Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fruit and veg growers of twtd 13:28 - Aug 26 with 2961 viewsvapour_trail

How’s your harvest looking.

I had a lockdown stab at a first patch in my meadow for a number of years. Pulled my first carrots from the ground this morning, which was satisfying. I’ve had a couple of courgette so far, have about a dozen cobs of sweetcorn coming along nicely for late summer barbies. A number of tomato plants on the go but they’re going to need good September sun to ripen well.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:32 - Aug 26 with 462 viewsswede

Gave a bit more of the garden to veg growing this year and everything planted has been a great success - Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Courgettes, Runner Beans, Peas. Also so far we have gathered over eight pounds of wild blackberries from the garden and the Bramley apple tree is weighed down with fruit. We had the first of many blackberry & apple crumbles last weekend. Lovely!
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 19:33]
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:35 - Aug 26 with 455 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:32 - Aug 26 by swede

Gave a bit more of the garden to veg growing this year and everything planted has been a great success - Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Courgettes, Runner Beans, Peas. Also so far we have gathered over eight pounds of wild blackberries from the garden and the Bramley apple tree is weighed down with fruit. We had the first of many blackberry & apple crumbles last weekend. Lovely!
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 19:33]

And yet no root vegetables!!

You have got to be taking the piss.

The rest sounds great though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:37 - Aug 26 with 451 viewsswede

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:35 - Aug 26 by jeera

And yet no root vegetables!!

You have got to be taking the piss.

The rest sounds great though.

Nope no root vegetables not even swedes!. Maybe next year as just started today to expand the veg plot for some raspberry canes.
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:44 - Aug 26 with 441 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 18:38 - Aug 26 by jeera

What happened with the parsnips then?

Got to be loose soil for those hasn't it.

Sand again, a good one part to 4 parts soil/compost gives them a chance to stretch out a bit!

Less resistance the better. (I'm sure you already know this, I'm just bored today).

You know your stuff jeera.

No idea as to why said parsnips wont germinate. Two years on the trot now.
Previous years had been really good.

Ever considered horticulture as a living?

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:53 - Aug 26 with 436 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:44 - Aug 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

You know your stuff jeera.

No idea as to why said parsnips wont germinate. Two years on the trot now.
Previous years had been really good.

Ever considered horticulture as a living?

Mate, I hope I'm not coming across as a know-all.

I'm far from it and have regularly been on BacktoRussia's case over the years asking this and that, as well as Dubs.

But the bits coming up today are things I have had to deal with too so know what people mean.

Are these old seeds then Piners? I have to say the few I finally had arrive this year were rubbish and as everywhere was sold out for so long I did half wonder if I'd been fobbed off with old stock or something.

The last parsnips I grew though were fantastic. They came as pellets, so with this tiny casing of feed wrapped around each individual seed and each and every one grew perfectly.

I grew them in deep bags with a loose mix as I say, plenty of sharp sand mixed in thoroughly with the compost and they were hoooge.

That's it mate I'm afraid - that's all I got.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:05 - Aug 26 with 427 viewshampstead_blue

It's been mixed.

None of my regular tomatoes germinated but my tomatillo's all went mental!
I've now got 12 or so plants when I only need 4. We are going to have a lot of salsa.

Tomatillo is a great one to grow. Easy and they crop heavily. They are the secret ingredient in authentic salsa. Given them a go.

Chillis are wonderful. I've 6 or 7 varieties on the go and even got a half dozen plants from seed in peppers from the supermarket.

What else?
Coriander superb. We're on our third crop. Been so easy. I put in some really crappy dusty soil and they love it.

Beans are on the second sowing. Gone really well.

Spinach has been the biggest success. Huge leaves and our second sowing.

Sunflowers. A slack ten or so, just because they are awesome and we collect the seeds for the birds in winter and next years crop.

SPuds. Shocker. I used topsoil from our housing development and they rotted. Next year.

Am trying to buy a plot of land next to where our house is being built for a big old polytunnel for next year.
If I get it we'll have outdoor crops galore, and CHICKENS! I can't wait for that bit.

We're also going to plant some fruit trees in the gardens of the houses we are building to give the new owners something nice in a couple of years.

Loving it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:22 - Aug 26 with 415 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 19:53 - Aug 26 by jeera

Mate, I hope I'm not coming across as a know-all.

I'm far from it and have regularly been on BacktoRussia's case over the years asking this and that, as well as Dubs.

But the bits coming up today are things I have had to deal with too so know what people mean.

Are these old seeds then Piners? I have to say the few I finally had arrive this year were rubbish and as everywhere was sold out for so long I did half wonder if I'd been fobbed off with old stock or something.

The last parsnips I grew though were fantastic. They came as pellets, so with this tiny casing of feed wrapped around each individual seed and each and every one grew perfectly.

I grew them in deep bags with a loose mix as I say, plenty of sharp sand mixed in thoroughly with the compost and they were hoooge.

That's it mate I'm afraid - that's all I got.

Not at all mate.

Where did you get the seeds? I used a well known brand on all 3 plots i tend for people, not one germinated, in date too as i'm a stickler for that. Everything else has grown tickety boo.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:26 - Aug 26 with 414 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:22 - Aug 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

Not at all mate.

Where did you get the seeds? I used a well known brand on all 3 plots i tend for people, not one germinated, in date too as i'm a stickler for that. Everything else has grown tickety boo.

I think, going by this thread, and people I know irl too, this year has been poor for germination all round.

Dunno why. If I were a conspiracist though...

I will try to find the supplier of those parsnips seeds. Bear with me for a few days though.

I'm sure I'll have something somewhere if I remember where to look.

Login to get fewer ads

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:33 - Aug 26 with 409 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:26 - Aug 26 by jeera

I think, going by this thread, and people I know irl too, this year has been poor for germination all round.

Dunno why. If I were a conspiracist though...

I will try to find the supplier of those parsnips seeds. Bear with me for a few days though.

I'm sure I'll have something somewhere if I remember where to look.

Cheers.
Would appreciate that.
Hopefully better luck next year.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 22:04 - Aug 26 with 388 viewsandytown

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 20:33 - Aug 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

Cheers.
Would appreciate that.
Hopefully better luck next year.

Parsnips very poor at the allotment this year after sowing directly, later sowing in half loo roll inners and compost solved the germination problem for us. Might be worth a try and then transplanting when a couple of cm tall.

Potatoes got the late frost in early June, so didn’t amount to much in the end, but got a few.

Leeks still very small and about 6 inches tall, also carrots sowed in April.

Courgettes and butternut squash were a case of plant and stand well back.

Brussels and broccoli doing well too
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 22:05 - Aug 26 with 387 viewsdickie

Really successful here, we've had an abundance of courgette, summer squash, butternut squash, mange tout, spring onions, tomatoes (red & yellow cherry and salad toms), chilli peppers, Bell peppers as well as Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and our 2 year old plum tree after being transplanted from pot to ground produced 22 plums.
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 22:42 - Aug 26 with 370 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The big plus this year was hundreds of cherries.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024