Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit today 08:34 - Oct 21 with 3280 viewsHerbivore

What do we think will happen today then chaps? The government are going to try to pretend Saturday didn't happen and push for another vote. My money is on this not being allowed by the speaker as you can't bring the same motion back twice in the same parliamentary session. Not sure what then happens next but most commentators are saying that if the government start moving the bill it's going to get amended to death.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit today on 13:45 - Oct 21 with 614 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Brexit today on 12:03 - Oct 21 by Pinewoodblue

Where do we go from here?

Down to the lake......

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Brexit today on 13:48 - Oct 21 with 608 viewsOldsmoker

Brexit today on 11:17 - Oct 21 by No9

You missed out-
Johnson lies again

I think Zed didn't mention it as we take Johnson lying as a given.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Brexit today on 13:51 - Oct 21 with 601 viewsOldsmoker

Brexit today on 13:45 - Oct 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Down to the lake......

Is that for Arthur to recover Excalibur and lead the Peoples March to victory?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Brexit today on 13:52 - Oct 21 with 597 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Brexit today on 13:51 - Oct 21 by Oldsmoker

Is that for Arthur to recover Excalibur and lead the Peoples March to victory?

....I fear.... there may be a ducking stool for Boris.

Edit....Arthur would be nailed on Leave tbf.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 13:54]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Brexit today on 14:20 - Oct 21 with 555 viewsfactual_blue

Brexit today on 13:38 - Oct 21 by Pinewoodblue

Dane Law, and move parliament to Mersea.

As part of Denmark's splendid democracy, we'd be governed from Copenhagen. Whilst we'd have our own members of the Greater Denmark parliament, the sensible Danes would ban people like farage, courtois and that obnoxious MP from Shrewsbury would be barred from standing.

boris, cummings, may and cameron would have 'disappeared'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexit today on 14:40 - Oct 21 with 537 viewssparks

Brexit today on 14:20 - Oct 21 by factual_blue

As part of Denmark's splendid democracy, we'd be governed from Copenhagen. Whilst we'd have our own members of the Greater Denmark parliament, the sensible Danes would ban people like farage, courtois and that obnoxious MP from Shrewsbury would be barred from standing.

boris, cummings, may and cameron would have 'disappeared'.

Significant further info on the bbc feed. Barclay confirms that NI businesses sending things to GB will have to complete export declaration forms.

Clearly a proper border. And clearly taking republican side over unionist. I cannot see how unionist majority is ever going to buy it. Nor the uda or uvf. Seems a big step away from the spirit of good friday agreement.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Brexit today on 14:42 - Oct 21 with 534 viewsHerbivore

Brexit today on 13:08 - Oct 21 by Guthrum

The problem is, we can't really avoid having a General Election.

The Government currently does not have a majority in the House of Commons, therefore is unable to pass any legislation (even budgets or a Queen's Speech). They cannot prevent a united opposition from using SO24 to sieze control of the agenda. We effectively do not have a functioning government.

The only way to get around this without an election would be for Johnson to form a coalition/alliance/agreement with one or more other parties/independent MPs to give him the numbers. But nobody much trusts him any more, nor do very many in the House align with his policies.

A GE is the only way to potentially break the impasse.

It's a bit of a catch 22. I completely see your argument for why a GE is needed but I think a GE without a Brexit resolution will have a messy outcome that won't bring an end to the current impasse. The GE would be fought along Brexit lines first and foremost and I don't think that'd be helpful.

I almost wonder if you could have a GE and referendum at the same time with manifestos having a section for their approach to negotiations with the EU if we were to vote leave again. If leave is Johnson's deal there's still a lot of scope for any future government to choose a different path in negotiating the future relationship, the political declaration isn't legally binding.

Brexit today on 14:44 - Oct 21 with 528 viewsHerbivore

Brexit today on 14:40 - Oct 21 by sparks

Significant further info on the bbc feed. Barclay confirms that NI businesses sending things to GB will have to complete export declaration forms.

Clearly a proper border. And clearly taking republican side over unionist. I cannot see how unionist majority is ever going to buy it. Nor the uda or uvf. Seems a big step away from the spirit of good friday agreement.

Interesting move from the Conservative and Unionist Party to essentially break up the union in all but name. How every Tory and almost all the ex-Tory's can support the deal is beyond me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024