Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League season 2020/21 15:41 - Jul 5 with 1466 viewshector_clifford

As many have said, it seems likely that a lot of clubs in league one won't want to be playing again until they can fill a more significant percentage of their stadium capacity.
It depends what you class as a significant amount, but that surely won't be possible until a vaccine is available.
I know we are all hopeful, that one will be ready very very soon, but many scientists and doctors seem to be saying that the second half of 2021 is more likely.
This would cover the whole of next season.
We can't have another situation with endless EFL meetings and votes like last time that will drag on and on
Clubs rightly have their own agendas and finances to look after, but there will be clubs that do want to play, and that can afford to play with a small percentage of fans allowed in,plus other revenue streams like ifollow.
Perhaps an idea, could be that if you are a club in league one or two, and you want to play, and can prove that you can afford to play, and demonstrate that you can keep your fans safe in and around your stadium, then league one and two are amalgamated into one league for next season.
If you don't want to play, by a certain date ,e.g. August 1st then 2020/21 is abandoned for you.
I'm sure there may be a good take up in league 2, with the opportunity available to jump 2 divisions in one season.
I just thought that this could be a way to get football, at our level, going again, even though I understand it is unfair on the smaller clubs.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

League season 2020/21 on 15:45 - Jul 5 with 1435 viewsgtsb1966

If there are no spectators next season we won't have a league anyway because we won't have any clubs. I'm surprised some haven't gone under already.
League season 2020/21 on 16:26 - Jul 5 with 1310 viewsmarcus1642

League season 2020/21 on 15:45 - Jul 5 by gtsb1966

If there are no spectators next season we won't have a league anyway because we won't have any clubs. I'm surprised some haven't gone under already.

I think furlough is keeping many clubs afloat in leagues 1 and 2. The furlough scheme can't go on indefinitely, and I think I read somewhere that October is mooted as a cut off point.

Does anybody know how the non-league is coping?
League season 2020/21 on 17:06 - Jul 5 with 1248 viewsSwansea_Blue

That’s an interesting idea. It’s highly unlikely we’ll have a full, normal season so they may as well look at other options. I suppose it all depends on numbers who can afford to play without crowds - there may not be enough for even a combined league.

There’s enough money in the game of course, just all being hoarded in the PL. some redistribution of tv money would be good for a year, but I can’t see that happening unfortunately.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

League season 2020/21 on 10:35 - Jul 6 with 993 viewsOldsmoker

I'm starting to think that the format for next season may well come from an idea proposed by a fan or an Oxford professor or a club.
I'm not convinced that the EFL will be the innovators.
The EFL will want to get back to 'business as normal' which is rather daft looking at the football landscape at the moment.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

League season 2020/21 on 11:22 - Jul 6 with 952 viewsITFC_Forever

I was having this discussion via text with a mate who supports Stoke, who given their position in the Champ is keeping a nervous eye on what is happening in L1 (although I think they'll be fine - Luton and Barnsley are running out of time to put a run together and the shambles at Wigan will ensure they take the third spot).

But clubs in L1 will have different agendas depending on their relative size, and given that the League allowed the L1 season to be voted off as clubs couldn't afford to play, this will set a precedent to allow those clubs to demand the new season doesn't start until there are no restrictions on crowds - which could be Spring 2021 given there's a decent chance of a second wave in the colder months.

It is very possible 2020-21 simply doesn't happen if clubs can't afford to play unless it's with unrestricted crowds.

If clubs are given permission to play with 33% of capacity only, clubs that regularly get a high % fill of the stadium (most of them) than this will mean them losing money (vs what they would get if there was no restriction) which clubs won't go for.

My mate suggested a 23 game season from Christmas - but no club is going to agree to that as they won't be able to afford 50% of ST money.

The whole situation is a minefield and no answer is going to please everyone.... I can genuinely see no football at all at L1 / L2 level next season.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

League season 2020/21 on 11:46 - Jul 6 with 907 viewstractorboy1978

League season 2020/21 on 11:22 - Jul 6 by ITFC_Forever

I was having this discussion via text with a mate who supports Stoke, who given their position in the Champ is keeping a nervous eye on what is happening in L1 (although I think they'll be fine - Luton and Barnsley are running out of time to put a run together and the shambles at Wigan will ensure they take the third spot).

But clubs in L1 will have different agendas depending on their relative size, and given that the League allowed the L1 season to be voted off as clubs couldn't afford to play, this will set a precedent to allow those clubs to demand the new season doesn't start until there are no restrictions on crowds - which could be Spring 2021 given there's a decent chance of a second wave in the colder months.

It is very possible 2020-21 simply doesn't happen if clubs can't afford to play unless it's with unrestricted crowds.

If clubs are given permission to play with 33% of capacity only, clubs that regularly get a high % fill of the stadium (most of them) than this will mean them losing money (vs what they would get if there was no restriction) which clubs won't go for.

My mate suggested a 23 game season from Christmas - but no club is going to agree to that as they won't be able to afford 50% of ST money.

The whole situation is a minefield and no answer is going to please everyone.... I can genuinely see no football at all at L1 / L2 level next season.

Player wages are the big expense for all clubs and whether there is football being played or not, clubs are going to have to pay their contracted players still once furlough is over. If they can't then they will breach contracts, players will leave and they will have to rebuild with kids/cheaper players or they will go out of business. Once furlough ends, mothballing the club isn't an option.

The best thing they can do is try to kickstart revenue streams again and playing football is the be all and end all in that regard - whether it be getting limited fans into stadiums, iFollow income, shirt sponsorship, other sponsorship, retail. Financial support is going to have to be given to clubs for testing etc.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 11:48]
League season 2020/21 on 12:30 - Jul 6 with 841 viewsLankHenners

The Utopian vision here is that those in the game that have all the money help out those that don't so League 1 and 2 clubs can afford to play games with no or limited crowds.

Sadly, and very worryingly, I increasingly fear we'll see the nightmare scenario - clubs will vote to put the start of the season on hold which will see the Premiership and Championship break off from the rest of us.

Even if full crowds were allowed back in 'the new year' (which is vague and highly ambitious), it would be a tall order to complete a full fixture list in just a few months, with several clubs surely to point out they don't have the squad depth to cope with it. Unless the season ran through January-August, but then we're still playing catch-up with the leagues above. Unless the PL and EFL decided to copy that calendar so not to disrupt the following season for the Winter World Cup. Any permutation of all that is incredibly tricky to organise without something or someone losing out at some place down the line.

If there was a way to allow clubs to broadcast all the matches over their own iFollow channels, that could help get some money in, though if, say, 3 or 4 people from a household would buy tickets for a match, in that scenario they'd essentially only be buying 1 ticket which would be money lost for the club. Probably some broadcasting rights and restrictions in the way of that as well.

Ah well, well done Town on managing to get relegated at the worst time possible then make a pathetic attempt at getting out of the mess they'd found themselves in.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024