Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toy gun story 22:55 - Jul 24 with 8918 viewsjeera

Has this been covered on here?

The kid is sitting on the sofa in the living room and a passerby reported it to the police who then show up pointing guns at the family? Bloody hell:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53532799

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Toy gun story on 14:40 - Jul 26 with 2488 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 09:50 - Jul 26 by Kropotkin123

On a side note, and in no way looking to suggest an opinion on the original story, would/have you bought your kid a toy gun?

In my house they were banned when I was growing up. I think I will do the same. I don't see the value in kids playing with toy guns.

I had 2 air rifles growing up in the late 70's and 80's. My grandad bought them for me and we used to go shooting together, me and my friends also did it occasionally during summer holidays. As we grew up in the countryside, it was seen as a fairly normal pastime, plus my Grandad was a great believer in learning the realities of life, so any of the rabbits we managed to shoot(we had permission from the farmers), we had to skin, gut and cook ourselves.
I think anyone who eats meat should have to do something similar to this, at least once in their life, as it teaches you exactly where your food comes from and makes you more responsible person.
Nowadays it's different, with most kids idols appearing in action films or singing/rapping about violence and shooting others, waving guns around in film and music vids. Kids see it as a fashion accessory, not as the deadly weapons they actually are.
It's a another world we live in now, playing with air guns isn't the same way it used to be. I'll teach my kids when they are of an appropriate age, but I do agree that there's little point having them in the home lifestyle for kids growing up.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

Toy gun story on 14:45 - Jul 26 with 2485 viewsCrock

Toy gun story on 17:24 - Jul 25 by jeera

Really?

No question why someone walking past thought it ok to be peering into someone's home through the window, let alone then call the police out?

You've got to be kidding me. This is someone's home, not some lout waving around some replica in the street.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 17:28]

And no one ever gets shot in their home

Poll: Favourite number?

Toy gun story on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 2487 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 14:45 - Jul 26 by Crock

And no one ever gets shot in their home

Seriously, that's your attempt to be clever?

It was a 12 year old child holding a plastic pellet gun on the sofa in his own home. No one was being bloody shot. This isn't complicated.

Some busybody walking past on the street took the liberty to peer through a window with semi-closed blinds and called the police. Looking into someone's home and seen what they wanted to see.

The police have shown up and come through the front door, armed up yelling at a terrified family and handcuffed the [innocent] kid.

Quote from the Camden local rag:

"reported seeing “a black male with a gun

"The gun was later confirmed to be a plastic pellet gun."

"25 police officers, 10 armed officers with weapons with red laser lights. "

“He’s a little boy who was sitting in his own home"

"officers found an item which was identified as a toy ‘bb’ gun and not a firearm.”

It's obvious what has gone on here and yet there's quite remarkably some of you bending over backwards to make excuses.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 15:12]

Toy gun story on 15:57 - Jul 26 with 2463 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 14:40 - Jul 26 by LittleBoyBlue

I had 2 air rifles growing up in the late 70's and 80's. My grandad bought them for me and we used to go shooting together, me and my friends also did it occasionally during summer holidays. As we grew up in the countryside, it was seen as a fairly normal pastime, plus my Grandad was a great believer in learning the realities of life, so any of the rabbits we managed to shoot(we had permission from the farmers), we had to skin, gut and cook ourselves.
I think anyone who eats meat should have to do something similar to this, at least once in their life, as it teaches you exactly where your food comes from and makes you more responsible person.
Nowadays it's different, with most kids idols appearing in action films or singing/rapping about violence and shooting others, waving guns around in film and music vids. Kids see it as a fashion accessory, not as the deadly weapons they actually are.
It's a another world we live in now, playing with air guns isn't the same way it used to be. I'll teach my kids when they are of an appropriate age, but I do agree that there's little point having them in the home lifestyle for kids growing up.

I don't think glamorizing guns in entertainment aimed at kids is a new thing. For example, going back to the invention of TV, guns have played a major role in the kind of shows kids would watch.

If anything stuff aimed at kids nowadays feature fewer guns than in the good old Cowboys abd Indians/Cops and Robbers days.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Toy gun story on 16:04 - Jul 26 with 2433 viewsRyorry

Your Grandad did well.

Growing up in the countryside can certainly be a huge advantage for kids in teaching them about the realities of life, esp if they have responsibility for looking after animals.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Toy gun story on 16:05 - Jul 26 with 2451 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 15:57 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

I don't think glamorizing guns in entertainment aimed at kids is a new thing. For example, going back to the invention of TV, guns have played a major role in the kind of shows kids would watch.

If anything stuff aimed at kids nowadays feature fewer guns than in the good old Cowboys abd Indians/Cops and Robbers days.

Hmph. I had guns as a child, a few of them in fact, and it did me no harm.

Although they were mostly cap guns tbf.

I also had one of these but did I go out and rob banks with one? No.

Toy gun story on 16:09 - Jul 26 with 2442 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 16:04 - Jul 26 by Ryorry

Your Grandad did well.

Growing up in the countryside can certainly be a huge advantage for kids in teaching them about the realities of life, esp if they have responsibility for looking after animals.

It cuts both ways I guess. Wherever you grow up you can miss out on the other side of the coin if the people looking after you don't make the effort to expose you to all of life's rich experiences.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Toy gun story on 16:17 - Jul 26 with 2415 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 15:57 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

It's not a new thing no. It's just the prevalence and access to it that's changed. Look at the films and programs on tv now before watershed,growing up most of the daytime stuff now, could only be shown after 9pm.
It's got steadily worse since around the 80's, that's not just nostalgia talking, studies have shown a child today is exposed to more extreme violence and sexualisation by the age of 12, than a 21 year would have in the 70's. It all goes hand in hand, more parents are in full time work now so less time spent with kids to teach them things like respect and responsibility, they rely more on teachers, TV, media, their peers.
It isn't a new phenomenon, it's a growing trend, the steady decline of family life, with people being far more upwardly mobile, you no longer have the local street communities who would keep things to a certain level, now most people have no idea who their next door neighbours are, people rent and move more often, family and friends live miles away rather than a few doors down.
It's this and many more things that has contributed to the isolation, fear, disrespect, irresponsibility, blame mongering, the decline in existence we as society now tend to feel and live in. It's not that it didn't exist before, it's just becoming more prevalent.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

Login to get fewer ads

Toy gun story on 16:18 - Jul 26 with 2414 viewsRyorry

Toy gun story on 16:09 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

It cuts both ways I guess. Wherever you grow up you can miss out on the other side of the coin if the people looking after you don't make the effort to expose you to all of life's rich experiences.

Yes, the qualifier I decided to leave out was "depending on the adults looking after them"!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Toy gun story on 16:59 - Jul 26 with 2397 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 16:17 - Jul 26 by LittleBoyBlue

It's not a new thing no. It's just the prevalence and access to it that's changed. Look at the films and programs on tv now before watershed,growing up most of the daytime stuff now, could only be shown after 9pm.
It's got steadily worse since around the 80's, that's not just nostalgia talking, studies have shown a child today is exposed to more extreme violence and sexualisation by the age of 12, than a 21 year would have in the 70's. It all goes hand in hand, more parents are in full time work now so less time spent with kids to teach them things like respect and responsibility, they rely more on teachers, TV, media, their peers.
It isn't a new phenomenon, it's a growing trend, the steady decline of family life, with people being far more upwardly mobile, you no longer have the local street communities who would keep things to a certain level, now most people have no idea who their next door neighbours are, people rent and move more often, family and friends live miles away rather than a few doors down.
It's this and many more things that has contributed to the isolation, fear, disrespect, irresponsibility, blame mongering, the decline in existence we as society now tend to feel and live in. It's not that it didn't exist before, it's just becoming more prevalent.

That sounds like a very Conservative take on current society to me, and it's not one I recognise on a personal level.

I certainly don't lament more people being able to persue a career outside of the house. More women enjoying careers is a wonderful thing gif them and the workplace. I certainly don't think family life is declining either. I think the definition of what constitutes family life has broadened and some people aren't always keen on some of what that definition now includes.

I have always made the effort to get to know my neighbours wherever I've lived, perhaps that's easier as I've tended to live in more densely populated areas. You get out what you in though. If you don't know your neighbours it's because you haven't made the effort to know them. So what if they move after six months? Treat them like you've known them your whole life.

Kids today grow up in a society that's more diverse and more equitable (although still much more work to do there) than ever. They are aware of issues surrounding race, gender, sexual orientation from a very early age. My wife teaches 8 year old children. Some of the thoughtful and empathetic comments they come out with about others put some posters on here to shame.

The society I live in is a society that doesn't minimise the existence and experiences of children, and acknowledges them as humans in their own right. The fact that kids have mental health needs is now no longer controversial. In many ways we have come a long way. For the better. Unfortunately there are still those that seek to work against and undermine all these positive things.

The society you describe, this isolation, fear, disrespect, irresponsibility, and blame mongering isn't one I recognise. It sounds like nostalgic boomerism that gets said every generation. One area I do feel makes childhood difficult now is the extent to which social media plays a part. Plus we've trashed the environment for them. Another area is that there is this constant Conservative nostalgia for the fifties and sixties where a family was a mum and a dad, women knew their place and stayed at home, homosexuals were deviant poofters, White folk ruled the roost and community was made up of the same people for your whole life.

I know that's not what you're saying here, but this constant signaling that society has gone down the toilet because it now includes more and more diverse people and lifestyles always needs a counter argument.

I think there are many societal problems nowadays, they just aren't the ones you listed.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 17:10]

Toy gun story on 16:59 - Jul 26 with 2396 viewsGaryCooper

Toy gun story on 13:43 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

It's not right in any way, but it happens. Police have to respond quickly to all reports of firearms. A friend of mine a few years back had the same thing happen to him. He was playing with his teenage son in their back garden with airsoft pistols, 30 minutes later 4 police cars and a dozen armed officers burst into the house and put them all in hold positions and cuffed them. Apparently a concerned nature walker had seen them both waving the guns around and called the cops.
You need a license to buy and own an air rifle nowadays, and you are registered with the police to limit these kinds of things from happening, no-one under the age of 18 is supposed to own one, if you owned one before the law came in in 2007, you are exempt, but encouraged to register it.
Unfortunately most air rifles/guns made today are designed to look exactly like the real thing, whereas in years past they would be bright colours or the design would be distinctive from a real firearm.

'You need a license to buy and own an air rifle nowadays'

Not in the UK.
Toy gun story on 17:34 - Jul 26 with 2369 viewsjeera

"Here's some words I thought up".

Kids should shoot, skin and butcher a cow before eating steak? What?

"Kids see it as a fashion accessory, not as the deadly weapons they actually are."

Do they? Nice bit of generalisation there and good that you speak for all kids everywhere and their personal experiences.

As for this:

"Unfortunately most air rifles/guns made today are designed to look exactly like the real thing, whereas in years past they would be bright colours or the design would be distinctive from a real firearm."

What on earth are you talking about? I've had slug guns since I was 10 years old and all of them have been made from wood and black metals.

I have never owned a fecking orange air rifle so far.

I think you're confused.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 17:36]

Toy gun story on 17:38 - Jul 26 with 2364 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 17:34 - Jul 26 by jeera

"Here's some words I thought up".

Kids should shoot, skin and butcher a cow before eating steak? What?

"Kids see it as a fashion accessory, not as the deadly weapons they actually are."

Do they? Nice bit of generalisation there and good that you speak for all kids everywhere and their personal experiences.

As for this:

"Unfortunately most air rifles/guns made today are designed to look exactly like the real thing, whereas in years past they would be bright colours or the design would be distinctive from a real firearm."

What on earth are you talking about? I've had slug guns since I was 10 years old and all of them have been made from wood and black metals.

I have never owned a fecking orange air rifle so far.

I think you're confused.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 17:36]

I don't get the constant talking as if from a position of authority on the subject when 90% is just made up bobbins.

Toy gun story on 17:44 - Jul 26 with 2359 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 17:38 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

I don't get the constant talking as if from a position of authority on the subject when 90% is just made up bobbins.

No, and I cannot understand why anyone would think that some prick staring into someone's home and reporting their child for not doing anything wrong is somehow acceptable for the police to storm their home. Fully fecking armed up. It's insane.

Have these people not read a word?

I despair and can only assume they're all nosy sad feckers themselves who think this is normal behaviour.

I hate some people.

I mean, to be fair to them I suppose the boy is black so what did his family expect? He had it coming. Having the same toys as white kids. Pah.

Toy gun story on 17:48 - Jul 26 with 2353 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 17:44 - Jul 26 by jeera

No, and I cannot understand why anyone would think that some prick staring into someone's home and reporting their child for not doing anything wrong is somehow acceptable for the police to storm their home. Fully fecking armed up. It's insane.

I despair and can only assume they're all nosy sad feckers themselves who think this is normal behaviour.

I hate some people.

I mean, to be fair to them I suppose the boy is black so what did his family expect? He had it coming. Having the same toys as white kids. Pah.

Probably didn't even think it was a kid. Multiple studies have shown white people consistently place black children in an older age bracket than they actually are, leading to their actions being judged more harshly than those of white children.

Yet more white privilege in action.

Toy gun story on 17:56 - Jul 26 with 2344 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 17:48 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

Probably didn't even think it was a kid. Multiple studies have shown white people consistently place black children in an older age bracket than they actually are, leading to their actions being judged more harshly than those of white children.

Right here, as you say. 'Child' not mentioned.

Quote from the Camden local rag:

"reported seeing “a black male with a gun”.

Meaning pretty much this really: "Well I was passing someone's home when I stuck my nose through their window, saw something I decided was illegal, so called the police.

Anyone can make a mistake, and the family are black after all."

Toy gun story on 17:57 - Jul 26 with 2337 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 17:48 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

Not sure that is privilege...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Toy gun story on 18:01 - Jul 26 with 2331 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 17:57 - Jul 26 by sparks

Of course it is.

Toy gun story on 18:02 - Jul 26 with 2328 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 17:57 - Jul 26 by sparks

Being able to call the police on a black person just because you can? Knowing you'll get a response.

That has the same ring as the Cooper girl in NY.

I am amazed at some of the feedback on this thread as I thought it was obvious.

Libby picked up on it immediately. He knew exactly where it was going.

Toy gun story on 18:03 - Jul 26 with 2327 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 18:01 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

Of course it is.

No "of course" about it.

1- it cuts both ways. Often, people thinking you are older and more experienced than you are is something people WANT.
2- its just a physiological / perception thing. Nothing to do with society being setup to benefit white people- which is clearly the subtext to assertions about privilege.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Toy gun story on 18:07 - Jul 26 with 2321 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 18:03 - Jul 26 by sparks

No "of course" about it.

1- it cuts both ways. Often, people thinking you are older and more experienced than you are is something people WANT.
2- its just a physiological / perception thing. Nothing to do with society being setup to benefit white people- which is clearly the subtext to assertions about privilege.

Except it doesn't cut both ways. You might think it does. But it doesn't. It doesn't end with childhood either. Where do you think those physiological reactions and perceptions come from Bully?

Of course if you have studies to hand that demonstrate white children are consistently judged to be older and more responsible for their actions than their black counterparts I'll gladly give them a read and get back to you with an apology if need be.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 18:11]

Toy gun story on 20:19 - Jul 26 with 2265 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 16:59 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

That sounds like a very Conservative take on current society to me, and it's not one I recognise on a personal level.

I certainly don't lament more people being able to persue a career outside of the house. More women enjoying careers is a wonderful thing gif them and the workplace. I certainly don't think family life is declining either. I think the definition of what constitutes family life has broadened and some people aren't always keen on some of what that definition now includes.

I have always made the effort to get to know my neighbours wherever I've lived, perhaps that's easier as I've tended to live in more densely populated areas. You get out what you in though. If you don't know your neighbours it's because you haven't made the effort to know them. So what if they move after six months? Treat them like you've known them your whole life.

Kids today grow up in a society that's more diverse and more equitable (although still much more work to do there) than ever. They are aware of issues surrounding race, gender, sexual orientation from a very early age. My wife teaches 8 year old children. Some of the thoughtful and empathetic comments they come out with about others put some posters on here to shame.

The society I live in is a society that doesn't minimise the existence and experiences of children, and acknowledges them as humans in their own right. The fact that kids have mental health needs is now no longer controversial. In many ways we have come a long way. For the better. Unfortunately there are still those that seek to work against and undermine all these positive things.

The society you describe, this isolation, fear, disrespect, irresponsibility, and blame mongering isn't one I recognise. It sounds like nostalgic boomerism that gets said every generation. One area I do feel makes childhood difficult now is the extent to which social media plays a part. Plus we've trashed the environment for them. Another area is that there is this constant Conservative nostalgia for the fifties and sixties where a family was a mum and a dad, women knew their place and stayed at home, homosexuals were deviant poofters, White folk ruled the roost and community was made up of the same people for your whole life.

I know that's not what you're saying here, but this constant signaling that society has gone down the toilet because it now includes more and more diverse people and lifestyles always needs a counter argument.

I think there are many societal problems nowadays, they just aren't the ones you listed.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 17:10]

I sort of agree with you as I know most of my neighbours in the village, we often have very large bbq for the whole street. People are always more nostalgic of their childhoods, as we now live in an easy society, go back 100 years and it's a different story entirely.
What I wrote wasn't a personal viewpoint as much as it's based on various studies. The problem being is that there's no right or wrong answer.
Personally I have seen the decline first hand through my work, yet on the flipside I have seen the progress in other areas like racism, when I married my wife 20 years ago, we lost contact with all her family and friends because they couldn't accept her marrying a white man and the abuse we both suffered because of it has grown a lot less over the years.
I'm all for a truly equal existence and experience for everyone, yet I know it's a pipe dream, people unfortunately come in all shades, nice or nasty, altruistic or narcissistic, it's this that drives society, we go through 'ages' where certain things are less or more important depending on the figureheads who lead(not necessarily politics).
Take for example a case I had many years back, a lesbian woman groomed and slept with several of the disabled men she was looking after as she was desperate to get pregnant before she hit 35, she got away with it and was still allowed to work in the care industry, because at the time it was still perceived that women are the innocent victims in sexual cases. If that happened today, the outcome would be different, so we are making progress in all areas.

Toy gun story on 20:30 - Jul 26 with 2257 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 17:44 - Jul 26 by jeera

I hate some people.

You are obviously incapable of reading yourself then. I said it wasn't acceptable, yet it happens to peopleof all races, creds and sex.
Who's to blame, the police for over reacting to a report of a firearm? The kid and/or his parents for breaking the law letting him play with the gun unsupervised? The neighbour/passerby who just happened to look into a window and thought they saw a dangerous weapon on display?
It's a crappy situation for all involved, you can't say any of the parties involved responded in a wrong way, because if the cops didn't investigate someone could die, if the passerby didn't report it and someone died they bear responsibility for not reporting it. The only person who could possibly be held responsible is the parents for letting the child play with a gun unsupervised and by not knowing the laws involved in owning a air pistol, but personally I'd say no to that, as most parents are completely ignorant to most laws and rules because they're not taught or easy to find and they can be so complicated to understand sometimes.

Toy gun story on 20:38 - Jul 26 with 2251 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 18:07 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

Except it doesn't cut both ways. You might think it does. But it doesn't. It doesn't end with childhood either. Where do you think those physiological reactions and perceptions come from Bully?

Of course if you have studies to hand that demonstrate white children are consistently judged to be older and more responsible for their actions than their black counterparts I'll gladly give them a read and get back to you with an apology if need be.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 18:11]

the perceptions come from people looking different and having different physical characteristics.

You appear to have replied to what i said, which is clearly accurate, with a bare assertion. Your ideological inclinations have interfered with your logic. That is all. I dont expect your apology as you cannot see it.

Toy gun story on 21:44 - Jul 26 with 2225 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 20:38 - Jul 26 by sparks

the perceptions come from people looking different and having different physical characteristics.

You appear to have replied to what i said, which is clearly accurate, with a bare assertion. Your ideological inclinations have interfered with your logic. That is all. I dont expect your apology as you cannot see it.

You're so close to seeing your way through to the truth of the matter here Bully... But it's just beyond you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024