Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here's a question 19:58 - May 21 with 1475 viewsclive_baker

Typical housing stock (excluding flats and bungalows) has living space downstairs and bedrooms upstairs innit, from my experience. Would you be put off buying a house with a downstairs bedroom(s)? Perhaps your bedroom is downstairs? Is it weird? I can see some benefits to it, but it's something that I feel a little uneasy about.

Lock down life has had me assessing some options which has prompted this.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Here's a question on 20:05 - May 21 with 1437 viewsgiant_stow

It all depends if the view upstaits is special enough to not waste on sleeping, i reckon. Sone houses it makes perfect sense.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Here's a question on 20:07 - May 21 with 1437 viewsJ2BLUE

When I lived with my parents my bedroom was right in line with the front door which led to everyone who came round 'just saying hello' to me. Personally I dislike bedrooms downstairs (this was a bungalow).

Funny you mention lockdown making you reassess. I have decided I want a house with a decent and private garden. I have a little garden at the moment which is all paved and lacks any privacy from other gardens around here.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Here's a question on 20:10 - May 21 with 1431 viewsitfcjoe

There are certain cases where it makes sense, i.e. if street level and garden level are very different so flipping them makes more sense. Or if there is a stunning view/balcony which would be best admired from a living rather than sleeping area.

Other than that I'd say no, even when I've had friends in townhouses with kitchens on an upper floor it is a pain dragging bin bags up and down (no doubt with the odd leak) and it just doesn't feel right.

At a house I lived in with my parents before demolishing it only had 2 bed upstairs and 1 downstairs, and I had the downstairs one and that was fine because it was temporary and I was living there whilst on uni holidays at 19 so was handy for when I went out, but was a pain on other occasions when parent shad friends round and it felt like they were in my room they were so close by! So maybe with older kids it can work having bedroom on a different floor.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's a question on 20:33 - May 21 with 1367 viewsSteve_M

I live in a second floor flat with a decent, if unspectacular, view from my living room. I was thinking the other week that I'm glad I do given the amount of time I've spent in this room over the last few weeks. I had a preference for air and light over a tiny garden and limited light after one bad flat choice years ago.

A long-winded way of saying I think there's a certain logic to your suggestion, indeed back in the golden age of council housing Camden Council did build some houses designed like that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Road_Estate

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Here's a question on 21:06 - May 21 with 1324 viewsgiant_stow

Here's a question on 20:33 - May 21 by Steve_M

I live in a second floor flat with a decent, if unspectacular, view from my living room. I was thinking the other week that I'm glad I do given the amount of time I've spent in this room over the last few weeks. I had a preference for air and light over a tiny garden and limited light after one bad flat choice years ago.

A long-winded way of saying I think there's a certain logic to your suggestion, indeed back in the golden age of council housing Camden Council did build some houses designed like that:

When flat hunting years back i looked around one or two pf those. Absolutely lovely inside - slidings doors, massive windows, 60s-70s style (i dont know my architectural ages) original features well maintained. The only issue was those lovely big balconies all stared right at each other.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Here's a question on 21:28 - May 21 with 1291 viewsronnyd

Also used a lot in T/V dramas as well.
Here's a question on 21:34 - May 21 with 1287 viewsfooters

Love walking through there. Those houses are beautiful, imo. Show what can be done with imagination and not just a cookie cutter.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Here's a question on 21:43 - May 21 with 1252 viewsSteve_M

Here's a question on 21:34 - May 21 by footers

Love walking through there. Those houses are beautiful, imo. Show what can be done with imagination and not just a cookie cutter.

Yes, Neave Brown was a visionary. Have you walked round Branch Hill? It's impossibly hidden away before Hampstead and I found it by chance once. A different approach but equally well thought out.

More here:

https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/tag/neave-brown/

Login to get fewer ads

Here's a question on 21:45 - May 21 with 1247 viewsSteve_M

Here's a question on 21:06 - May 21 by giant_stow

When flat hunting years back i looked around one or two pf those. Absolutely lovely inside - slidings doors, massive windows, 60s-70s style (i dont know my architectural ages) original features well maintained. The only issue was those lovely big balconies all stared right at each other.

You got to go round one? Fascinating places from the outside, see the link I posted to Footers below.

Here's a question on 21:47 - May 21 with 1238 viewsclive_baker

Here's a question on 20:10 - May 21 by itfcjoe

There are certain cases where it makes sense, i.e. if street level and garden level are very different so flipping them makes more sense. Or if there is a stunning view/balcony which would be best admired from a living rather than sleeping area.

Other than that I'd say no, even when I've had friends in townhouses with kitchens on an upper floor it is a pain dragging bin bags up and down (no doubt with the odd leak) and it just doesn't feel right.

At a house I lived in with my parents before demolishing it only had 2 bed upstairs and 1 downstairs, and I had the downstairs one and that was fine because it was temporary and I was living there whilst on uni holidays at 19 so was handy for when I went out, but was a pain on other occasions when parent shad friends round and it felt like they were in my room they were so close by! So maybe with older kids it can work having bedroom on a different floor.

That's interesting that you mention the noise from the living spaces. It's practical things like that that I'm playing through in my head. I grew up in Suffolk but now I live and work in London, I've been here the best part of 10 years and have a nice 2 bed flat in a decent area. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to wfh a lot, and with my wife being a nurse within the NHS she could easily move. Coronavirus has been tough, as it has for a lot of people. My wife is based in St George's and a combination of factors have prompted us to consider moving back to Suffolk. My work have said WFH will continue to be an option for whoever wants it. Suddenly the prospect of moving 'back home' is realistic, and we're keen to be closer to my parents who aren't getting any younger.

I've been looking online and it's weird, I'm writing off properties with downstairs bedrooms, even though I've spent the last 5 years living in a flat! The one I really like has stuck a really nice single storey extension on the back (presumably restricted by planning) which has resulted in the master bedroom being downstairs to get them the 3rd bedroom, with the other 2 upstairs in the original part of the house. I dismissed it on that basis initially, as it just felt weird to have a downstairs bedroom in a 3 bed house. But I'm now wondering if I'm being silly.

Here's a question on 22:34 - May 21 with 1167 viewsitfcjoe

Here's a question on 21:47 - May 21 by clive_baker

That's interesting that you mention the noise from the living spaces. It's practical things like that that I'm playing through in my head. I grew up in Suffolk but now I live and work in London, I've been here the best part of 10 years and have a nice 2 bed flat in a decent area. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to wfh a lot, and with my wife being a nurse within the NHS she could easily move. Coronavirus has been tough, as it has for a lot of people. My wife is based in St George's and a combination of factors have prompted us to consider moving back to Suffolk. My work have said WFH will continue to be an option for whoever wants it. Suddenly the prospect of moving 'back home' is realistic, and we're keen to be closer to my parents who aren't getting any younger.

I've been looking online and it's weird, I'm writing off properties with downstairs bedrooms, even though I've spent the last 5 years living in a flat! The one I really like has stuck a really nice single storey extension on the back (presumably restricted by planning) which has resulted in the master bedroom being downstairs to get them the 3rd bedroom, with the other 2 upstairs in the original part of the house. I dismissed it on that basis initially, as it just felt weird to have a downstairs bedroom in a 3 bed house. But I'm now wondering if I'm being silly.

The only thing I would say in that respect is with a little one being on a different floor would be a pain - I don't think my missus would even consider that as you seem far away.

I think the house you describe would end up being a pain personally, and think often when houses bill a bedroom downstairs it's just a way to try and make it look worth more to the estate agents. I could say mine has an extra bedroom due to having a big study downstairs with an en suite but it doesn't feel right.......think I'd miss the privacy having it alongside the living quarters if a master bedroom there.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's a question on 22:46 - May 21 with 1144 viewsclive_baker

Here's a question on 22:34 - May 21 by itfcjoe

The only thing I would say in that respect is with a little one being on a different floor would be a pain - I don't think my missus would even consider that as you seem far away.

I think the house you describe would end up being a pain personally, and think often when houses bill a bedroom downstairs it's just a way to try and make it look worth more to the estate agents. I could say mine has an extra bedroom due to having a big study downstairs with an en suite but it doesn't feel right.......think I'd miss the privacy having it alongside the living quarters if a master bedroom there.

Yeah, I think I'm inclined to agree. All valid points.

Here's a question on 23:50 - May 21 with 1105 viewsgiant_stow

Here's a question on 21:43 - May 21 by Steve_M

Yes, Neave Brown was a visionary. Have you walked round Branch Hill? It's impossibly hidden away before Hampstead and I found it by chance once. A different approach but equally well thought out.

More here:

https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/tag/neave-brown/

That link and site are brilliant!

The flats we looked around were surprisingly affordable - only a touch more than any other estate really, so gi have a nose when one comes on the matket!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024