Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains 12:09 - Apr 1 with 1062 viewsSteve_M

Actually some detail in here, like local newspaper used to manage.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/last-passenger-locomotive-in-east-anglia-1-6584993

What it doesn't say is that GA will still be running the really crappy trains alongside rail replacement buses at weekends for the next 20 years.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 14:48 - Apr 1 with 969 viewsGeoffSentence

I'm no train buff, but a couple of weeks ago, pre-lockdown, remember that?, I was in York with WifeSentence and being at a loose end on the afternoon we arrived we went to the Rail Museum. It wasn't a planned part of our weekend, and neither of us had particularly wanted to go, it was just a convenient way to while away some spare time. As it turned out, it was the best visit of the weekend, it was fascinating. Highly recommended post-lockdown.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 15:40 - Apr 1 with 950 viewsITFC_Forever

Some of the last in the country to go. Got to say I much prefer the slam-door trains to the new ones - the seats on the new ones are cheap and nasty, too upright and too hard.

This follows the demise of the Inter City 125s from Paddington last year, although they are still a common site in the West Country and on some cross-country routes. And I think possibly some of the Kings Cross routes, although I may be wrong on that.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 19:02 - Apr 1 with 867 viewsDebsyAngel

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 14:48 - Apr 1 by GeoffSentence

I'm no train buff, but a couple of weeks ago, pre-lockdown, remember that?, I was in York with WifeSentence and being at a loose end on the afternoon we arrived we went to the Rail Museum. It wasn't a planned part of our weekend, and neither of us had particularly wanted to go, it was just a convenient way to while away some spare time. As it turned out, it was the best visit of the weekend, it was fascinating. Highly recommended post-lockdown.

I visited the Rail Museum a couple of times when I was a kid and really into trains, with my Dad and Uncle. Went again with my husband on our honeymoon in York in 2018 and really enjoyed it and took lots of photos.
EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 19:05 - Apr 1 with 863 viewsFreddies_Ears

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 19:02 - Apr 1 by DebsyAngel

I visited the Rail Museum a couple of times when I was a kid and really into trains, with my Dad and Uncle. Went again with my husband on our honeymoon in York in 2018 and really enjoyed it and took lots of photos.

I went a couple of years ago, and the clock instantly turned back nearly half a century, as I became an 8 year-old kid again.
EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 19:11 - Apr 1 with 856 viewsDubtractor

I will wait an extra 30 minutes at Liverpool Street to avoid one of the god awful Great Eastern trains that go to every small town in Essex.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 08:35 - Apr 2 with 745 viewsSteve_M

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 19:05 - Apr 1 by Freddies_Ears

I went a couple of years ago, and the clock instantly turned back nearly half a century, as I became an 8 year-old kid again.

It's a really good museum. I went to a rail industry dinner there a few years back and most of the other people there were enormous train geeks getting very excited. I need to go back to there and York in general I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 09:00 - Apr 2 with 719 viewsRadlett_blue

EADT piece on the retirement of Greater Anglia's old trains on 15:40 - Apr 1 by ITFC_Forever

Some of the last in the country to go. Got to say I much prefer the slam-door trains to the new ones - the seats on the new ones are cheap and nasty, too upright and too hard.

This follows the demise of the Inter City 125s from Paddington last year, although they are still a common site in the West Country and on some cross-country routes. And I think possibly some of the Kings Cross routes, although I may be wrong on that.

Same with the new trains on Thameslink. The rolling stock is well engineered and much to like about it, but the franchisee clearly went for the cheapest available option inside so the seats are hard & very uncomfortable. Not much love from me for the rail franchise companies now pleading for taxpayer assistance!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024