Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season 13:49 - Apr 24 with 1535 viewsnodge_blue

It seems pretty apparent now that social distancing is going to be here for at least the next year. On that basis there isnt going to be football being watched in stadiums is there? I cant see a viable scenario where social distancing of 2 metres is going to allow for that. (though if our attendances keep falling you never know!).

So that could mean a season of watching on tv. Which is probably fine for the premier league as sky PL payments are big enough to support them. But at league 1 level we know thats not the case.

The season ticket letter from ME is suggesting that we would watch it at home - and that the season ticket cost will be ok for that. But realistically is that viable? Even if we get all the existing ST holder to renew and become subscribers - thats no way enough money to cover current running costs? The loss of other match day revenue and commercial money will remain.

And in addition, even if we could make that work, how many other league 1 clubs could do the same? We cant even guarantee a league next year of viable football clubs.

So are we going to renew season tickets on that basis? It seems a huge leap into the dark. I may well out of loyalty and trying to keep my football club going - more than I expect to see a season of entertainment.

I think we need to have all league 1 players take pay cuts to the amount of revenue that the club can generate. They should be shown the books as such and told look our income now is only 50% (or whatever) and therefore we need you to take that as a cut in your wages.

How many would be open to that? Legally non enforceable. But without that I can only see administration for many clubs.

There are bigger things going on than football. But I cant help but think that the future of the club as we know it must be in the balance?

Am I being overly pessimistic? Happy to be told otherwise.....

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Next season on 14:02 - Apr 24 with 1486 viewsNotSure

Well your first sentence is wrong (or at least that doesn't have to be the case).
We need to stop social distancing in the next few weeks and go back to a policy of washing hands and staying home if you have a cold.
And then lets see what next Winter brings.
Next season on 15:06 - Apr 24 with 1418 viewsnodge_blue

Next season on 14:02 - Apr 24 by NotSure

Well your first sentence is wrong (or at least that doesn't have to be the case).
We need to stop social distancing in the next few weeks and go back to a policy of washing hands and staying home if you have a cold.
And then lets see what next Winter brings.

I think we are edging towards not being able to have gatherings until a successful vaccine has been fully tested and rolled out. Which will be about a year at best. So whilst the lock down may ease in the next few weeks, I doubt social distancing will.

Next season on 17:04 - Apr 24 with 1344 viewssundaze

If social distancing is here for another year, then there will be no football played at all.
How would it be possible to play football without going within 2 metres of another player?

No defensive walls, no man to man marking at set pieces, no tackles and best of all, no playing for time, keeping the ball in the corners of the pitch near the end of a match.

Subs would have to be sat in the main stand, strung out the length of the pitch, managers tech areas would have to be changed, otherwise the assistant refs wouldn't be able to run past them and injuries would have to be treated by staff in full PPE.

Team sports will be the last to return to normal if social distancing is here for the long term.
Next season on 17:06 - Apr 24 with 1334 viewsPecker

If we keep Lambert as manager, there will be plenty of room at Portman Road. You will have a stand all to yourself.
Next season on 17:08 - Apr 24 with 1329 viewsPecker

Next season on 17:04 - Apr 24 by sundaze

If social distancing is here for another year, then there will be no football played at all.
How would it be possible to play football without going within 2 metres of another player?

No defensive walls, no man to man marking at set pieces, no tackles and best of all, no playing for time, keeping the ball in the corners of the pitch near the end of a match.

Subs would have to be sat in the main stand, strung out the length of the pitch, managers tech areas would have to be changed, otherwise the assistant refs wouldn't be able to run past them and injuries would have to be treated by staff in full PPE.

Team sports will be the last to return to normal if social distancing is here for the long term.

That sounds like a Lambert team talk.
Next season on 17:12 - Apr 24 with 1322 viewsnodge_blue

Next season on 17:04 - Apr 24 by sundaze

I think I read somewhere that one idea will be to test all staff to get a clean bill of health, before every game.

Next season on 17:13 - Apr 24 with 1320 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be honest, if the season ticket is reasonably priced and means we can watch matches at home (especially away ones too), I would probably buy one. I don't now mainly for the cost and time prohibitions involved in going to matches. It just isn't feasible for me to attend more than a few matches but if I could watch at home I would.

I wonder how many others would be in that position. I also wonder how many wouldn't sign up because I recognise it is nothing like the same experience as when you do go to a game.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Next season on 17:15 - Apr 24 with 1307 viewsPecker

Next season on 17:13 - Apr 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

To be honest, if the season ticket is reasonably priced and means we can watch matches at home (especially away ones too), I would probably buy one. I don't now mainly for the cost and time prohibitions involved in going to matches. It just isn't feasible for me to attend more than a few matches but if I could watch at home I would.

I wonder how many others would be in that position. I also wonder how many wouldn't sign up because I recognise it is nothing like the same experience as when you do go to a game.

At this moment of time, I will take any live football anywhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season on 19:39 - Apr 24 with 1201 viewsThe_Last_Baron

It's clear that if football is played next season, half of the games if not all will be with no crowd. Which for me isn't really football.

Anyway, the club needs to get money in so the obvious answer is to provide online coverage way beyond what you'd expect.

Let's give fans the option of watching the game from different stands with at least four options on offer. Get the manager to give an exclusive half time interview, get players interviewed before the game, another player interviewed as he comes off the pitch at half time.

Stream the press conference live after the game, get a couple of ex players and a presenter to add some analysis at half and full time.

The revenue lost in merchandise, food, beer, programmes is going to be huge. Giving fans something extra is a must to get them to part with their cash.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Next season on 20:51 - Apr 24 with 1143 viewsmonty_radio

If the Town midfield and strikers keep as far apart as they've already been practising, we should be O.K.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024