Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hancock on masks in offices 11:25 - Jul 15 with 2275 viewssparks

Is there a shred of scientific basis to his assertions? They sound entirely pragmatic and economic to me- but he asserts otherwise...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:06 - Jul 15 with 427 viewsSteve_M

Hancock on masks in offices on 13:38 - Jul 15 by Ely_Blue

But if you have ever had to carry out a risk assessment based on likelihood of risk and severity then you will know that any measure you can put in place to reduce or remove the risk will reduce the multiplied factor and whilst you are right regarding door handles and printers etc in offices then the extra measure of masks will be in addition to the guidance on hand washing etc that are already there?

Yes, agree with that, was really trying to elaborate on why masks might be less effective in an office environment than in shops or on public transport.

Actually for my place of work (central London, edge of Zone 1), I think the biggest issue for people will be public transport which - even with mask wearing - is going to be a bigger risk. Fortunately I can walk to work but very few of my colleagues can.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:15 - Jul 15 with 420 viewsLibero

I still work in office 2 days a week and the guidance we've been given is one person per office, where previously they may seat 2 or 3.
No one may enter your office, etc. Meetings conducted either by teams or if in house then in the large hall space we have at socially distanced seats.

No masks buy social distancing in place, lots of markings out on the floor etc.

Until this week only one person was aloud in the toilet at once, regardless of the amount of cubicles in the bathroom you were visiting, this was eased as part of the service resumption plan.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:17]
Hancock on masks in offices on 14:25 - Jul 15 with 400 viewssparks

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:15 - Jul 15 by Libero

I still work in office 2 days a week and the guidance we've been given is one person per office, where previously they may seat 2 or 3.
No one may enter your office, etc. Meetings conducted either by teams or if in house then in the large hall space we have at socially distanced seats.

No masks buy social distancing in place, lots of markings out on the floor etc.

Until this week only one person was aloud in the toilet at once, regardless of the amount of cubicles in the bathroom you were visiting, this was eased as part of the service resumption plan.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:17]

The problem with toilets, of course, is that it is suggested that flushing can disperse particles (including aerosols holding contaminant) a considerable distance.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:32 - Jul 15 with 382 viewsLibero

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:25 - Jul 15 by sparks

The problem with toilets, of course, is that it is suggested that flushing can disperse particles (including aerosols holding contaminant) a considerable distance.

Yup, we have up'd our cleaners hours and toilets in particular are being cleaned at increased intervals once there is a resumption to service.

Customers in bubbles of both staff and other customers, no dining hall facilities, etc.

Significantly less customers are returning as many live with people who are shielding, or live in care homes with people shielding or maybe don't have access to their own transport, so with the clubs transport suspended as a contamination control, they have no way of getting in!

tbh, resuming service has been gruelling and I'm sure there's plenty of kinks to be ironed out that as yet we're not aware of that will surface in the first few weeks, but I'm not sure if this was to happen in our area again how some staff would cope mentally.
Hancock on masks in offices on 14:37 - Jul 15 with 369 viewsmikeybloo88

Hancock on masks in offices on 11:54 - Jul 15 by jeera

Not allowed?

Is that legal under the circumstances? To force someone into a situation they may not be comfortable with and then force them to accept any potential outcome with no personal choice for protection?

Teachers are absolutely allowed to wear masks and visors in September and pupils can if they wish although so far most haven't been...this from my teacher wife
Hancock on masks in offices on 14:54 - Jul 15 with 351 viewsjeera

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:37 - Jul 15 by mikeybloo88

Teachers are absolutely allowed to wear masks and visors in September and pupils can if they wish although so far most haven't been...this from my teacher wife

That's fair enough, and rightly so of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hancock on masks in offices on 15:15 - Jul 15 with 334 viewsFixed_It

Hancock on masks in offices on 14:37 - Jul 15 by mikeybloo88

Current guidance:

Wearing a face covering or face mask in schools or other education settings is not recommended. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close social contact with people you do not usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops. This does not apply to schools or other education settings. Schools and other education or childcare settings should therefore not require staff, children and learners to wear face coverings. Changing habits, cleaning and hygiene are effective measures in controlling the spread of the virus. Face coverings (or any form of medical mask unless instructed to be used for specific clinical reasons) should not be worn in any circumstance by those who may not be able to handle them as directed (for example, young children, or those with special educational needs or disabilities) as it may inadvertently increase the risk of transmission.

Of course, this may well change.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Hancock on masks in offices on 11:44 - Jul 16 with 256 viewsmikeybloo88

Hancock on masks in offices on 15:15 - Jul 15 by Fixed_It

Current guidance:

Wearing a face covering or face mask in schools or other education settings is not recommended. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close social contact with people you do not usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops. This does not apply to schools or other education settings. Schools and other education or childcare settings should therefore not require staff, children and learners to wear face coverings. Changing habits, cleaning and hygiene are effective measures in controlling the spread of the virus. Face coverings (or any form of medical mask unless instructed to be used for specific clinical reasons) should not be worn in any circumstance by those who may not be able to handle them as directed (for example, young children, or those with special educational needs or disabilities) as it may inadvertently increase the risk of transmission.

Of course, this may well change.

Clearly this was only a suggestion, as with most government proclamations, and schools have used their own common sense to set their individual safety measures.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024