Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man City v Fulham penalty question 13:54 - Jan 26 with 1931 viewsmanchego

Fulham bloke gives penalty away, clear scoring chance, gets sent off. City score.
Thing is, wasn't there a change in the rules about teams not being punished twice ?
( Penalty scored and down to 10 men )

I'm sure that was a thing.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 13:55 - Jan 26 with 1900 viewsJakeITFC

Only if it’s an attempt to win the ball.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 13:59 - Jan 26 with 1874 viewsmanchego

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 13:55 - Jan 26 by JakeITFC

Only if it’s an attempt to win the ball.

Is that what it was ?

It still seems OTT to get double punishment even if it was a crude grab on the player.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:07 - Jan 26 with 1839 viewsEastTownBlue

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 13:59 - Jan 26 by manchego

Is that what it was ?

It still seems OTT to get double punishment even if it was a crude grab on the player.

A grab is not seen as an attempt at winning the ball.

“Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.”
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:13 - Jan 26 with 1822 viewsmanchego

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:07 - Jan 26 by EastTownBlue

A grab is not seen as an attempt at winning the ball.

“Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.”

Yes I know the grab wasn't any kind of attempt to get the ball.
I'm just thinking it's still a double punishment.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:19 - Jan 26 with 1804 viewsEastTownBlue

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:13 - Jan 26 by manchego

The law is still better than it was but still double punishment in some circumstances. I suppose the thought process is to punish cynical play rather than genuine misjudgments.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:32 - Jan 26 with 1753 viewsmanchego

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:19 - Jan 26 by EastTownBlue

The law is still better than it was but still double punishment in some circumstances. I suppose the thought process is to punish cynical play rather than genuine misjudgments.

Yes it was cynical.
If the teams were evenly matched, 1 man down and 1-0 down after 6 mins seems a bit daft.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:37 - Jan 26 with 1746 viewsChateauWines

Its cheating and rule there to make penalty harsh enough not to do. Berra saving certain goal with hand against Norwich in play off, perfect point in question. Either way we concede a goal but we rightly lost player as well and the tie

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:39 - Jan 26 with 1740 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:32 - Jan 26 by manchego

Yes it was cynical.
If the teams were evenly matched, 1 man down and 1-0 down after 6 mins seems a bit daft.

That is more an issue of the different impact of when in a game a player is sent off.

The problem with not sending off the cynical deliberate professional foul is that every time the foul would be the right option. The penalty is more likely to be missed than the open goal. If the player is not sent off and the penalty is not scored, the professional foul has gained an unfair advantage.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 15:20 - Jan 26 with 1654 viewsTrequartista

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:37 - Jan 26 by ChateauWines

Its cheating and rule there to make penalty harsh enough not to do. Berra saving certain goal with hand against Norwich in play off, perfect point in question. Either way we concede a goal but we rightly lost player as well and the tie

They should probably change the law to just give a goal in that example as per the penalty try in rugger

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 15:57 - Jan 26 with 1591 viewsHerbivore

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 14:13 - Jan 26 by manchego

Rightly so. Somewhere between 70-80% of penalties are scored so if a player looks certain to score then the percentage thing to do is deliberately foul them and hope they miss the penalty. The red card for deliberately bringing someone down is perfectly fair to prevent that kind of thing from happening. It's harsh on someone who mistimes a tackle to get sent off, hence the rule change, but for me it's not harsh for someone who is looking to simply stop a side from scoring.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 16:56 - Jan 26 with 1512 viewsjaykay

this confuses me, if this rule was in force does the offending player waits on the byline, if the keepers saves the penalty .he then gets a red card. if the penalty is scored then he comes back on the pitch with a yellow card ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 17:02 - Jan 26 with 1489 viewsHerbivore

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 16:56 - Jan 26 by jaykay

this confuses me, if this rule was in force does the offending player waits on the byline, if the keepers saves the penalty .he then gets a red card. if the penalty is scored then he comes back on the pitch with a yellow card ?

No. I have no idea where you've got that from.

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 17:59 - Jan 26 with 1445 viewsjaykay

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 17:02 - Jan 26 by Herbivore

No. I have no idea where you've got that from.

err did you not see the ? mark. it was not a idea from me. the opening post was he thought there was a rule brought in which didnt punish a team twice. so i was asking how if was true , how do they implement it.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 19:10 - Jan 26 with 1389 viewsHerbivore

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 17:59 - Jan 26 by jaykay

err did you not see the ? mark. it was not a idea from me. the opening post was he thought there was a rule brought in which didnt punish a team twice. so i was asking how if was true , how do they implement it.

That's been covered in the rest of the thread.

Man City v Fulham penalty question on 20:02 - Jan 26 with 1330 viewsPecker

He made no attempt to play the ball, so it is a sending off. He deserved to go.
Man City v Fulham penalty question on 23:41 - Jan 26 with 1229 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The game was a waste of time and BBC's coverage was useless. A boring programme, the BBC used to be great at live football, now I find it more exciting to keep up to date with football livescore.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024