Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same problem we've had all season 21:44 - Feb 11 with 742 viewsDarth_Koont

There's really no connection between the midfield and attack.

Whether that's personnel or approach I'm not sure but you won't beat teams without showing some sort of fluency in attack.

Apart from that the rest of it looked fine. But of course pretty toothless.

Pronouns: He/Him

Same problem we've had all season on 21:46 - Feb 11 with 727 viewsIllinoisblue

Toothless and laboured. No threat, no cutting edge. No sustained pressure.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Same problem we've had all season on 21:48 - Feb 11 with 701 viewsjudespiveyg

It doesn't help that we lined up with just three attacking players. When was the last manager who wasn't afraid to actually go for it?

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Same problem we've had all season on 21:48 - Feb 11 with 690 viewspointofblue

Same problem we've had all season on 21:48 - Feb 11 by judespiveyg

It doesn't help that we lined up with just three attacking players. When was the last manager who wasn't afraid to actually go for it?

Paul Jewell?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Same problem we've had all season on 21:49 - Feb 11 with 680 viewsDarth_Koont

Same problem we've had all season on 21:48 - Feb 11 by judespiveyg

Mick probably.

He'd have had Waghorn, McGoldrick, Garner and Sears on the pitch against that lot.

Same problem we've had all season on 21:52 - Feb 11 with 655 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's even worse than that. The midfield don't bomb on to drag players out of position to allow space for the forwards. They seem to think they can pick some Xavi pass though the eye of a needle and the simple fact is they can't.

The wingbacks can't carry the ball so they stop and come back.

Both of these things mean that by the time we get near the box the other team has 9 players back and even Messi couldn't get through.

I've been a defender of Jackson but I feel he's not selfish enough - he needs to shoot when the chance is there but he keeps looking for some FIFA style pass and the perfect goal.

We aren't going anywhere until the root issues are sorted out and the main one is that if a team is ridiculously slow in the build-up then they aren't going to break down the other team regardless of the skill difference unless they are Liverpool etc.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Same problem we've had all season on 21:53 - Feb 11 with 637 viewsjudespiveyg

Same problem we've had all season on 21:49 - Feb 11 by Darth_Koont

Mick probably.

He'd have had Waghorn, McGoldrick, Garner and Sears on the pitch against that lot.

Problem was Skuse and Connolly were behind them so the fluency issues remained, neat technical players like Dobra and Dozzell are seemingly not trusted because they don't run around a lot.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Same problem we've had all season on 21:55 - Feb 11 with 609 viewsitfcjoe

We just have no pattern to our play, no one could tell you the sort of side we are.

We seemed to have spent a lot of the pre season learning to be a counter attack team (and actually did that well at the start of the season) but when you are one of the biggest teams in the league then the opposition just sit off you.

We don't press, we don't pass through the lines, no one can run with the ball - we just rely on set pieces to try and force something

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Same problem we've had all season on 22:03 - Feb 11 with 534 viewsDarth_Koont

Same problem we've had all season on 21:52 - Feb 11 by StokieBlue

I think it's even worse than that. The midfield don't bomb on to drag players out of position to allow space for the forwards. They seem to think they can pick some Xavi pass though the eye of a needle and the simple fact is they can't.

The wingbacks can't carry the ball so they stop and come back.

Both of these things mean that by the time we get near the box the other team has 9 players back and even Messi couldn't get through.

I've been a defender of Jackson but I feel he's not selfish enough - he needs to shoot when the chance is there but he keeps looking for some FIFA style pass and the perfect goal.

We aren't going anywhere until the root issues are sorted out and the main one is that if a team is ridiculously slow in the build-up then they aren't going to break down the other team regardless of the skill difference unless they are Liverpool etc.

SB

No, I agree and that's exactly what I mean by there being no connection between the midfield and attack.

We can neutralise attacks and collect the ball. We can probe forwards. We can spread play. But that urgency on the ball and control when it matters is missing.

I think Keane really helps us with that but not sure we're that drilled in playing off him. It's still so disconnected and random after a year.

Confidence is key and that's been an issue for a while but would be good to see the team set up to resolve that main problem. And that means focusing on players like Keane, Dozzell, Bishop and Huws who are very comfortable with the ball. Or a Dobra or El Mizouni.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024