Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. 12:28 - Jan 23 with 27802 viewsmonytowbray

Is why many feel the need to assume what they think is patriotic or the opinion of the masses? Farage I regularly used to see referred as the man of the people. Tommy Robinson and Hopkins are regularly said to "just be saying what everyone's thinking" by the same folk.

Why do they feel the need to project their lack of values on everyone or claim it's the British thing to do? These people are far from a "majority", let alone a "silent" one if you spend 5 minutes reading the rubbish spouted on social media.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone equate a leftist idea as patriotic or something everyone believes deep down because to do so with any idea is nonsense, even if in the actual majority. I don't believe banning hunting is the British thing to do or something everyone thinks for example, even though you'd hard pressed to find many people who are pro-hunting next to the masses of people against it.

Eurgh.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:40 - Jan 25 with 1169 viewsbrazil1982

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 14:07 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

So has every other country. Many of them without enslaving and exploiting and invading.

Wow, you really dont think much of Britain do you.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:45 - Jan 25 with 1158 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:40 - Jan 25 by brazil1982

Wow, you really dont think much of Britain do you.

I don't think much of any country that maintains an illegal global empire. Why would I?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:47 - Jan 25 with 1153 viewsbrazil1982

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:45 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

I don't think much of any country that maintains an illegal global empire. Why would I?

Do you live here?
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:49 - Jan 25 with 1149 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:47 - Jan 25 by brazil1982

Do you live here?

Yes.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:51 - Jan 25 with 1148 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:45 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

You sounds like a teenager who has just read some Marx and thinks they know it all.

When you become an adult, you’ll learn that the world isn’t black and white and that there are shades of grey when it comes to complex issues.

I’ve noticed you don’t provide evidence or details to back up your claims and don’t respond to pertinent questions.

How is the empire “illegal” ?
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:55 - Jan 25 with 1137 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:51 - Jan 25 by Oxford_Blue

You sounds like a teenager who has just read some Marx and thinks they know it all.

When you become an adult, you’ll learn that the world isn’t black and white and that there are shades of grey when it comes to complex issues.

I’ve noticed you don’t provide evidence or details to back up your claims and don’t respond to pertinent questions.

How is the empire “illegal” ?

Which pertinent questions have I not replied to?

Obviously there was no global legal framework that we'd recognise now, but just FYI, it has never been cool to stroll in and steal a people's land, resources and occupy their government. There is no moral justification for this unless, maybe, you are deposing a tyrant who is threatening genocide. We have never done this, not even in WWII. Instead we have always occupied for our own wealth, and power.

You sound like a relativist who is excusing past atrocities because "it was back in the day". What exactly is the nuance I'm missing here? Your current argument is that empires that enslave, exploit, occupy and force mass starvations are OK because some of its citizens did some good inventions. Care to add more shades of grey?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:56 - Jan 25 with 1132 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:39 - Jan 25 by footers

What is your argument exactly? That there is something uniquely British which has enabled us to produce great works of art or advances in governance and science that are unattainable to other nations? I really don't understand what you're getting at.

You’re answering my question with a question?!

It was claimed that geography was a primary factor in why Britain has produced a disproportionally significant contribution. I gave you a few examples and just asked why geography was causative.

The reasons why the industrial revolution happened here are complex. Many historians have written on it and spent their careers doing do. Luck and geography don’t feature heavily. Climate is clearly not relevant - the Romans, Egyptians, Aztecs all had success and didn’t live in Northern European climates.

The Puritan work ethic, rejection of absolute power, the rule of law, free trade, stable political landscape, enlightenment values and so on are all relevant.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:04 - Jan 25 with 1125 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:55 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

Obviously there was no global legal framework that we'd recognise now, but just FYI, it has never been cool to stroll in and steal a people's land, resources and occupy their government. There is no moral justification for this unless, maybe, you are deposing a tyrant who is threatening genocide. We have never done this, not even in WWII. Instead we have always occupied for our own wealth, and power.

You sound like a relativist who is excusing past atrocities because "it was back in the day". What exactly is the nuance I'm missing here? Your current argument is that empires that enslave, exploit, occupy and force mass starvations are OK because some of its citizens did some good inventions. Care to add more shades of grey?

You’re focussing obsessively on one isolated aspect (empire) of history and condemning a country on the back of that - whilst totally failing to consider the rule of law, personal freedoms and rights (including habaeus corpus), separation of powers, the abolition of slavery etc which were all well ahead of their time. In the mid C17, Britain achieved a political and legal settlement at a time when all other European nations were absolute monarchies, and Britain abolished slavery years before others. Empire and abuse of power are not traits particular to Britain, all powerful countries have sadly exhibited such behaviour which is why I asked you a question you can’t or won’t answer (and it’s ironic you say I’m lazy not reading your posts given my question is not a hard one) - what other countries, as you claim, haven’t invaded others or been at war and have made major contributions to progression as well? Name them.

The British empire wasn’t illegal and your portrayal of it suggests a limited understanding of it - the empire was never built on the foundation of genocide as were others - if Britain had wanted to wipe out tens of millions it would have done so given it had the means. By the standards of the day, the British empire was pretty benign. Look at how the Spanish, Portuguese etc operated.
Login to get fewer ads

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:18 - Jan 25 with 1109 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:55 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

You really do sound like a hackneyed Marxist. Your points are so unbelievably trite.

You’re also clearly not up to speed with even basic historic facts.

“ Instead we have always occupied for our own wealth, and power. ”

So explain how Britain’s wealth and power was helped by either world war, and what countries we invaded to occupy in either war.

You clearly are biased against this country. I assume either you’re a wind up merchant, a troll or pseudo Marxist, or just plain ignorant.

Suggest you do some reading, take a step back and get over your obsessive blinkered hate for this country. Or, feel free to get out of it if you don’t like it and go and live somewhere without the role of law, protections, and freedoms that you take for granted.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 17:24]
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:26 - Jan 25 with 1094 viewsjimmyvet

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:18 - Jan 25 by Oxford_Blue

You really do sound like a hackneyed Marxist. Your points are so unbelievably trite.

So explain how Britain’s wealth and power was helped by either world war, and what countries we invaded to occupy in either war.

You clearly are biased against this country. I assume either you’re a wind up merchant, a troll or pseudo Marxist, or just plain ignorant.

Suggest you do some reading, take a step back and get over your obsessive blinkered hate for this country. Or, feel free to get out of it if you don’t like it and go and live somewhere without the role of law, protections, and freedoms that you take for granted.

Don’t waste your breath on him seriously it’s pointless they hate their country always will just enjoy the football today and let him and the other student union Marxists enjoy their miserable lives.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:39 - Jan 25 with 1075 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:18 - Jan 25 by Oxford_Blue

How about you leave and make it a nicer country for non-tw@ts?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:50 - Jan 25 with 1057 viewsGaryCooper

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:39 - Jan 25 by BackToRussia

How about you leave and make it a nicer country for non-tw@ts?

What is your idealistic country?
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:50 - Jan 25 with 1057 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:26 - Jan 25 by jimmyvet

Don’t waste your breath on him seriously it’s pointless they hate their country always will just enjoy the football today and let him and the other student union Marxists enjoy their miserable lives.

You’re right. Good result today as you say.

Not worth wasting time on student politics and those who are so utterly polemic they can’t see the wood for the trees.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 18:58 - Jan 25 with 1004 viewsLord_Lucan

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 17:26 - Jan 25 by jimmyvet

To be fair I have known BTR since he was a wee lad and actually he is a very nice guy, I think I may have taken him to his first away game. There is no point in going over this as the views are so opposite. He has good taste in music and is a good egg.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 19:17 - Jan 25 with 987 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 18:58 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

To be fair I have known BTR since he was a wee lad and actually he is a very nice guy, I think I may have taken him to his first away game. There is no point in going over this as the views are so opposite. He has good taste in music and is a good egg.

His posts and views and attitude suggest he may need a guiding hand from you again
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 19:30 - Jan 25 with 973 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 19:17 - Jan 25 by Oxford_Blue

His posts and views and attitude suggest he may need a guiding hand from you again

Whilst at the same time you fawn over lazy, shallow nonsense like this:

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. by jimmyvet 25 Jan 2020 17:26

"Hate their country...Marxists..."

Who the feck is 'they' for a start?

Marxists. Good grief.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 19:31]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 20:22 - Jan 25 with 918 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 19:30 - Jan 25 by jeera

Whilst at the same time you fawn over lazy, shallow nonsense like this:

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. by jimmyvet 25 Jan 2020 17:26

"Hate their country...Marxists..."

Who the feck is 'they' for a start?

Marxists. Good grief.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 19:31]

Move on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024