Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This week..... 08:31 - Sep 16 with 1635 viewsMetal_Hacker

for me will define where we go between now and Christmas

With the season well underway and the struggle we found ourselves in against Donny performance-wise, formation,style of play etc I think if we can't put up a better display over the next two games then this could well be the blue print for us for a good few months

Having the" target on our back " doesn't account for much in this league as Donny showed at the weekend . Thinking teams are going to come to PR roll over and die are far from the truth to be fair .

We need to step it up in all aspects otherwise what SHOULD be enjoyable will end up being a complete grind of a season.

The left side as documented well over the weekend worries me , both attacking and obviously defensive . The long ball up to both Jackson and Norwood is OK to a degree but not for the majority .

"Front foot football " is what we keep hearing but we were pretty much back foot from what I saw on Saturday .

I think for me reality has set in after the performances this season and also for me we are still ,well I am , waiting to see and witness a REALLY good performance

Poll: If it were one or the other

This week..... on 08:35 - Sep 16 with 1629 viewsitfcjoe

MK Dons played very well at the weekend by all accounts, and if we set up like we did and knock long ball after long ball we'll get absolutely dominated in the centre of the park

We need to find a way to get 3 centre mids on the park, without losing the threat from wide and whilst also not losing the goal threat - ideally some sort of 4232 would be ideal but there is a little problem with that formation........!!!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This week..... on 08:49 - Sep 16 with 1580 viewsHerbivore

This week..... on 08:35 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

MK Dons played very well at the weekend by all accounts, and if we set up like we did and knock long ball after long ball we'll get absolutely dominated in the centre of the park

We need to find a way to get 3 centre mids on the park, without losing the threat from wide and whilst also not losing the goal threat - ideally some sort of 4232 would be ideal but there is a little problem with that formation........!!!

I could see us going 4-3-3 but playing Jackson as one of the wide forwards so that Norwood doesn't get isolated like he did against AFC Wimbledon.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This week..... on 08:52 - Sep 16 with 1572 viewsMetal_Hacker

This week..... on 08:49 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

I could see us going 4-3-3 but playing Jackson as one of the wide forwards so that Norwood doesn't get isolated like he did against AFC Wimbledon.

Not disagreeing because I think we need a "fix" to be fair but wouldn't you take away his goal threat by moving him put wide a little ?

This week..... on 08:59 - Sep 16 with 1547 viewsGuthrum

This week..... on 08:49 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Problem we've always had is the wider men of the front three end up as ersatz wingers, thus are not in the box to assist the central striker.

The lone ACM (given we need two more defensive ones to protect the back-line with expecting the FBs to get up the pitch) is involved with the earlier play getting the ball out to the wide forwards. So he then has a heck of a job to get right into the box by the time any cross arrives, plus the opposition MFs will be going with him.

The wide men are too wide, the AMF is too far back and the striker is on his own in the box again, outnumbered and overtopped by defenders. Doesn't work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This week..... on 09:04 - Sep 16 with 1536 viewsHerbivore

This week..... on 08:52 - Sep 16 by Metal_Hacker

Not disagreeing because I think we need a "fix" to be fair but wouldn't you take away his goal threat by moving him put wide a little ?

Slightly but actually coming from wide also makes him harder to pick up and he tends to work the channels when playing right up top anyway. Norwood is the one who tends to stay more central. The season before he signed for us he mainly played as a wide forward for Accrington and he bagged a decent number of goals.

The problem is if we go 4-3-3 and play the likes of Rowe or Judge wide of Norwood they won't get close enough to him and won't carry enough goal threat. Playing a genuine forward as one of the wide forwards in that system ought to work much better.

This week..... on 09:07 - Sep 16 with 1533 viewsMetal_Hacker

This week..... on 09:04 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Slightly but actually coming from wide also makes him harder to pick up and he tends to work the channels when playing right up top anyway. Norwood is the one who tends to stay more central. The season before he signed for us he mainly played as a wide forward for Accrington and he bagged a decent number of goals.

The problem is if we go 4-3-3 and play the likes of Rowe or Judge wide of Norwood they won't get close enough to him and won't carry enough goal threat. Playing a genuine forward as one of the wide forwards in that system ought to work much better.

Not sure what the answer is but like someone has just created another thread and mentioned the fact Lambert has now had 41 games in charge...we haven't moved on a great deal in terms of style of play to be fair

Don't think we have an identity on the pitch in all fairness which I find a little weird .

I'm all for having a Plan B , C etc but I'd also very much like a cohesive Plan A that works

This week..... on 09:07 - Sep 16 with 1535 viewsHerbivore

This week..... on 08:59 - Sep 16 by Guthrum

Problem we've always had is the wider men of the front three end up as ersatz wingers, thus are not in the box to assist the central striker.

The lone ACM (given we need two more defensive ones to protect the back-line with expecting the FBs to get up the pitch) is involved with the earlier play getting the ball out to the wide forwards. So he then has a heck of a job to get right into the box by the time any cross arrives, plus the opposition MFs will be going with him.

The wide men are too wide, the AMF is too far back and the striker is on his own in the box again, outnumbered and overtopped by defenders. Doesn't work.

We used to use the system quite effectively under Mick at times but then we'd be playing at least two forwards, sometimes three, in that front three. It can work well but if you stick midfielders out wide in the front three it basically ends up a 4-5-1 with an isolated central striker. The front three also need permission to roam around a bit with the midfield three offering protection for them to do so otherwise it again ends up as a quite rigid formation with an isolated central striker.

This week..... on 09:07 - Sep 16 with 1545 viewsSWGF

Listened to BBC Suffolk on the way home. Can't remember who mentioned it; whether it was a caller or Mick Mills, but we are yet to win against any pre-season contenders for the Play Offs (Posh, Sunderland, Doncaster).

Arguably should have lost two of those and won the other.

Draws scuppered Sunderland last year and could do with us. We have the strength of squad/player to beat two thirds of the league regardless of formation/pattern of play IMO, however we need to play "properly" against the other third. That's where PL needs to sort out the team/style/formation/personnel.

I don't, for one second, think he wants to play 442 but needs to get 4231/451 to work from an offensive perspective. He hasn't since being here.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

This week..... on 09:08 - Sep 16 with 1526 viewsMetal_Hacker

This week..... on 09:07 - Sep 16 by SWGF

Listened to BBC Suffolk on the way home. Can't remember who mentioned it; whether it was a caller or Mick Mills, but we are yet to win against any pre-season contenders for the Play Offs (Posh, Sunderland, Doncaster).

Draws scuppered Sunderland last year and could do with us. We have the strength of squad/player to beat two thirds of the league regardless of formation/pattern of play IMO, however we need to play "properly" against the other third. That's where PL needs to sort out the team/style/formation/personnel.

I don't, for one second, think he wants to play 442 but needs to get 4231/451 to work from an offensive perspective. He hasn't since being here.

Spot on !

This week..... on 09:12 - Sep 16 with 1509 viewsSomethingBlue

Then again we're also yet to lose. Sunderland had exactly the same record as us (W4 D3) as this stage of last season, I note — they then lost at Burton in the equivalent to this Tuesday — so the comparison with them is holding up. But I'd also note that most relegated teams have usually had some sort of unwelcome surprise by this point and we've avoided that. We're yet to really click but I'd be surprised if we got worse. And I don't see a really clinical team in this division beyond Peterborough.

Your last two pars are the crux of it though and may be the difference between 3rd/4th and 1st/2nd.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This week..... on 09:12 - Sep 16 with 1504 viewsHerbivore

Burton would be considered play off contenders. That aside I agree with the rest of your post. Our quality will see us turn over most sides but we can't rely on moments of quality against the better teams, we need to develop a system and style that makes us greater than the sum of our parts. That's what good managers do. I'm not convinced we're close to that as yet.

This week..... on 09:14 - Sep 16 with 1499 viewsitfcjoe

He did get 4231/451 to work from an offensive perspective in his first few games here, but that was with Sears and Lankester being available to fill the wide roles - also Edwards genuinely pushes on and is a goal threat when he plays higher. GE actually quite disciplined and adaptable role wise.

I know Jordan Roberts isn't up to it, but he also made a bit of a difference, and playing as a wide striker in pre season did too.

A front 3, from what we have fit of Roberts, Norwood and Jackson would most likely work, as long as Roberts and Jackson are disciplined enough to do their defensive work, which they generally have been.

The key is to get wide strikers, or attacking wingers into those wide roles opposed to wide midfielders who don't get into the box.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This week..... on 09:17 - Sep 16 with 1484 viewsHerbivore

This week..... on 09:14 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

He did get 4231/451 to work from an offensive perspective in his first few games here, but that was with Sears and Lankester being available to fill the wide roles - also Edwards genuinely pushes on and is a goal threat when he plays higher. GE actually quite disciplined and adaptable role wise.

I know Jordan Roberts isn't up to it, but he also made a bit of a difference, and playing as a wide striker in pre season did too.

A front 3, from what we have fit of Roberts, Norwood and Jackson would most likely work, as long as Roberts and Jackson are disciplined enough to do their defensive work, which they generally have been.

The key is to get wide strikers, or attacking wingers into those wide roles opposed to wide midfielders who don't get into the box.

Once Sears is back I think a front three of him and Jackson wide with Norwood or Keane in the middle would be very strong. For now I'd probably have Rowe or Edwards ahead of Roberts as both are capable of pushing forward and getting shots off and I think they're just better players. Jackson is worth a go as a wide forward to enable us to fit a third CM into the line up.

This week..... on 09:29 - Sep 16 with 1449 viewsStadiumofdark

This week..... on 09:17 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Once Sears is back I think a front three of him and Jackson wide with Norwood or Keane in the middle would be very strong. For now I'd probably have Rowe or Edwards ahead of Roberts as both are capable of pushing forward and getting shots off and I think they're just better players. Jackson is worth a go as a wide forward to enable us to fit a third CM into the line up.

It'd just be nice to see Huws with his late runs into the box. Fingers crossed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024