear on it

There are no fielding restrictions and no legside wides, the bowlers can bowl a lot more overs

Test cricket is the ultimate test, it is as simple as that really

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 12:58 - Sep 8 with 2176 viewsTrequartista

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 12:43 - Sep 8 by bournemouthblue

The White ball is undoubtedly more placid, the pitches are better also

You have to remember this one is five days old and has plenty of wear on it

There are no fielding restrictions and no legside wides, the bowlers can bowl a lot more overs

Test cricket is the ultimate test, it is as simple as that really

The world cup was in england wasn't it at the same grounds? I know it is day 5 today but this is happening on all days. In the last match we scored 67 in the first innings. To me the slight differences in the rules dont outweigh the fact in one game you almost have to try and score runs off every ball and it test cricket you can just defend and pick your shots. And another thing... :-) ..... if you can't win and can only draw why risk trying to score runs. Just defend everything.

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:02 - Sep 8 with 2158 viewsuefacup81

What I don't quite understand is why England aren't just playing ultra defensive cricket, given that the draw is the best result in the circumstances?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:08 - Sep 8 with 2139 viewsbournemouthblue

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 12:58 - Sep 8 by Trequartista

The world cup was in england wasn't it at the same grounds? I know it is day 5 today but this is happening on all days. In the last match we scored 67 in the first innings. To me the slight differences in the rules dont outweigh the fact in one game you almost have to try and score runs off every ball and it test cricket you can just defend and pick your shots. And another thing... :-) ..... if you can't win and can only draw why risk trying to score runs. Just defend everything.

Roy's tried to defend one which has bowled him sadly

The red balls seam more and swing more, certainly in England

He has a technical weakness which is less exploited by that White ball

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:14 - Sep 8 with 2121 viewsTrequartista

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:08 - Sep 8 by bournemouthblue

Roy's tried to defend one which has bowled him sadly

The red balls seam more and swing more, certainly in England

He has a technical weakness which is less exploited by that White ball

Yes they've just shown him getting bowled 3 times by a similar ball inthis series. But this wasnt happening in the world cup

Similar with Cummins. He is bowling absolute pearlers and has 4 wickets. Where was this brilliance in the world cup?

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:16 - Sep 8 with 2116 viewsFtnfwest

Can’t defend against a moving ball, particularly at pace. White ball doesn’t move as much
Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:17 - Sep 8 with 2112 viewsFtnfwest

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:02 - Sep 8 by uefacup81

What I don't quite understand is why England aren't just playing ultra defensive cricket, given that the draw is the best result in the circumstances?

They’re just trying to survive as it is
Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:17 - Sep 8 with 2112 viewseireblue

You have made Geoffrey Boycott very happy.
Login to get fewer ads

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:19 - Sep 8 with 2108 viewsFtnfwest

If you keep the scoreboard ticking along even just a bit, you rotate the strike and slow things down, particularly when there’s a right and left hand combination at the wicket. Makes it more difficult for bowlers to get their lines right as well
Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:19 - Sep 8 with 2107 viewsTrequartista

Cricket seems to be totally unaffected by sports science.

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:25 - Sep 8 with 2091 viewsTrequartista

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:16 - Sep 8 by Ftnfwest

Can’t defend against a moving ball, particularly at pace. White ball doesn’t move as much

Seems to be the most plausible explanation thanks. I just thought it was red ball painted white! Doesn't seem to bother Steve Smith

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:27 - Sep 8 with 2083 viewsTrequartista

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:19 - Sep 8 by Ftnfwest

If you keep the scoreboard ticking along even just a bit, you rotate the strike and slow things down, particularly when there’s a right and left hand combination at the wicket. Makes it more difficult for bowlers to get their lines right as well

I believe what you say, i'm not convinced that outweighs just not hitting it unless it's arrowing at your stumps

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:27 - Sep 8 with 2083 viewsFtnfwest

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:25 - Sep 8 by Trequartista

Seems to be the most plausible explanation thanks. I just thought it was red ball painted white! Doesn't seem to bother Steve Smith

The best players like him and stokes to be fair is that they can concentrate and read deliveries so well that they play them a fraction later when they generally know which way if any they are moving
Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:28 - Sep 8 with 2081 viewsbournemouthblue

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:25 - Sep 8 by Trequartista

Steve Smith on the contrary isn't quite the world beater in One Day Cricket

He's still fairly competent but certainly not quite the top tier

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:39 - Sep 8 with 2057 viewsGuthrum

There are no fielding restrictions or limitation on how many overs your best bowlers can deliver.

The One Day and T20 systems are quite contrived, in that the bowling team is unable to put as many fielders in deep catching positions. This means the batsmen, if they can get the ball past - or over - those in the 30-yard circle, there is much reduced danger of getting caught and a very good chance of getting a four. In a Test Match, a mistimed slog is highly likely to be caught by a man on the boundary, or a shot along the ground intercepted.

In an ODI, the Captian has to juggle his bowlers a bit, being only allowed a limited number of overs each (10 in and ODI, 4 in T20). So you can't bring your best man on for an extended spell, then use them again later. Spinners can send down a very large number of overs in a Test Match day.

The rules on wides are less tight, so bowlers can go down the leg side or use a wider line without being penalised. So far fewer easy scoring chances.

As others have said, the white ball doesn't do as much as the red one, also doesn't have long enough to get old (thus removing the chance of reverse swing).
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 13:41]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:51 - Sep 8 with 2043 viewsGuthrum

Because they haven't been trained to. The last four years have been entirely geared up to trying to win the ODI World Cup (which we did, just).

Defensive play requires extreme coolness and patience. The iron will not to go for that tempting ball just outside the off stump. Only to attack the genuinely bad deliveries. But those drilled in the ODI mindset are always getting twitchy if the scoreboard isn't ticking over. Instinctively, they want to hit even the marginal ball.

Having spent that long working towards the WC, most then cannot within a couple of weeks switch their entire methodolgy and psychology to something else. Only a few of the best are capable of it - Root, Stokes, even Steve Smith struggles (tho in the other direction).

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 15:05 - Sep 8 with 1954 viewsGuthrum

Same grounds, but not the same pitches. The "square" in the centre has a number of "strips", used in different matches. If all were played on the same one, it would wear out very quickly.

Those strips do not only have slight variations in the way they behave, they're also prepared differently for each match, the amount of moisture, grass left on, firmness (rolling), etc. Affects speed the ball goes through, bounce, seam for the quicks and turn for the spinners.

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 15:13 - Sep 8 with 1936 viewsGuthrum

Can someone explain cricket to me part 18629 on 13:27 - Sep 8 by Trequartista

I believe what you say, i'm not convinced that outweighs just not hitting it unless it's arrowing at your stumps

It's difficult to judge if the ball is only just missing the off stump or will hit (especially considering the ball can move sideways in the air both before and after bouncing). Even a defensive block may result in an edge which goes to slips or keeper, or an inside edge onto the stumps.

Plus if you're blocking or leaving everything, it allows very aggressive fields, with lots of men close round the bat, so even the slightest lack of control runs the risk of being caught. Occasional hitting spreads the field and makes their job harder.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024