Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'young' vote 10:29 - Dec 12 with 4374 viewsFixed_It

Our school (secondary) held our election yesterday, based on the local candidates from our constituency (a Tory marginal seat btw). Without any influence from 'leftie' teachers (!), the results were as follows:

Labour 50%
Conservative 28%
Greens 17%
Lib Dems 5%

If only the country as a whole voted like this; the youngsters whose future depends on us getting it right!

Just thought it might be of some interest

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 'young' vote on 14:53 - Dec 12 with 884 viewsusm

The 'young' vote on 14:29 - Dec 12 by Dyland

Oi. l AM a singer song writer. Just happen to have a job as well innit. Er.

Roadsweeping ?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

The 'young' vote on 15:00 - Dec 12 with 872 viewsDyland

The 'young' vote on 14:53 - Dec 12 by usm

Roadsweeping ?

As has been noted, someone has to do it innit, ysc

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The 'young' vote on 15:03 - Dec 12 with 859 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 14:51 - Dec 12 by longtimefan

and... they still do the same job don't they? My children have also informed me of various teachers political leanings at their schools and they've only left in the last 5 years.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 14:53]

You don't think things maybe have changed in the last 50 odd years.

Alright pal 👍

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The 'young' vote on 15:23 - Dec 12 with 836 viewslongtimefan

The 'young' vote on 15:03 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

You don't think things maybe have changed in the last 50 odd years.

Alright pal 👍

Oh they have, not all for the better. My parents didn't have to use private tutors to get their children an adequate education in some subjects!
The 'young' vote on 15:25 - Dec 12 with 834 viewsBlueNomad

I wonder where those who bang on about "the school of life (and/or hard knocks)" think the rest of us have been over the years............................
The 'young' vote on 15:29 - Dec 12 with 817 viewsBlueNomad

The 'young' vote on 15:23 - Dec 12 by longtimefan

Oh they have, not all for the better. My parents didn't have to use private tutors to get their children an adequate education in some subjects!

I refer you to my comment at 11.16 this morning. Years ago teachers didn't do the following (and more):

You come to my school, situated in the constituency of the Tory Chairman, and see us feed kids because they wouldn't be otherwise, give them uniform, see staff regularly dipping into their own pockets for them and then when we have to take them to A&E because their parents are working and can't leave their zero-hours contract jobs. Then see if your arrogant, I'm alright Jack attitude can overcome the little bit of empathy that must exist somewhere in your soul.

(Add in all the things Fixed It said too)
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 15:29]
The 'young' vote on 15:32 - Dec 12 with 806 viewsvilanovablue

The 'young' vote on 11:38 - Dec 12 by BlueNomad

I have 42 years service in the public sector (inc teaching). It is worse now than it ever has been. Six years ago a referral to CAMHS (now EWMHS) would take 4-6 weeks to process, now it is more like 8-9 MONTHS. Social Care services are completely overwhelmed. The police are overwhelmed. Teachers are overwhelmed. The hospitals are overwhelmed (and exacerbated since the Referendum by staff returning to their European homelands). People sleeping in doorways in BSE when they never did before....................

So I could go on. Still, people like the OP think this country is better than it ever has been and if we had the life experience he/she has had we would appreciate everything the government has done for us in the past nine years.

(Sorry but this smug attitude has really boiled my blood today)
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 11:38]

My partner's child is suspected to have ADHD we have been in the CAMHS system for 2 years and had 1 initial assessment 18 months ago. It strikes me that is a demonstration of system that is tryuly broken.
The 'young' vote on 15:41 - Dec 12 with 790 viewslongtimefan

The 'young' vote on 15:29 - Dec 12 by BlueNomad

I refer you to my comment at 11.16 this morning. Years ago teachers didn't do the following (and more):

You come to my school, situated in the constituency of the Tory Chairman, and see us feed kids because they wouldn't be otherwise, give them uniform, see staff regularly dipping into their own pockets for them and then when we have to take them to A&E because their parents are working and can't leave their zero-hours contract jobs. Then see if your arrogant, I'm alright Jack attitude can overcome the little bit of empathy that must exist somewhere in your soul.

(Add in all the things Fixed It said too)
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 15:29]

Very little of that at their school, which probably has one of the most well off catchment areas around Ipswich.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'young' vote on 15:45 - Dec 12 with 784 viewsBlueNomad

The 'young' vote on 15:32 - Dec 12 by vilanovablue

My partner's child is suspected to have ADHD we have been in the CAMHS system for 2 years and had 1 initial assessment 18 months ago. It strikes me that is a demonstration of system that is tryuly broken.

I'm so sorry to read that and I hope you and the little one get they help they need.

Sadly this isn't a one off (which would be one case too many) but the norm. Those "in the real world" probably aren't aware.
The 'young' vote on 15:52 - Dec 12 with 768 viewsjaykay

The 'young' vote on 13:42 - Dec 12 by r2d2

They have been force fed so much nonsense lm not surprised how they voted. They will think differently as they progress through the real school of life.

so action man gets the boot on the 10th and you turn up on the 11th. i expect you might know him.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The 'young' vote on 15:56 - Dec 12 with 762 viewsBABLUE

The 'young' vote on 15:41 - Dec 12 by longtimefan

Very little of that at their school, which probably has one of the most well off catchment areas around Ipswich.

At least this election has provided a number of posters with a chance to spout their right wing bile for all to see.

I’m all right jackism at it’s worst.

It’s as though they don’t believe that food banks outnumber McDonalds or the NHS is at breaking point due to a lack of funding and good staff are leaving because of the under staffing.

Boris is a total disgrace and his cabinet are a bunch of right wing nutters who cannot be trusted or believed. Johnson has been sacked twice for lying and he’s the PM.

Jesus wept
The 'young' vote on 16:07 - Dec 12 with 736 viewsitfcjoe

The 'young' vote on 15:56 - Dec 12 by BABLUE

At least this election has provided a number of posters with a chance to spout their right wing bile for all to see.

It’s as though they don’t believe that food banks outnumber McDonalds or the NHS is at breaking point due to a lack of funding and good staff are leaving because of the under staffing.

Boris is a total disgrace and his cabinet are a bunch of right wing nutters who cannot be trusted or believed. Johnson has been sacked twice for lying and he’s the PM.

Jesus wept

People worry about billionaires being attacked not realising that they are 1,000,000 times more likely to be using a food bank than becoming a billionaire

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The 'young' vote on 16:14 - Dec 12 with 728 viewsFixed_It

The 'young' vote on 14:06 - Dec 12 by usm

Children are hugely influenced by their teachers - and their parents, amongst others - of course they are.

Not saying teachers preach politics at them, but they certainly influence their thinking.

As a teacher I am always ultra-cautious not to discuss my personal views - as are most, if not all, teachers I know. It would be highly unprofessional, and I find it pretty offensive that some people think otherwise.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 'young' vote on 16:14 - Dec 12 with 730 viewsBlueNomad

Just been told by a colleague that Corbyn is a raging anti-semite and supports the IRA. I pointed out that he has been awarded an international peace prize in the past, and that there is a difference between being anti-semite and criticising the Israeli state for its policy towards Palestine, but I apparently believe anything I am told.
The 'young' vote on 16:21 - Dec 12 with 715 viewslongtimefan

The 'young' vote on 15:56 - Dec 12 by BABLUE

Jesus wept

What the hell has any of that to do with what I said?
The 'young' vote on 16:46 - Dec 12 with 700 viewsBABLUE

The 'young' vote on 16:21 - Dec 12 by longtimefan

What the hell has any of that to do with what I said?

Nothing at all, I lazily added my comments to the previous post in the thread
The 'young' vote on 16:47 - Dec 12 with 702 viewsBlueBadger

The 'young' vote on 14:06 - Dec 12 by usm

Children are hugely influenced by their teachers - and their parents, amongst others - of course they are.

Not saying teachers preach politics at them, but they certainly influence their thinking.

That whole 'please be a decent person' thing that they generally try to drill into children is quite the antithesis of the currebt Tory ethos, in all fairness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 'young' vote on 16:53 - Dec 12 with 691 viewsBABLUE

The 'young' vote on 16:47 - Dec 12 by BlueBadger

That whole 'please be a decent person' thing that they generally try to drill into children is quite the antithesis of the currebt Tory ethos, in all fairness.

I was listening to an oldish Bugle podcast just after the floods when Boris had to go “up north” to show his face having ignored them for 5 days.

He was pictured sweeping up debris in a shop which was a branch of Specsavers, a company with a turnover of £2.7 billion, rather than a small independent shop.

He has an irresistible urge to help out billionaires said Andy Zaltzmann.

What a surprise.
The 'young' vote on 16:54 - Dec 12 with 692 viewsBlueBadger

The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 by r2d2

They are told they can be anything they want. Reality is, someone has to sweep the streets, someone has to work in shops. Most want to go to uni, but you have to have lndians as well as chiefs. Where l work most come in and dont want to know. I worry where they will end up as they just arnt interested in hard graft. They come in saying things like, lm a singer song writer, lm an artist, lm a musician. Yeah, right. Heads in the cloud.

Interesting to see two Tories sneering at people for having aspirations. I thought that was one of the cornerstones of the whole party?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The 'young' vote on 17:03 - Dec 12 with 680 viewsBlueBadger

The 'young' vote on 10:43 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

No response?

Will it be the numbers who rely on food banks? The numbers with Social Services intervention due to difficult home lives? Will it be the numbers who receive support (eventually) from CAMHS? The self-harmers? The ones on waiting lists for counselling? The ones who can't access support because services have been cut?

And despite all that, they are taught to be aspirational. It's what schools do. Despite their lack of funding.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 10:44]

It's very baffling that a couple of Tories are sneering about anyone being aspirational.

The 'young' vote on 19:26 - Dec 12 with 649 viewslondontractorboy57

A good enough reason for the voting age to be raised to at least 21 if not higher.
The 'young' vote on 10:28 - Dec 13 with 625 viewsbrazil1982

The 'young' vote on 16:14 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

As a teacher I am always ultra-cautious not to discuss my personal views - as are most, if not all, teachers I know. It would be highly unprofessional, and I find it pretty offensive that some people think otherwise.

I do hope you press a pro-ITFC view though!
The 'young' vote on 10:34 - Dec 13 with 616 viewsbrazil1982

The 'young' vote on 16:53 - Dec 12 by BABLUE

I was listening to an oldish Bugle podcast just after the floods when Boris had to go “up north” to show his face having ignored them for 5 days.

He was pictured sweeping up debris in a shop which was a branch of Specsavers, a company with a turnover of £2.7 billion, rather than a small independent shop.

He has an irresistible urge to help out billionaires said Andy Zaltzmann.

What a surprise.

I would assume the "sweeping up" photo opportunity was pre-booked and managed. I doubt Johnson has much of a say where he goes during the day.

If he had turned up at a "local" company you would have accused him of being patronising.

You hate Boris, we get it.
patronising twaddle on 11:10 - Dec 13 with 613 viewsBryanPlug

patronising twaddle on 13:06 - Dec 12 by Dyland

Open your fooking eyes ffs.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

patronising twaddle on 11:12 - Dec 13 with 606 viewsartsbossbeard

patronising twaddle on 11:10 - Dec 13 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I'm cringing for you.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024