Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amateur retirement 22:43 - Jul 21 with 4710 viewsRobTheMonk

I think I've just retired from 11 a side at the grand old age of 33. I've been doing a bit of pre season with the local team and the body no longer seems to do what the brain says and I can barely get out of a trot because of what I suspect is tendinitis in my knee.

Two things kept playing over in my head earlier today in training:

- I don't want to be the one who holds back others.
- This one is going to sound a little weird. But I got a months free WWE Network subscription to see the Undertaker documentary. It was incredibly sad to see this man keep coming back for one last match, but not being able to perform at the level he used to. I don't want to be that guy. I'm happy going out on my own terms. The training has been a great catalyst for me to try to get fitter, but I can't play like I used to. I used to play in goal for years but shoulder injuries screwed that one up.

I think I've got a some years left in 5 a side but I think it helps that my 5 a side team are all of a similar age and we mainly do it for a bit of fitness and a laugh which is all I really want these days.

Oddly liberating. I'm sure others have experienced similar.
Amateur retirement on 23:07 - Jul 24 with 892 viewsRyorry

This thread is an unsung gem - the sadness of having to give up a sport laid bare, but with surprising and touching insights by some familiar names on here who've never previously revealed anything about themselves.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Amateur retirement on 08:01 - Jul 25 with 843 viewsitfc_bucks

I stopped at a similar age. Just stopped enjoying it anymore and was doing it to not let my team down.

Played in goal, and went out still playing at the highest level I'd achieved.

Luckily no fitness concerns, so I've taken up running.
Amateur retirement on 08:34 - Jul 25 with 815 viewsDurovigutum

Come off the bench until you get to 35 and then go play vets. Or referee.

Something to give a semi regular excuse to watching Lambert leading us to defeat against Lincoln, Oxford, Peterborough etc....
Amateur retirement on 09:09 - Jul 25 with 799 viewsDubtractor

I stopped playing 11 a side in my 20s, partly due to an injury and partly because life moved on and I didn't have the time at the weekends to commit to it.

44 now though and still playing 6 a side, I think I hold my own, albeit pace isn't what it was! A few on here have had the pleasure of sharing a pitch with me.

Point being, as long as you even half look after yourself, you'll still have plenty of years left in the tank.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Amateur retirement on 09:52 - Jul 25 with 776 viewsRadlett_blue

I think you've made a good decision. Plenty of people keep playing into their 30s & beyond & recovering from injuries takes longer & their will be an inevitable toll on your joints in later life. I know there is more veterans' football & 5 a side, but you can still injure yourself doing that as obviously a competitive player will still strive to do what his body won't really let him. Plenty of other physical, competitive activities which aren't so hard on the body.
I stopped playing competitive football at 30 after a shoulder kept dislocating & I never regretted the decision.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Amateur retirement on 16:26 - Jul 25 with 734 viewsRobTheMonk

Amateur retirement on 09:52 - Jul 25 by Radlett_blue

I think you've made a good decision. Plenty of people keep playing into their 30s & beyond & recovering from injuries takes longer & their will be an inevitable toll on your joints in later life. I know there is more veterans' football & 5 a side, but you can still injure yourself doing that as obviously a competitive player will still strive to do what his body won't really let him. Plenty of other physical, competitive activities which aren't so hard on the body.
I stopped playing competitive football at 30 after a shoulder kept dislocating & I never regretted the decision.

Been there with shoulder issues too. They're an absolute nightmare if physio doesn't work the first time around. I ended up having three operations on mine.
Amateur retirement on 17:46 - Jul 25 with 710 viewsflimflam

I managed to play until 43 although dropped down a few levels along the way.

Was still playing 2 hours of 7 a side once a week until lockdown and found it surprisingly easy whereas some of the 20 somethings were in pieces.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Amateur retirement on 18:30 - Jul 25 with 685 viewsRadlett_blue

Amateur retirement on 16:26 - Jul 25 by RobTheMonk

Been there with shoulder issues too. They're an absolute nightmare if physio doesn't work the first time around. I ended up having three operations on mine.

Mine had come out 4 times in separate incidents (only one of them football) in less than a year. I could have had it pinned, but this was 30 years ago & someone else who had this done told me what a tedious procedure it was so I thought it time to start giving up sports which might involve falling over. Was my left shoulder so no problem playing golf, tennis, squash etc. I think I was about ready to retire from football so wasn't a huge wrench.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Amateur retirement on 23:51 - Jul 25 with 647 viewsScottCandage

Amateur retirement on 13:12 - Jul 22 by LeBlue

I played for the same Sunday League team from when I was 16 until I gave it up at 43.

The guys I was playing with at the end weren't born when I started and I played with lots of their Dads.

The whole club was like a family to me, made loads of friends along the way. As others have said, its juist a shame that the head of the 43 year old couldn't be on the legs of the teenage me as reading the game became so easy, doing something about it less so.

Looking back, I pretty much limped through the last couple of years, so feel it was right to give up.

Bizarrely, this was a couple of years ago and I cannot bring myself to go and watch them still. Still meet up with a few of the lads for a pint or two but that's it.

They should have a testimonial for you. Much respect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024