Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning 11:55 - Apr 25 with 2156 viewsNthsuffolkblue

They have set up a bursary fund to give grants to families to ensure their children receive and benefit from all the school offers.

I guess they must be high on the priority of some people's needs.

EDIT: Just to clarify this is to help towards school fees for the Trinity term.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 11:56]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:29 - Apr 25 with 2088 viewsPJH

Woodbridge School?

I did too.
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:31 - Apr 25 with 2085 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:29 - Apr 25 by PJH

Woodbridge School?

I did too.

I am sure there are many who will contribute.

I only hope that anyone who sees that as a worthy cause in the current times will contribute far more heavily to foodbanks and other charitable causes where people are in need of basics they cannot get for free from the state anyway.

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:32 - Apr 25 with 2076 viewsfactual_blue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:29 - Apr 25 by PJH

Woodbridge School?

I did too.

I hope nick griffin will be making a generous donation.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:37 - Apr 25 with 2066 viewsPJH

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:31 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

I only hope that anyone who sees that as a worthy cause in the current times will contribute far more heavily to foodbanks and other charitable causes where people are in need of basics they cannot get for free from the state anyway.

Certainly, my letter is in the recycling bin.

I agree that any spare cash that anyone wants to donate should go to people that actually need it.
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:43 - Apr 25 with 2051 viewsEwan_Oozami

Mrs Oozami is an OW - she gets comms regularly - hasn't got this one yet but I suspect she'll say the same thing she always does, ie, that the only thing school taught her was that she should never be trusted with a lacrosse stick....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:56 - Apr 25 with 2017 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:43 - Apr 25 by Ewan_Oozami

Mrs Oozami is an OW - she gets comms regularly - hasn't got this one yet but I suspect she'll say the same thing she always does, ie, that the only thing school taught her was that she should never be trusted with a lacrosse stick....

I learned an awful lot there. Much of which I am truly grateful for. However, socially what I learnt there I had to do an awful lot of learning beyond it very quickly after leaving.

May I ask what years Mrs Oozami was there? I think PJH predates me by some distance.

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:00 - Apr 25 with 2005 viewsPJH

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:56 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

I learned an awful lot there. Much of which I am truly grateful for. However, socially what I learnt there I had to do an awful lot of learning beyond it very quickly after leaving.

May I ask what years Mrs Oozami was there? I think PJH predates me by some distance.

The nearest thing to a female when I was there was a couple of the masters!

I was there from 1962-1968 but I did not enjoy it too much-got English Literature 'O' level though, plus four more.
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:01 - Apr 25 with 1999 viewsGuthrum

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:31 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

All true. But it's an indication of the straitened circumstances under which even publicly-funded institutions have been operating, that they are desperately in need of extra funds to provide ordinary services.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:03 - Apr 25 with 1989 viewsmonytowbray

Tell him no one gets anywhere with handouts. He needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps and stop buying avocados.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:04 - Apr 25 with 1987 viewsBeckets

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:00 - Apr 25 by PJH

The nearest thing to a female when I was there was a couple of the masters!

I was there from 1962-1968 but I did not enjoy it too much-got English Literature 'O' level though, plus four more.

I was at the Abbey between 1965 - 1968 and got a scholarship to the Main School. Haven’t had a letter!
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:16 - Apr 25 with 1964 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:01 - Apr 25 by Guthrum

All true. But it's an indication of the straitened circumstances under which even publicly-funded institutions have been operating, that they are desperately in need of extra funds to provide ordinary services.

It is a private school.

The fund is to help those who cannot afford their fees.

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:18 - Apr 25 with 1951 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:04 - Apr 25 by Beckets

I was at the Abbey between 1965 - 1968 and got a scholarship to the Main School. Haven’t had a letter!

You will if you are registered as an OW. If you are not, they will be very appreciative if you join them, especially if you then contribute financially as well.

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 14:32 - Apr 25 with 1883 viewsEwan_Oozami

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 12:56 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

She was there 77-83 - interestingly when we were looking at schools for the younger Oozamis in 2008, we looked at both Woodbridge and Farlingaye - when Mrs O walked through the classrooms, she said that an awful lot of decor and equipment hadn't changed since she was there - we saved our money and they went to Farlingaye!

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 14:48 - Apr 25 with 1860 viewsPJH

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 14:32 - Apr 25 by Ewan_Oozami

She was there 77-83 - interestingly when we were looking at schools for the younger Oozamis in 2008, we looked at both Woodbridge and Farlingaye - when Mrs O walked through the classrooms, she said that an awful lot of decor and equipment hadn't changed since she was there - we saved our money and they went to Farlingaye!

I wish that I had gone to Farlingaye.

I was proud that I passed the eleven plus and the entrance exam to Woodbridge School but I did not enjoy it very much.

Partly my own fault and personality at that time but I am sure that I would have been much happier at Farlingaye (could have played football for a start) plus I don't think I would have suffered too much educationally. I ended up with 5 'O' levels but may have got those from Farlingaye except maybe the English Literature one.
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 15:52 - Apr 25 with 1790 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 14:32 - Apr 25 by Ewan_Oozami

I wise choice I would say. She would not have overlapped with me or my siblings.

Farlingaye has been a very good school for a long time now. You also have Kesgrave just up the road or Thomas Mills a little further south. I really can't see why someone would spend the money on it personally.

I remember someone arguing a while back that the quality of education must be better because it is paid for. Their argument is anything anyone will pay more money for must be better. I didn't quite get that. Does it mean the Coca-Cola at a football ground for £2.50 is much better than the Coca-Cola from the supermarket for £1?

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 16:32 - Apr 25 with 1760 viewsEwan_Oozami

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 15:52 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

I wise choice I would say. She would not have overlapped with me or my siblings.

Farlingaye has been a very good school for a long time now. You also have Kesgrave just up the road or Thomas Mills a little further south. I really can't see why someone would spend the money on it personally.

I remember someone arguing a while back that the quality of education must be better because it is paid for. Their argument is anything anyone will pay more money for must be better. I didn't quite get that. Does it mean the Coca-Cola at a football ground for £2.50 is much better than the Coca-Cola from the supermarket for £1?

The money buys you a lottery ticket to the Old Boy (or Girl) network if you want it...

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 17:08 - Apr 25 with 1726 viewsGuthrum

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 13:16 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

It is a private school.

The fund is to help those who cannot afford their fees.

Ah.

Tho that was the original raison d'etre of private/public schools, to give a subsidised education to those who could not afford it, in days before the state system. It's why they often have charitable status.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 17:58 - Apr 25 with 1695 viewsswede

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 14:48 - Apr 25 by PJH

I wish that I had gone to Farlingaye.

I was proud that I passed the eleven plus and the entrance exam to Woodbridge School but I did not enjoy it very much.

Partly my own fault and personality at that time but I am sure that I would have been much happier at Farlingaye (could have played football for a start) plus I don't think I would have suffered too much educationally. I ended up with 5 'O' levels but may have got those from Farlingaye except maybe the English Literature one.

I received the same letter and was quite surprised to hear of their financial problems.

Like you I passed the 11 plus to go to Woodbridge School and it is an experience that I don't look back on with fondness. I really only enjoyed the last two years when I was in the 6th form. As a boy from the council estate I was regularly mocked and bullied by boys from wealthier families in the school. Unfortunately too, I was bullied and beaten by Farlingaye boys from the village as I was now a "Grammar Cap".

My siblings went to Farlingaye which did not have a very good record back then (1969-76). I believe they did CSE's rather than GCE O'Levels.

I got English Literature too. I bet PR could not believe it!
Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 18:17 - Apr 25 with 1673 viewsmonytowbray

The problem we have is education is now a business and operates as such. Universities are some of the worst functioning in that regard. Hence why there’s so many Desmond media degrees out there for people who end up doing an entirely different line of work*

*It me.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 18:32 - Apr 25 with 1660 viewsPJH

Had a begging letter from my old school this morning on 17:58 - Apr 25 by swede

I received the same letter and was quite surprised to hear of their financial problems.

Like you I passed the 11 plus to go to Woodbridge School and it is an experience that I don't look back on with fondness. I really only enjoyed the last two years when I was in the 6th form. As a boy from the council estate I was regularly mocked and bullied by boys from wealthier families in the school. Unfortunately too, I was bullied and beaten by Farlingaye boys from the village as I was now a "Grammar Cap".

My siblings went to Farlingaye which did not have a very good record back then (1969-76). I believe they did CSE's rather than GCE O'Levels.

I got English Literature too. I bet PR could not believe it!

Yeah PR was a...um character wasn't he?

Seems like your experiences of Woodbridge School were much like mine except I didn't do sixth form but took 'O' levels twice-except for the two that I passed first time of course.

I am sure that academically Farlingaye was not as good back then as it has been in more recent times, as you say.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024