Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The two games on Tuesday last . 09:35 - Nov 12 with 2512 viewsWickets

Has anyone any insight as to why Paul Lambert used a stronger team in the reserve (U23's) fixture than the later Cup match ?
The two games on Tuesday last . on 16:54 - Nov 12 with 233 viewsGarv

The two games on Tuesday last . on 13:32 - Nov 12 by SouperJim

Two things worried me about the papa john's pathetic joke trophy match. Firstly it was our third straight loss in all comps and our 5th in the last 7, winning breeds confidence. Secondly and more importantly, we used the same 4-3-3 which I gather is being installed at all levels to equal non-effect as the first team, just without an edwards or bishop on the pitch to dig us out. Pass it about along the back while the opposition sit off us, completely fail to find an opening or a meaningful forward pass, hoof it up to an isolated striker who doesn't have another blue shirt within 20 yards of him and lose the ball. Rinse and repeat.

Our football over the last half a dozen games has been, on the whole, shocking and I feel we are in a false position in the table thanks to a generous helping of very good individual goals from a few key players. How long can it continue?

I desperately hope I am wrong, but all the warning signs are there that this season could rapidly descend into a repeat of last and if it does, I have zero confidence in Lambert being able to do anything about it. If we've learnt anything about Lambo over the last two years it's that once our results start to slide, he struggles immensely to get us on track again. I think that is the real reason for the disproportionately negative reaction to going out of the tinpot trophy that others have alluded to, it's the most recent part of a growing collapse in momentum which experience has taught us matters far more under Lambert than progressing to the next round.

I'm not sure I agree that we've had a particularly high number of very good individual goals that would suggest our position is unmerited? Which goals would they be?

I also don't think our style has been that bad recently. This season has taught us to be patient in our build up, the issue recently is we've been a goal or two down before we've got into our stride and started to hurt teams, whereas earlier in the season we were rock solid and were able to slowly build and eventually kill off teams 1-0 or 2-0. That was generally against lesser opposition though so I appreciate that is a separate, probably more valid, criticism.

Sunderland was a good performance which we would have won or at worst drawn, had it not been for poor finishing from Lankester and poor refereeing. We were pedestrian at times but you're going to get that with our style - if defenders were passing forwards every time giving the ball to the oppo we'd all be screaming for them to 'get rid' - which I think they have done at the right times on the whole this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The two games on Tuesday last . on 17:01 - Nov 12 with 219 viewsBryanPlug

The two games on Tuesday last . on 10:14 - Nov 12 by itfcjoe

Yep, the biggest embarrassment in the cup this season was our 1st team losing to Arsenal U21s and Luke Woolfenden getting injured in the game.

Had we won that game, which we should have done, beaten the Gills with the excellent performance from the kids then we'd have been through.

Does feel as though too many wanting it to go wrong rather than waiting for it to

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

The two games on Tuesday last . on 17:58 - Nov 12 with 199 viewsTieDyedIn95

The two games on Tuesday last . on 10:14 - Nov 12 by itfcjoe

Yep, the biggest embarrassment in the cup this season was our 1st team losing to Arsenal U21s and Luke Woolfenden getting injured in the game.

Had we won that game, which we should have done, beaten the Gills with the excellent performance from the kids then we'd have been through.

Does feel as though too many wanting it to go wrong rather than waiting for it to

We deserved to get dumped out because we took the piss out of the competition. We do not deserve any success at this club because we are participants only in league and cups. I don't know why the support is so accepting of this total failure. Many clubs our size have won that cup over the years and used it to push on to bigger things. We have won f'all in 40 years apart from a couple of promotions from the 2nd tier. We're dying on our feet.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The two games on Tuesday last . on 20:32 - Nov 12 with 177 viewsBryanPlug

The two games on Tuesday last . on 17:58 - Nov 12 by TieDyedIn95

We deserved to get dumped out because we took the piss out of the competition. We do not deserve any success at this club because we are participants only in league and cups. I don't know why the support is so accepting of this total failure. Many clubs our size have won that cup over the years and used it to push on to bigger things. We have won f'all in 40 years apart from a couple of promotions from the 2nd tier. We're dying on our feet.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024