Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... 09:12 - Dec 5 with 4246 viewsStokieBlue

One of the often used lines from the anti-vaxers is that getting measles isn't actually that bad. I think 62 people in Samoa would disagree:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/05/samoa-measles-outbreak-families-fl

Furthermore a recent study has found that measles kills off the parts of white blood cells which tell them how to fight other diseases:

https://time.com/5714159/measles-immune-amnesia/

This is obviously really bad. You know what to do people.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:04 - Dec 5 with 522 viewslowhouseblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 16:51 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

"so really what you're trying to do is just spread doubt and mistrust"

I appreciate that is the comeback these days. The Guardian pushes this idea a lot and it's entering popular discourse. It's also fashionable to say that people who spread distrust are working in a troll factory in St Petersberg somewhere.

It's nonsense.

I reserve the right to think that any government or media is talking carp. I think it happens quite a lot actually - probably most of the time. I think if anyone is trying to spread doubt and mistrust it's our leaders and the press. It's a mind control strategy. People want sanity and order. We generally want consensus. I think our leaders are trying to scramble our brains so that we democratically grant them greater powers of control over us to satisfy our need for order. Can I provide proof of this? Course I can't? Does it sound ridiculous? Probably to most, yes. Do I have to provide evidence of this? No. Am I spreading mistrust if I don't? No. You're big enough to believe what you want all by yourself. Am I leading stupid people astray? No. If anyone believes what I think, it's probably more plausible than the government/Press narrative. Am I embarrassed to say what I think? Not at all, I've spent my whole life doing it.

to be fair it's not just the russians - the anti-state extreme libertarian right in the us were doing it first.

since you have no evidence whatsoever i don't see how you can really dispute the label 'fantasist'. sorry.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:08 - Dec 5 with 516 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 15:04 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

I'm sure those downvotes where people stated actual facts about vaccines and then posted 'please be sceptical folks, these are only facts' plea leave absolutely no connection to your views on this.

Don't be shy now, people express witless fact-free opinion on here all the time, after all.

The reason for the downvotes is because this is blatant agenda peddling. It's based on a belief that evidence is everything, a world where opposing evidence is destroyed or unreported and supporting evidence is manufactured and that science understands everything and that everything outside the understanding of scientists is nothing more than paranormal woo-woo.

I'm not saying this is the case here, that's why I said it was an interesting article, but best viewed through a lens of scepticism, a lens where people actually entertain the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience or that science doesn't yet have the answers to everything.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:13 - Dec 5 with 501 viewsStokieBlue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:08 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

The reason for the downvotes is because this is blatant agenda peddling. It's based on a belief that evidence is everything, a world where opposing evidence is destroyed or unreported and supporting evidence is manufactured and that science understands everything and that everything outside the understanding of scientists is nothing more than paranormal woo-woo.

I'm not saying this is the case here, that's why I said it was an interesting article, but best viewed through a lens of scepticism, a lens where people actually entertain the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience or that science doesn't yet have the answers to everything.

How on earth is this not seeding doubt and mistrust:

"The reason for the downvotes is because this is blatant agenda peddling. It's based on a belief that evidence is everything, a world where opposing evidence is destroyed or unreported and supporting evidence is manufactured and that science understands everything and that everything outside the understanding of scientists is nothing more than paranormal woo-woo."

The rest of it is total nonsense as well. Got any evidence for those wild accusations in general?

"I'm not saying this is the case here, that's why I said it was an interesting article, but best viewed through a lens of scepticism, a lens where people actually entertain the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience or that science doesn't yet have the answers to everything."

More wild accusations to sow doubt in general. Furthermore just because science doesn't have the answers to everything that doesn't mean it doesn't have the answers to something. You just go to this horrible trope every time a piece of science disagrees with your warped worldview.

Your mask has well and truly gone now. Horrible stuff.

SB
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 17:17]

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:18 - Dec 5 with 487 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:02 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

At least you've been honest about your narrative now.

As for the rest of it, of course you are spreading mistrust and doubt. You have no evidence by your own admission yet you push it all the time. To say it can't be dangerous is nonsense, especially when it comes to vaccinations.

"No. You're big enough to believe what you want all by yourself."

That is an unbelievably poor cop-out and you know it. You can literally say anything, be it insulting, misleading or plain lies and use that line. Poor form.

SB
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 17:04]

So in summary, my narrative is that I reserve the right to believe what I want to believe and to say so. I extend that right to everyone else. But you don't like it. You want me to fall in line with the media/government narrative and do away with with my dangerous ideas of freedom of opinion forming and expression.

At least you're being honest about your purpose on this forum now.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:21 - Dec 5 with 478 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:04 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

to be fair it's not just the russians - the anti-state extreme libertarian right in the us were doing it first.

since you have no evidence whatsoever i don't see how you can really dispute the label 'fantasist'. sorry.

LOL

Can you tell me what my fantasy is though?

Crikey, you guys are so see-through. You WILL have conformity of opinion at all costs. I WILL believe the news and I WILL love my government.

#Stasi

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:22 - Dec 5 with 480 viewsStokieBlue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:18 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

So in summary, my narrative is that I reserve the right to believe what I want to believe and to say so. I extend that right to everyone else. But you don't like it. You want me to fall in line with the media/government narrative and do away with with my dangerous ideas of freedom of opinion forming and expression.

No. Stop being disingenuous.

I want you to provide evidence for your claims on a case by case basis rather than just pushing your generic narrative that you've highlighted in this thread. I don't think you should dismiss things without evidence because in your mind you don't like the way the world works and don't trust certain things.

You need to prove it's the case rather than dismiss others. This is the issue I have with your posts. You literally ignore evidence because it doesn't fit your worldview then belittle others who take issue with it.

SB

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:23 - Dec 5 with 477 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:13 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

How on earth is this not seeding doubt and mistrust:

"The reason for the downvotes is because this is blatant agenda peddling. It's based on a belief that evidence is everything, a world where opposing evidence is destroyed or unreported and supporting evidence is manufactured and that science understands everything and that everything outside the understanding of scientists is nothing more than paranormal woo-woo."

The rest of it is total nonsense as well. Got any evidence for those wild accusations in general?

"I'm not saying this is the case here, that's why I said it was an interesting article, but best viewed through a lens of scepticism, a lens where people actually entertain the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience or that science doesn't yet have the answers to everything."

More wild accusations to sow doubt in general. Furthermore just because science doesn't have the answers to everything that doesn't mean it doesn't have the answers to something. You just go to this horrible trope every time a piece of science disagrees with your warped worldview.

Your mask has well and truly gone now. Horrible stuff.

SB
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 17:17]

Horrible stuff.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:24 - Dec 5 with 472 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:22 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

No. Stop being disingenuous.

I want you to provide evidence for your claims on a case by case basis rather than just pushing your generic narrative that you've highlighted in this thread. I don't think you should dismiss things without evidence because in your mind you don't like the way the world works and don't trust certain things.

You need to prove it's the case rather than dismiss others. This is the issue I have with your posts. You literally ignore evidence because it doesn't fit your worldview then belittle others who take issue with it.

SB

Horrible stuff!

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:25 - Dec 5 with 470 viewsStokieBlue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:24 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Horrible stuff!

You really are quite pathetic.

SB

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:29 - Dec 5 with 458 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:25 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

You really are quite pathetic.

SB

That's fine. In my world it's okay for you to express such thoughts. I think you're wrong and behaving a bit like a drama queen but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:30 - Dec 5 with 455 viewslowhouseblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:21 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

LOL

Can you tell me what my fantasy is though?

Crikey, you guys are so see-through. You WILL have conformity of opinion at all costs. I WILL believe the news and I WILL love my government.

#Stasi

yes. you just summarised your fantasy as:

"I ... think that any government or media is talking carp. I think it happens quite a lot actually - probably most of the time. I think if anyone is trying to spread doubt and mistrust it's our leaders and the press. It's a mind control strategy. People want sanity and order. We generally want consensus. I think our leaders are trying to scramble our brains so that we democratically grant them greater powers of control over us to satisfy our need for order."

do feel free to add to it if you want.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:31 - Dec 5 with 453 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:30 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

yes. you just summarised your fantasy as:

"I ... think that any government or media is talking carp. I think it happens quite a lot actually - probably most of the time. I think if anyone is trying to spread doubt and mistrust it's our leaders and the press. It's a mind control strategy. People want sanity and order. We generally want consensus. I think our leaders are trying to scramble our brains so that we democratically grant them greater powers of control over us to satisfy our need for order."

do feel free to add to it if you want.

Ugly stuff!

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:34 - Dec 5 with 446 viewslowhouseblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:31 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Ugly stuff!

i'm saying that what you believe is clearly a fantasy because, as you admit, you have no evidence whatsoever to support it.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:38 - Dec 5 with 440 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:34 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

i'm saying that what you believe is clearly a fantasy because, as you admit, you have no evidence whatsoever to support it.

That's fine. In my world it's okay for you to interpret my words that way. I think you're wrong though and behaving a bit like a shill but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:43 - Dec 5 with 431 viewslowhouseblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:38 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

That's fine. In my world it's okay for you to interpret my words that way. I think you're wrong though and behaving a bit like a shill but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

again, since my shill-ness isn't evidence based i think you can guess what my answer might be.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:45 - Dec 5 with 425 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:43 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

again, since my shill-ness isn't evidence based i think you can guess what my answer might be.

The evidence is pretty much everything you say. I'm happy in the hope that you're probably being remunerated for such meaningful work.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:51 - Dec 5 with 409 viewslowhouseblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:45 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

The evidence is pretty much everything you say. I'm happy in the hope that you're probably being remunerated for such meaningful work.

to be honest challenging conspiracy theorists on football forums is pretty much towards the low skill end of the trade. for the real money you have to be prepared to take the russian ruble.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:04 - Dec 5 with 396 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:51 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

to be honest challenging conspiracy theorists on football forums is pretty much towards the low skill end of the trade. for the real money you have to be prepared to take the russian ruble.

грохотали

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:10 - Dec 5 with 390 viewseireblue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 15:00 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Wow. Your comprehension skills are really really poor. You've pretty much misunderstood everything I've written. Where are you from by the way?

Funny.
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:16 - Dec 5 with 388 viewsBlueBadger

Christ alive.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 18:17]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:43 - Dec 5 with 379 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 17:23 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Horrible stuff.

How does 'vaccines are overwhelmingly safe and beneficial and here's the numbers to prove it' impact on your freedom of expression in any way? No-one's stopping you from talking sh1t. They're just using their freedom of expression to tell you WHY you're talking sh1t.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 18:56]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"How to Gauge When Someone’s Pushing an Agenda" on 18:49 - Dec 5 with 373 viewsDyland

"How to Gauge When Someone’s Pushing an Agenda" on 16:57 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

sceptic: a person who doubts the truth or value of an idea or belief https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sceptic

cynic: a person who believes that people are only interested in themselves and are not sincere:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cynic

I reckon I'm a lot more sceptic than cynic.

But that's okay Dyllers, I really don't care what you think of me, I'm quite sincere about that.

By the way, what's the false premise?

The false premise is that everyone is only ever interested in themselves and their nearest and dearest first and foremost and are not sincere or altruistic, which may largely be true, or only partly true, or not at all. Who knows anybody else, really knows.

Yeh to be fair, I've kind of conflated a few different things in this thread, and you can take the skeptic vs cynic comment with a punch of salt, especially as I'd just had a hearty lunch. Not that you give a toot anyway of course ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:56 - Dec 5 with 367 viewseireblue

“...a lens where people actually entertain the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience or that science doesn't yet have the answers to everything..”

Well, you “peddled” a paper that was simply a list of observations, as a scientific paper.
The paper was paid for by businesses and politicians, and written by a scientist paid to do so.

You also published a YouTube video of someone expressing the worrying trend of scientists being paid to publish papers. The context was that was something to be very wary of.

Many people managed to spot that you had made a false claim quite quickly, through their “lens”.

Skepticism seems to be alive and well. Spotting hypocrisy is also a board pastime.
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 19:01 - Dec 5 with 362 viewsDyland

"... and that science understands everything and that everything outside the understanding of scientists is nothing more than paranormal woo-woo."

Nirvana fallacy. You're better than this.

As you obviously know, scientists don't think they know everything. It's the classic straw man from which to launch an agenda that looks to discredit or undermine evidence based science.

I don't disagree with the other comments though. "Big Pharma", at times, no doubt misrepresents, distorts and abuses science and evidence for a commercial advantage.

"... the possibility that scientists may be peddling pseudoscience"

Then they aren't scientists are they? If you mean "scientists" like the Drs. Gillian McKeith or Patrick Holford, then yes I agree completely.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 19:03]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 20:21 - Dec 5 with 335 viewsStokieBlue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 18:04 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

грохотали

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/05/142000-died-from-measles-last-ye

Anything actually worthwhile to add outside of logical fallacies and ridiculous comments about scientists lying and being unreliable?

Lucky you've got that herd immunity where you live isn't it.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024