Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much is Evans to blame? 12:52 - Oct 29 with 5364 viewsFrimleyBlue

Genuine question.

After watching the wembley video and seeing sheepy... There's lot of people that hated sheepy and still do. I love the guy I will add and think he was Mr Ipswich and still is.

So with that in mind. How many would take Sheepshanks back now.. or are you behind Evans..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How much is Evans to blame? on 17:24 - Oct 30 with 261 viewsBlueandTruesince82

How much is Evans to blame? on 15:28 - Oct 30 by istanblue

All of ITFC's current problems are ultimately down to Marcus Evans.

When Evans took over he didn't do it because he actually cared about the club, he did it in the hope that we would soon be promoted and he could rake in all that PL cash whilst getting his MEG brand a copious amount of publicity.

People will argue that he backed Keane and Jewell with enough funds to achieve promotion and they let him down - this is only partly true. The reason so much money was wasted on crap players (e.g. Lee Martin, Grant Leadbitter etc.) was because Evans has no idea about football and just left incompetent mangers to get on with it. Being an owner who knows nothing about football is fine but Evans made absolutely no attempt to build a footballing structure to run the club for him. Instead he hired Simon Clegg (also someone who had no idea about football) as CEO purely on the basis that Evans wanted preferential treatment to sell tickets for the then upcoming 2012 London Olympics.

I'd argue that Evans gave up on any serious ambition of promotion after sacking Jewell in 2012. If you look at the signings Mick made the season he took over they were almost entirely free transfers and loans. Evans then went into damage limitation mode i.e. the height of our ambitions was to retain Championship status. It was a win-win for both sides: Mick got to run things as he wanted with no boardroom interreference and having no real pressure on him, whilst Evans was able to employ a manager who would keep the club in the division on a shoestring budget. Inevitably, this bored the life out of the fans and the acceptance of mediocrity really set in under Mick.

When Mick left, Evans was confronted for the first time with a managerial departure that wasn't of his choosing. At this point Evans should have done everything he could to build a coherent footballing structure at the club, but alas, he still didn't learn his lesson. When he hired Hurst he naively thought that he would run the footballing side for him in the way Mick had done. Evidently, Hurst hadn't had anywhere near the competency or experience Mick had done at running a club's entire footballing operation and thus disaster was inevitable. Evans allowed Hurst to gut a decent Championship squad and signed off on all his lower league recruitment flops. In hindsight, relegation shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Lambert has underperformed most certainly and is lucky to still be in a job. Nevertheless, the main reason he is still here is because Evans gave him a ludicrous 5-year contract and the fee required to pay him off seems too much for Evans to sanction.

In summary all of our issue can be traced back to Marcus Evans: chronic underinvestment both on and off the pitch, acceptance of mediocrity, complacency, lack of real footballing structure at the club, daft contract decisions etc. He's been here ages now and I don't hold out any hope that he's learnt anything in that time. Evans Out.

I think thats a touch harah RE Keane and Jewell... he backed the managers he appointed ... what we always ask for.

The appointments themselves are another question entirely and is well picked over above but you say he doesn't know football (fair) then again for backing the guys who should do (which for me is having your cake and eating it) he's dammed either way there isn't he

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

How much is Evans to blame? on 17:52 - Oct 30 with 237 viewsSwansea_Blue

How much is Evans to blame? on 17:24 - Oct 30 by BlueandTruesince82

I think thats a touch harah RE Keane and Jewell... he backed the managers he appointed ... what we always ask for.

The appointments themselves are another question entirely and is well picked over above but you say he doesn't know football (fair) then again for backing the guys who should do (which for me is having your cake and eating it) he's dammed either way there isn't he

I suppose that depends how you define "backed". He does seem very loyal, but you could question whether he's been too loyal sometimes. Some have had money to spend on the squad, but not the best manager we had at a time when it would have made a difference, etc. Most have had money to spend on wages, but again that dried up in the championship to the point that we had one of ;lowest wage budgets (17th or 18th I think).

He just seems to make the wrong decisions time after time. I can't think of many things that have worked out for him. It's a shame, as he obviously means well and seems like a decent guy from what most managers have said.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How much is Evans to blame? on 09:44 - Oct 31 with 186 viewsBlueandTruesince82

How much is Evans to blame? on 17:52 - Oct 30 by Swansea_Blue

I suppose that depends how you define "backed". He does seem very loyal, but you could question whether he's been too loyal sometimes. Some have had money to spend on the squad, but not the best manager we had at a time when it would have made a difference, etc. Most have had money to spend on wages, but again that dried up in the championship to the point that we had one of ;lowest wage budgets (17th or 18th I think).

He just seems to make the wrong decisions time after time. I can't think of many things that have worked out for him. It's a shame, as he obviously means well and seems like a decent guy from what most managers have said.

Well this I agree with as I said previously sometimes its better to be lucky than good and Evans ain't lucky

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

How much is Evans to blame? on 11:25 - Oct 31 with 173 viewsAce_High1

An awful lot is down to Evans.

You don't need money to have - a vision, a strategy and a culture within the club (workplace) that is built for success. We fail to have any plan or any long term strategic thinking and have done since he took over.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024