Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday was cancelled last night.... 11:59 - Sep 18 with 7782 viewsitfcjoe

...was due to be heading to Madeira at the end of December for a couple of weeks.

This was all booked well before this was even a thing, and have been waiting for it to be cancelled and to tell the truth am quite relived how early it has been.

In-Laws still want to go, we no longer are - I think it's mad, they are effectively booking a new holiday now for December as the old one is gone - travel insurances must struggle with this etc and I just can't afford to risk going into quarantine - plus thought of travelling with all the restrictions with 2 young kids wasn't much fun.

Am due to be going to Center Parcs in November, was previously booked for May and we put it back - but are going with friends and there will be 8 of us so we can't go - plus facilities are reduced as it is which will make things really inconvenient so that will be cancelled as well.

Have a caravan in Great Yarmouth booked in a few weeks - don't think any facilities there so shouldn't shut......looking forward to getting away!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 07:47 - Sep 19 with 726 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 07:18 - Sep 19 by Reuser_is_God

We didn’t have to provide details of bubbles etc, I guess as we were so close to the rule change they didn’t have time to implement.

Swimming was fine to be honest but we only had one 3 year old, can imagine it being tougher with 4!

Yep, both sets of kids are the same age, so will be just 4 and 2 by the time we get there - plus will be mega excited and sharing rooms and the apartment so guess regular schedules and sleeps going to be out the window......in normal times you’d just take them swimming when everyone up for it, but with booked times it could make that just a massive pain.

Friends partner has subsequently fallen pregnant and will be 7 months by then also so not quite what was signed up for either, and we’d gone the week all the Xmas stuff is starting which I guess won’t be now either. Will just rearrange it for next year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 08:27 - Sep 19 with 694 views26_Paz

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 05:52 - Sep 19 by loftboy

I went to Rhodes in August, go every year, it was booked last year before the pandemic, booked direct with the hotel and separate flights, as the flights went ahead I wouldn’t have been able to cancel.
The Greeks are so much better than us at this, a smallish hotel had 6 rooms occupied, didn’t venture out but had an extremely social distanced 11 days by an empty pool.
Took some criticism from some quarters for going but having worked through this hell I was ready for my break.
I felt a lot safer there than I am In east London.

I really don’t get why anyone would criticise you for that ... corona has done some strange things to some people ...

The Paz Man

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:16 - Sep 19 with 681 viewsMonkeyAlan

People want a holiday. They don't need one. This pandemic is going nowhere. People should be responsible and hold off. That includes going to areas in this country, where the people who live there really don't want tourists bringing God knows what into their community. It's all contributing to a second wave. But people don't like/want to be told. Or bend the rules to suit. If everyone stayed at home for a year and refrained from holidays all over the place, we would probably get on top of this. Yes it would cripple the industry, but it's doing it anyway isn't it?
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:29 - Sep 19 with 669 viewsmikeybloo88

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:16 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

People want a holiday. They don't need one. This pandemic is going nowhere. People should be responsible and hold off. That includes going to areas in this country, where the people who live there really don't want tourists bringing God knows what into their community. It's all contributing to a second wave. But people don't like/want to be told. Or bend the rules to suit. If everyone stayed at home for a year and refrained from holidays all over the place, we would probably get on top of this. Yes it would cripple the industry, but it's doing it anyway isn't it?

But the businesses in these areas and those local economies DO want us to visit....there is no reason for he whole hospitality sector to be shut down again. Coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, even many well managed pubs, especially rural pubs, offering only table service and food via bookings only and refusing entry to dodgy types.... all these could safely carry on. It's only the mass drinker covid dens that we should close initially and see what happens. I doubt we can save the whole hospitality sector so some parts may have to be sacrificed...
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:33 - Sep 19 with 662 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:29 - Sep 19 by mikeybloo88

But the businesses in these areas and those local economies DO want us to visit....there is no reason for he whole hospitality sector to be shut down again. Coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, even many well managed pubs, especially rural pubs, offering only table service and food via bookings only and refusing entry to dodgy types.... all these could safely carry on. It's only the mass drinker covid dens that we should close initially and see what happens. I doubt we can save the whole hospitality sector so some parts may have to be sacrificed...

I totally agree with that. I'm not suggesting shutting down pubs restaurants etc. Maybe a 50 mile limit on travel or something is the answer?
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 11:07 - Sep 19 with 622 viewsmikeybloo88

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:33 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

I totally agree with that. I'm not suggesting shutting down pubs restaurants etc. Maybe a 50 mile limit on travel or something is the answer?

Yes...something like that might help, although we've got to somehow reduce close social interactions without killing businesses, and for some places if they don't get big numbers there's no point opening. Local councils will have to be the ones to decide which riskier establishments should be closed first...it's a tough job but needs doing.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 11:23 - Sep 19 with 620 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:33 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

If I'm driving somewhere, what difference does it make if it's 50 miles or 150 miles?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:01 - Sep 19 with 608 views26_Paz

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 09:16 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

People won’t stay at home for a year, they just won’t do it, I know I won’t. Measures need to be proportionate, at the moment cases are increasing but it’s nowhere near overwhelming the NHS.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:22 - Sep 19 with 591 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 11:23 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

If I'm driving somewhere, what difference does it make if it's 50 miles or 150 miles?

Because you could be spreading it to say, Suffolk where it's relatively low. So therefore keeping some sort of restrictions on travel may stop transmitting it to areas that arnt suffering as bad.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:24 - Sep 19 with 589 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:01 - Sep 19 by 26_Paz

People won’t stay at home for a year, they just won’t do it, I know I won’t. Measures need to be proportionate, at the moment cases are increasing but it’s nowhere near overwhelming the NHS.

You don't need to travel miles. A limit on where you can travel to may help. You have pubs and restaurants locally. You don't need to go miles.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:59 - Sep 19 with 579 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:22 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

Because you could be spreading it to say, Suffolk where it's relatively low. So therefore keeping some sort of restrictions on travel may stop transmitting it to areas that arnt suffering as bad.

If I travel 50 miles I might be doing the same. I also might be travelling somewhere where it's higher.

What if I drive 600 miles to go walking in the Outer Hebrides where I barely meet a soul?

Like I say, what difference does the amount of miles make?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:06 - Sep 19 with 573 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:24 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

You don't need to travel miles. A limit on where you can travel to may help. You have pubs and restaurants locally. You don't need to go miles.

A limit on travel doesn't make much odds, it's more what you do when you get there. Life has to go on, people just need to be sensible with it.

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:09 - Sep 19 with 571 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:59 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

If I travel 50 miles I might be doing the same. I also might be travelling somewhere where it's higher.

What if I drive 600 miles to go walking in the Outer Hebrides where I barely meet a soul?

Like I say, what difference does the amount of miles make?

Because you are spreading it. If everyone does that then it stands to reason it is spreading. Limit travel to 50 or less keeps it within parameters. It's all the movement that is helping cause the increase again. Along with the stupid eat out to help out scheme, which, yes, was done in the best interests for business. But has ultimately helped spread the virus even more.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:12 - Sep 19 with 568 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:06 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

A limit on travel doesn't make much odds, it's more what you do when you get there. Life has to go on, people just need to be sensible with it.

You nailed it right there. People need to be sensible. But they arnt, hence we are seeing this second wave. People can't be trusted to do the right thing. They have proved that time and again during this pandemic. Mind you, nor can our government, which really doesn't help the situation either.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:16 - Sep 19 with 563 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:09 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

Because you are spreading it. If everyone does that then it stands to reason it is spreading. Limit travel to 50 or less keeps it within parameters. It's all the movement that is helping cause the increase again. Along with the stupid eat out to help out scheme, which, yes, was done in the best interests for business. But has ultimately helped spread the virus even more.

What does it matter if you spread it 50 miles or 100 miles? The people in the 50 mile zone can travel 50 miles too, so eventually you get that 100 mile spread anyway.

And what about when I travel 600 miles to the middle of nowhere? You haven't answered that bit.

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:19 - Sep 19 with 561 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:12 - Sep 19 by MonkeyAlan

You nailed it right there. People need to be sensible. But they arnt, hence we are seeing this second wave. People can't be trusted to do the right thing. They have proved that time and again during this pandemic. Mind you, nor can our government, which really doesn't help the situation either.

They need to get stricter enforcing the rules. A milage limit won't make any difference. Unless it's zero miles!

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:28 - Sep 19 with 557 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:19 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

They need to get stricter enforcing the rules. A milage limit won't make any difference. Unless it's zero miles!

I agree. Getting stricter is the answer, trouble is, the general public still won't listen. They will bend the rules. We had people on this site encouraging others to go out on 20 mile hikes or all day bike rides, or 20mile runs during lockdown, avoiding the one reasonable exercise a day. It was going on everywhere. Me and my Mrs walk our dog twice s day whatever the weather, back then we saw dogs we had never seen, and don't again now. Same with cycling. Bikes everywhere. All gone now. None. My neighbour was a classic. Bought 4 new bikes. Ride them for a month. They have sat in the front garden ever since. People just can't be trusted.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:33 - Sep 19 with 553 viewsMonkeyAlan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 14:16 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

What does it matter if you spread it 50 miles or 100 miles? The people in the 50 mile zone can travel 50 miles too, so eventually you get that 100 mile spread anyway.

And what about when I travel 600 miles to the middle of nowhere? You haven't answered that bit.

Because others will travel to those remote sites. Was proved during and after lockdown. Cars parked nose to tail in lanes that had never seen traffic before. And that's without all the litter they left. Yet to hear most, they make out to be so eco friendly nowadays and all for the environment. Utter bullsh!t, as with everything they jump on the latest bandwagon as it suits them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024