Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we get close to the 100k tests shortly 07:16 - May 1 with 1866 viewsbluelagos

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-51768274

We will have done a million tests nationally. Not bad eh, and nearly a third as many as South Africa* have managed.

Who wanted to go to the pub, on holiday, see their friends, watch the footie...

*According to a report on Newsnight last night, they have done 3m screenings. Will leave original text as that would ruin the flow.

**Screenings include temp tests (cheers Guthers)
[Post edited 1 May 2020 8:34]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If we get close to theb 100k tests shortly on 08:59 - May 1 with 609 viewsSteve_M

If we get close to theb 100k tests shortly on 08:43 - May 1 by bluelagos

Ref a firmer lockdown. I am a firm beleiver in liberty. And I firmly believe there are huge issues with the lockdown on top of the financial aspects.

But this lockdown seems to be dragging on and we have seen a peak, and are we going to be like this for months?

So had we said 6 weeks total lockdown and then we all get out, that might be preferable to 6 months of ongoing...(all hypotheticals)

Anyhow, the answer is 'fiik'.

Although I remain firmly of the belief we should be getting outside for exercise. I suspect shopping is a far bigger issue ref social distancing and I wonder if we could do more to get the food to people's homes rather than them having to go to the shops? Food parcels packed and delivered? Milkman or volunteers go house to house weekly?

On the point about passing the peak, we have but a few more weeks of lockdown with an R number below 1 will reduce the prevalence of the virus in the population further, either because patients recover or because they die. We probably need that as well as better contact tracing before a significant easing.

What's that mean another month at least probably?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 09:38 - May 1 with 588 viewsElephantintheRoom

As with just about everything else the government is using testing for the polar opposite reason that it should be used - and one that might actually be contributing to infections.

So far, outside of hospitals, the priority has been to test 'key workers' who think they might have had the disease or been in contct with the disease so they can go back to work.... and latterly to create a spurious target

That is utterly pointless because anyone can catch this at any time....even at adrive through testing centre. The only sensible use of the current tests is to establish infection - and isolate the carrier and all contacts.

Conclusion - the government is seeking 'herd immunity' by the back door.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:04 - May 1 with 549 viewsColin_Viljoen

Went off to Stanstead today with the wife for covid-19 testing, she's a nurse in a care home where there have been several deaths.
Very quick process, with no waiting, just need to wait 48hrs for the results!
If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:10 - May 1 with 546 viewsBLUEGOLD

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:04 - May 1 by Colin_Viljoen

Went off to Stanstead today with the wife for covid-19 testing, she's a nurse in a care home where there have been several deaths.
Very quick process, with no waiting, just need to wait 48hrs for the results!

Testing at my other half’s hospital was offered to all staff on Wednesday and yesterday and about 500 staff were tested each day.

They are trying to hit the target to say that it was hit.

They won’t keep up the numbers afterwards though.
If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:20 - May 1 with 531 viewsLord_Lucan

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 08:07 - May 1 by Guthrum

Testing on its own does nothing, merely tells you how many people currently have the illness. It's what you do with the data. If you can use it to isolate cases and as many of their contacts as possible, then that will limit the spread. But that becomes less and less practical the more cases you have, the larger your population and the more densely located.

Germany is an odd one. They haven't particularly limited the spread of Covid, they have just - so far - had an unusually low mortality rate. However, that has begun to rise significantly in the last few days. There is some suspicion that they may have previously had a less dangerous strain prevalant in the country, but now getting outbreaks of one more similar to Italy/Spain/the UK.

This is very interesting, some professor was on the radio a couple of days ago suggesting that different countries have had different strains - which to be honest a dumbo like me can't fathom how.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:22 - May 1 with 531 viewsSwansea_Blue

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 09:38 - May 1 by ElephantintheRoom

As with just about everything else the government is using testing for the polar opposite reason that it should be used - and one that might actually be contributing to infections.

So far, outside of hospitals, the priority has been to test 'key workers' who think they might have had the disease or been in contct with the disease so they can go back to work.... and latterly to create a spurious target

That is utterly pointless because anyone can catch this at any time....even at adrive through testing centre. The only sensible use of the current tests is to establish infection - and isolate the carrier and all contacts.

Conclusion - the government is seeking 'herd immunity' by the back door.

If they're doing it by the back door, maybe that's why they only need single gloves and not pairs?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:33 - May 1 with 518 viewsElderGrizzly

They’ve just announced they have changed the way they calculate tests carried out per day to include those sent out by post, but not received back for processing.

50,000 a day...

Interestingly it is what the USA did 2 days before their target was missed too.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 16:34]
If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:55 - May 1 with 509 viewsBloomBlue

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:33 - May 1 by ElderGrizzly

They’ve just announced they have changed the way they calculate tests carried out per day to include those sent out by post, but not received back for processing.

50,000 a day...

Interestingly it is what the USA did 2 days before their target was missed too.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 16:34]

But surely a test is a test isn't it?

Or are home tests different ?
Login to get fewer ads

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 18:35 - May 1 with 472 viewsElderGrizzly

If we get close to the 100k tests shortly on 16:55 - May 1 by BloomBlue

But surely a test is a test isn't it?

Or are home tests different ?

It is. But they are counting what is sent out, not what is returned.

122,000 tests of which 50,000+ haven’t been carried out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024