Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? 15:23 - Jan 9 with 2361 viewsitfcjoe

Just watched the highlights below from the ITFC - Spurs U21 game (below), which is obviously a very high standard for the girls game. Game finished 2-2 but 3 of the goals were directly from FKs, all decent strikes but 2 of them are just high shots into the goal that the keeper can't get to. Not particularly powerful, but from 35-40 yards out.

Have felt this before when watching the highlights, even into the professional game and at the major tournaments - so many goals are just efforts that go high into the goal without being particularly accurate.

I guess logistically it's very difficult to have smaller pitches and smaller goals, but physiologically it would make sense

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 17:09 - Jan 9 with 379 viewsFtnfwest

Interesting one. At the end of the day.....who cares?
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 17:34 - Jan 9 with 360 viewsjontysnut

Agree with the same for both sides argument. Perhaps the game will evolve to give less chances for punts and free kicks. Lots of sports have challenges with old pitch, court sizes.
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 17:35 - Jan 9 with 355 viewsvapour_trail

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:38 - Jan 9 by Chrisd

Naturally, in junior football the goal size varies up until U12s and then from U13s upwards it's a full-sized goal which is plain daft in my view. When you look at your link Joe for the girl's U21 match against Spurs the goalkeepers look minute, anything of a decent height they are going to struggle with. That's then not a reflection of their goalkeeping capability, but their physicality.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 15:41]

That’s not right.

My daughter is a goalie at u13s and not in a full size goal yet.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 19:20 - Jan 9 with 321 viewsDurovigutum

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:41 - Jan 9 by Tangledupin_Blue

The crossbar should be one-and-one-third the height of the goalkeeper and the goal width three times the gk's height.

Thus a 6ft gk would have a goal 18ft wide and 8ft high
A 5'3" gk would have a goal 15'9" x 7'0".

For away games goalkeepers should take their own made-to-measure goals with them strapped to the side of the team bus.

Laurie Sivell would have been unbeatable.

Edit: 7ft, not 7'2".
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 15:58]

In the original rules there was no crossbar, not even tape - the goal went up to the heavens.

Realistically the cost of another set of posts on a differently marked pitch is the problem. I've officiated a couple of ladies games recently and the key is to adapt, just as a player should hit the ball low and hard against Holy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024